Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
To me I don't see how Apple can sell 6 apps for 79 and then sell 2 for the same price. I don't even see Pages as a good competitor for Word and it certainly can't compete with Office yet.

Once iWork becomes a full Office set with an Excel like app (Numbers?) and they upgrade Pages to a more advanced word processor I will look into it more. The way Steve Jobs showed it off at MWSF kind of gave the impression that it wasn't anything big.

Anyone find Pages better than Word? I think Keynote is more up to par with Powerpoint, maybe better.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I don't find Pages better than Word but I would agree with you about Keynote. I use Keynote over PowerPoint all the time and I am waiting until they release a demo for the new version of iWork, I bought the first version last year but I just haven't used it that much, I hope that the new version will be worth upgrading too...

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
pknz said:
Anyone find Pages better than Word?
It's really unfair to compare the two. Word is a word processing program. It can be used for other things such as creating webpages or layouts, but it's not that good at these things as it is at word processing. Pages is a layout program. It can be used as a word processing program, but because it isn't a one it can't really ever compare to Word. If page layouts are more important to you, then Pages is for you. If word processing is your primary concern, then Word is for you.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
grapes911 said:
Pages is a layout program.
I think that's something a lot of people over look. I've used it to design some flyers for my dad's company and I've found it to be great at that. I've also used it for a word processor but I actually think Word is a little better right now. I was hoping this year would bring a competitor to Excel as well as add to Pages since Keynote is outstanding already. I guess we'll have to wait until next year to find out.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I was about to post an 'advice needed' thread, but this will do. :)

So I'm considering purchasing iWork '06, but I am not sure if it's the application I need. I don't do a lot of word processing, but the page layouts really interest me. I never need to do presentations, but I can always do them for fun. It may sound weird, but I may enjoy just creating presentations for the fun of it. But back onto the page layouts... I'm a graphic designer and would love doing layouts like the ones I see on Apple's site. Is this worth the $79 alone or should I wait until '07, and only if that comes with Cells (meaning an Excel-like app)? That way I'd be getting more for my money.

Thanks for the help!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Pages is a word processor with page layout capabilities, not the other way around. Get past the included templates and this will be apparent. It is not intended to be a Word clone, and thank Apple for that.

Keynote + Pages maybe isn't worth $79, but MS Office is worth $499? Come on, give me a break!

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Think of it as this way. iLife is a GREAT deal and iWork is an OK deal. I guess it wouldn't hurt for iLife to be $80 and iWork to be $50 though. But see, the applications in iLife are already on your computer, just older versions, so iLife is only an upgrade. -A great one at that!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
epepper9 said:
Think of it as this way. iLife is a GREAT deal and iWork is an OK deal. I guess it wouldn't hurt for iLife to be $80 and iWork to be $50 though. But see, the applications in iLife are already on your computer, just older versions, so iLife is only an upgrade. -A great one at that!

Oy. If Apple was selling Keynote alone for $79, that would still be a great deal. When Keynote 1.0 came out they were selling it for $99 without Pages and I never heard anyone peep in protest over the price. Now that they're bundled them together for $20 less and only $100 for a license for five installs, it's too expensive? And Office is still $499? Paint me confused!

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
I agree that it has improved in value and I definitely agree about it's value being much better than m$ office's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.