Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I have a 1st gen :apple:TV and like it very much. Biggest thing that kept me from jumping on the :apple:TV 2 bandwagon was the lack of storage. I love the ability to sync my itunes library with the :apple:TV so I don't have to worry about making sure my iMac is up in order to stream. With all the new features with airplay and using the :apple:TV 2 as a screen while playing games on the ipad and/or iPhone I thought it might be worth looking more seriously at upgrading.

Now that the jailbreak has been out for a while I was searching here to see if anyone had been using a USB flash drive as their external storage source for the :apple:TV 2. I only have the 40 GB :apple:TV so I'd probably only get a 32 GB drive to use. I can put a dozen or so movies on their and just re sync with itunes as needed. I'm looking to keep this as simple and cheap as possible.

Thanks!
Chris

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Short answer: Not possible.

If you want the long answer as to why, there are plenty of existing threads dealing with that for you to find.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Short answer: Not possible.

If you want the long answer as to why, there are plenty of existing threads dealing with that for you to find.

Actually, when I search "usb flash drive" there isn't one relevant post that comes up. Short answers are fine though.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Actually, when I search "usb flash drive" there isn't one relevant post that comes up.

True, there are many variations of the name. Flash drive, thumb drive, USB stick, external drive, etc... Additionally - From a practical point of view, the flash part is unimportant, it is equivalent to an USB HDD.

In any case, no external drive for the ATV2 :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.