Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uvacavs47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
I'm attempting to jailbreak a brand new Apple TV 2G (purchased yesterday). All firmware has been updated to the absolute newest that it can possibly be updated to.

No matter what IPSW I download and try to jailbreak using PwnageTools, it fails when I try to restore it in iTunes saying that I'm not allowed to restore to this firmware version.

Has anyone successfully jailbreaked a brand new Apple TV 2G with the newest firmware?

Thanks

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
I'm attempting to jailbreak a brand new Apple TV 2G (purchased yesterday). All firmware has been updated to the absolute newest that it can possibly be updated to.

No matter what IPSW I download and try to jailbreak using PwnageTools, it fails when I try to restore it in iTunes saying that I'm not allowed to restore to this firmware version.

Has anyone successfully jailbreaked a brand new Apple TV 2G with the newest firmware?

Thanks

I believe this happens everytime. Seems like I got the same error message, but mine is still J/B. Plug it in and turn it on. If you used pwnage tool, NitoTV should be installed. If you see it, it worked :)

uvacavs47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
I unfortunately do not have a windows machine, so pwnage tools is my only option. I don't think mine is J/B because there is no way the restore made any progress at all...

Do you all have links to the newest firmware that has been J/B already?

Thank you for your help

Josh125

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Katy, TX

ataboc

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Ca
I get this all day.

ojnjwvkw4mv1oxt

now what?

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Thread hijack,

I used seas0npass today. But I'm unable to SSH into the ATV.

any other way of getting XBMC on there?

I do NOT recommend using seas0npass because pwnage tool automatically installs NitoTV, Cydia and OpenSSH. This makes getting XBMC MUCH EASIER as you can install it through Cydia.

Pwnage tool really is the best, even for ATV2 and I have used both. With Seas0npass you have to manually install items using terminal which isn't necessarily super easy for new users.

Last edited:

uvacavs47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
I do NOT recommend using seas0npass because pwnage tool automatically installs NitoTV, Cydia and OpenSSH. This makes getting XBMC MUCH EASIER as you can install it through Cydia.

Pwnage tool really is the best, even for ATV2 and I have used both. With Seas0npass you have to manually install items using terminal which isn't necessarily super easy for new users.

I'm pretty familiar with terminal, but for the life of me cannot get PwnageTools to work... Can you provide a link to an ipsw file that will work with the absolute newest version of iOs and ATV firmware? I either get an error that says the ipsw isn't the right version, or if I get past that, iTunes says that it won't let me restore.

ataboc

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Ca
I'm pretty familiar with terminal, but for the life of me cannot get PwnageTools to work... Can you provide a link to an ipsw file that will work with the absolute newest version of iOs and ATV firmware? I either get an error that says the ipsw isn't the right version, or if I get past that, iTunes says that it won't let me restore.

i'm having the same problems.

i used iclarified's site. http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=14578

however, itunes will not let me update to that firmware.

I remember editing the .hosts file on prior jailbreaks so that itunes doesn't talk to apple during the restore process.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I used Seas0npass and was able to manually install XBMC, Plex and a few other things, all by ssh'ing into the ATV2, it was really simple and straightforward. You can Google the instructions on what to type to manually install XMBC and Plex, heck you can even cut and paste it into terminal.

ataboc

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Ca
I used Seas0npass and was able to manually install XBMC, Plex and a few other things, all by ssh'ing into the ATV2, it was really simple and straightforward. You can Google the instructions on what to type to manually install XMBC and Plex, heck you can even cut and paste it into terminal.

Had to restore and re-jailbreak but i got it.

thanks!

uvacavs47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009

Thanks, I'll give it a go when I get back home today and see what I can figure out.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Thanks, I'll give it a go when I get back home today and see what I can figure out.

I guess I wasn't clear on using pwnage tool. You create the custom IPSW, and put the ATV2 into DFU mode. Manually restore with iTunes (using option key to select the custom IPSW). Once iTunes gets to THE VERY END, it will give an error message (1604 maybe?), and say restore failed.

IT DID NOT, at least in my case. Once it gets to this point, I unplug the USB and plug in the APPLE TV to my home theater system.

Again, it looks like it failed, but actually it didn't. Boot the ATV2 and see if NitoTV is installed. Make sure you use the power cord even though the 'tools say you don't need to. Works much better.

You can use seas0npass if you are comfortable using terminal and openSSH to install software. Google for directions. I still think pwnage tool is best.

Last edited:

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.

PS-I forgot about this step. Have you done this (from the http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ website):

Update #2: Apple released a minor update to iOS 4.3 for AppleTV2G (the IPSW name still says 4.3, but the build version changed from 8F202 to 8F305). @i0n1c was once again able to quickly port his original 4.3.1 untether (the exploit that wouldn’t die!) to this version.

If you do feel like updating to the “new” 4.3, you’ll need to drop this bundle into the correct folder in PwnageTool.app. If you don’t know how to do that, there are lots of tutorials on the web, and we’d be glad to help in the comments below.

Thanks once again, @i0n1c!

uvacavs47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
I got the Apple TV Jailbroken and have installed nitoTV and XBMC, but I can't get either one to really do anything...

When I try to watch videos on hulu, I get the error message:

"Playback failed, One or more items failed to play. Check the log file for details."

What can I do now that it's Jailbroken? I was hoping to install HBO Go.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
i also had trouble jailbreaking my atv2 so i gave up and bought a 1st gen atv, jailbroke and use it,

i am not sure how to jailbreak it, because everytime i tried, i had to unplug the atv 2 from the power source and run it into the other room to plug it back into my home theater system, and it would start up, show the grey apple symbol, and no kind of jailbreak would be there, tried every app out there including seasonpass, and pawnage tool, to no avail?

maybe i was doing something wrong, dunno, but tried for hours for a few weeks, to no avail!

any suggestions?

dont mean to thread hijack, just did not want to flood board with same questions.

thanks

djdirect

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
I get this all day.

now what?

I had this message too, which then meant it was jailbroken. I then installed ATV Flash (Black), which then allows you to install Plex, XBMC, Last FM, etc.. under the maintenance menu. If you want a certain app installed, say Last FM, go to it and it'll say not installed, simply click on it and it will install it for you. Pretty simple. Hope that helps. Oh, forgot to mention that it did everything wirelessly. No micro USB cable needed.

WooBah

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
I am trying to ssh into the apple TV2. I have XMBC installed through ATV Flash Black. I am trying to install the zip file for Ice Films Plug in, but I cannot connect to the apple tv through terminal. I enter Ip address, I enter password, then I get root#. I don't knwo what root# means. What does this mean?

Here is what it looks like:

doug-semmen-computer-3:~ dsemmen$ ssh root@10.0.1.26
root@10.0.1.26's password:
Apple-TV:~ root#

uvacavs47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
I am trying to ssh into the apple TV2. I have XMBC installed through ATV Flash Black. I am trying to install the zip file for Ice Films Plug in, but I cannot connect to the apple tv through terminal. I enter Ip address, I enter password, then I get root#. I don't knwo what root# means. What does this mean?

Here is what it looks like:

doug-semmen-computer-3:~ dsemmen$ ssh root@10.0.1.26
root@10.0.1.26's password:
Apple-TV:~ root#

You are now successfully logged into the Apple TV2. I used a client like Cyberduck with SFTP (user: root, pass: alpine) to ssh into the box. Then you upload the icefilms repositoryhttp://anarchintosh-projects.googlecode.com/files/repository.googlecode.anarchintosh-projects.1.0.1.zip into /var/mobile/media and you can install addons from there.

Documentation for icefilms install: http://code.google.com/p/anarchintosh-projects/wiki/Documentation#Installing_the_repo/addon

Icefilms download: http://anarchintosh-projects.google...ry.googlecode.anarchintosh-projects.1.0.1.zip

keoshea

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2004
Use AppleTV as a looping demo system?

I volunteer at a theater that currently has three flat screen TVs in windows, which run a looping video with adverts, promos, etc.

Today, each TV has a DVD player attached, which means that monthly we have to make a new DVD, burn multiples, and then put them in the systems. At least one of the DVD players has already broken.

I'd like to replace all three with AppleTVs, but I need to be able to get the following behavior:
1. Store at least one video file locally on the AppleTV
2. On powerup, the AppleTV should begin playing the movie, and loop indefinitely

Does anyone more knowledgable know how easily I might accomplish this after jailbreaking?

The units will all get powered down every night, so the video playback needs to start up automatically. Having the ability to SSH, replace/update the video over the network is obviously a big bonus as well.

thundermustard

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2008
If you have jailbroken an iphone in the past you probably have your host file set up to go to Cydia not Apple. Remove that line and it will work.

Gene S

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2010
For the life of me, I can not get Pwnage Tools to even begin to jailbreak. Arggh!

I click on the Apple TV2 icon, it says, there is no firmware bundle. (I'm using v 4.3.3) When I open the package, I can drill down and see there is a bundle there (8F202). Even if it is not the most current version, there is one there.

So fine, I find the correct bundle (8F305) and put that in the contents. It still finds nothing. I get the 8F305 restore IPSW file and try the expert mode. I then get an incorrect bundle message. I even tried deleting the 8F202 bundle.

All the guides I find are no help. They are dated from last year with v 4.2.1, with a note saying the procedures are the same.

Any help? Or links to current files that actually work together?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.