Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Since the new Apple TV is reportedly going to be running iOS 9, I wonder what the likelihood is that it will be jailbreakable assuming the associated jb is released for iPhone/iPads soon thereafter?

Reactions: Che Castro

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
I guess my point and hope is that if the Gen 4 will run iOS 9, there is a much greater chance it will be jailbroken...

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I guess my point and hope is that if the Gen 4 will run iOS 9, there is a much greater chance it will be jailbroken...
Don't get the logic. As already pointed out the ATV3 was never jailbroken and it ran many versions of IOS that have been jailbroken for the Iphone.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
ATV 4 should have better chance to be jailbroken. Since ATV 4 will have app store and API with more features than limited ATV3, it will have more doors to be broken.

A house with only one door is much harder to break in than a house with many doors and windows.

Reactions: Che Castro

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
The Apple TV 2 & 3 never had/used a FULL version of IOS, It has always been a scaled back version.
Then once apple patched the atv2 there never was another only because of the limited code used within the ATV version of ios.
Now if apple uses the same full coded version of iOS 9, the chances are just as good as any idevice on IOS 9 for a jailbreak

ATV 4 should have better chance to be jailbroken. Since ATV 4 will have app store and API with more features than limited ATV3, it will have more doors to be broken.

A house with only one door is much harder to break in than a house with many doors and windows.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
With 2gb of ram the new Apple TV would be a nice machine to run emulators , I was thinking of getting the nvidia shield TV , but if there's a jailbreak for the Apple TV 4 that would be huge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.