Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imamully

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
I have an ATV2 and like the title says, I've used Season Pass to jailbreak it and I figured out how to install XBMC. Is there a how to from here on out? I understand people jailbreak to gain access to content, I just don't know how. From a fresh install of XBMC, what do you do next? I have seen links for repositories but just need some instruction or to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks for your time in advance.

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
What do you want to do next?

Have you setup XBMC with your sources?

Do you want to install add ons for XBMC?

You haven't really made it clear what your trying to achieve? Other than you've installed xbmc.

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
If you have a mac use Cyberduck to ssh into your apple tv. Here are two add-ons, icefilms and navi-x, which you can add and watch movies, tv shows, etc.

Download these zip files

Navi-x
http://website.navi-x.org/downloads.html

ice films repository
http://code.google.com/p/anarchintosh-projects/wiki/HowToInstallTheRepository

follow these instructions to install http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=764272&postcount=85
(with these instructions it says to use 'mobile' as the username in whatever sftp program you are using, but I, and every other guide I've seen, use 'root' as the username)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

imamully

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Thanks

Thanks Toyster, I'll check those links out tonight. From a newbie point of view, you check out these forums to learn. I read lots of posts that the ATV2 is great when you jailbreak it and install XBMC or PLEX. So I did that, I just didn't find out how to get content. I assumed that once you loaded XBMC it was just there.

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
Thanks Toyster, I'll check those links out tonight. From a newbie point of view, you check out these forums to learn. I read lots of posts that the ATV2 is great when you jailbreak it and install XBMC or PLEX. So I did that, I just didn't find out how to get content. I assumed that once you loaded XBMC it was just there.

lol same thing happened to me. I just jailbroke last week and spent about a day and a half trying to figure everything out. Now I'm happily watching movies and tv shows, ice films and navi-x are awesome. You will love it. Just glad I could help another newbie out :D

imamully

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Woo Hoo

lol same thing happened to me. I just jailbroke last week and spent about a day and a half trying to figure everything out. Now I'm happily watching movies and tv shows, ice films and navi-x are awesome. You will love it. Just glad I could help another newbie out :D

That worked great, I had a little trouble at first cause Safari would download the files and automatically open them. So when I was transferring them to my ATV2 they were not zip files. I couldn't select them and press OK, once I figured that out it was smooth sailing from there. I loaded both that you had links for - I got to check out icefilms that was pretty cool. Thanks Again.

Side note: I used cyberduck for the FTP part, I didn't have the software loaded on my imac but remembered seeing it in the app store. I went to the app store and they wanted $24 or $25 for it. I googled "CyberDuck" and went right to their website. On the site they have a FREE download.

DrEnalg

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
East Bay, CA
That worked great, I had a little trouble at first cause Safari would download the files and automatically open them. So when I was transferring them to my ATV2 they were not zip files. I couldn't select them and press OK, once I figured that out it was smooth sailing from there. I loaded both that you had links for - I got to check out icefilms that was pretty cool. Thanks Again.

Side note: I used cyberduck for the FTP part, I didn't have the software loaded on my imac but remembered seeing it in the app store. I went to the app store and they wanted $24 or $25 for it. I googled "CyberDuck" and went right to their website. On the site they have a FREE download.

Try looking for the Music Video Jukebox addon as well as Icefilms and Navi-X. It's pretty cool.

YaBoiD

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2011
Any suggestions on what steps I should take after installing xmbc but using Windows?? TIA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.