Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012
I buy iPhone. Apple is happy to take my money. If I customize it to how I want it, so what. But if I break something, I'll gladly pay for it, as it was user error. Apple happy again to take my money.

End of story. I don't get why companies get so upset about modding phones when they already have my $

It's just like modding my jeep. You're damn right I put a lift on it, and I also understand that if the lift causes an issue, I pay for it.

If apple puts a "I know you're Jailbroken" tool in place, as long as it doesn't hinder anything other than warranty, who cares. Jail breaking is do at your own risk anyways.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I'm with dhlizard. I don't think Apple cares so much about jailbreaking. They fought it really hard but once the library of congress said jailbreaking and unlocking we're not illegal, Apple conveniently stopped publicly fighting jailbreaking. I think they were fighting it so hard before that ruling because of the unlocking capabilities and not the jailbreaking capabilities. It was critical for Apple to fight it because they needed to show their carriers with whom they do business that if a customer purchased a subsidized phone then Apple would do everything in their power to prevent that person from easily jailbreaking, unlocking, and leaving said carrier. But once it was ruled legal to do such modifications, Apple stopped publicly fighting jailbreaking.

Apple has still not patched the exploit in 5.1.1. Why? Because in order for it to be harmful, your device has to be physically connected to a computer and then the user has to manually start the exploit. Basically, there's low risk involved for the unaware consumer. Plus, once they patch a firmware, all new devices get shipped with the updated iOS. Apple does not have any major problems with jailbreakers. It is virtually impossible to permanently damage your phone. Plus it's an ecosystem which promotes innovation. Generally speaking, Apple LOVES having the global impression that they produce the safest and securest devices on the market. But they also don't hate the idea that many of their consumers jailbreak their devices. Apple gets to steal the best jailbreak innovations and claim it their own in a future iOS upgrade. Plus if they permanently prevented jailbreaking, they know they would lose many customers to android devices.

That's my understanding of Apple's stance on jailbreaking. To summarize, they were mainly against jailbreaking because that easily allowed for unlocking. Apple needed to show support to their official carriers that they would try and prevent the loss of customers to unauthorized carriers. But once it became a clearly defined debate and that it was legal to jailbreak and unlock, Apple stopped putting so many resources into fighting jailbreaks.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Its the same fight Microsoft put up together with HTC on WinMo. Eventually they gave up, too much good apps,tweaks and solutions are coming out of the jailbreak/mod scene.

The official stance is still not to provide service on a jailbroken device, but in the end they'll cooperate, your still a customer for the next iDevice or Mac which they'll need to bind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.