Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jbones4710

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
So this new update (https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/01/apple-tv-software-update-adds-streaming-of-purchased-tv-shows/) means that those of us who have jailbroken should not update the apple TV, correct?

I have a 2G Ipod touch, and I jailbroke it after it lost support from apple (aka no more software updates), so I have never had this issue before.

I just got an apple TV last week, jailbroke it, installed XBMC and all that jazz, now I'm wondering if things will still work as they should. When i power on my apple TV do I just say "no" when it asks if i want to update?

Also, if the guys come out with a jailbreak for the newest OS, would I have to go through and jailbreak again, and then install XBMC, all my add ons, and get everything set up again? or would it remember how all my settings were?

Thanks for the help!

DrEnalg

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
East Bay, CA
So this new update (https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/01/apple-tv-software-update-adds-streaming-of-purchased-tv-shows/) means that those of us who have jailbroken should not update the apple TV, correct?

I have a 2G Ipod touch, and I jailbroke it after it lost support from apple (aka no more software updates), so I have never had this issue before.

I just got an apple TV last week, jailbroke it, installed XBMC and all that jazz, now I'm wondering if things will still work as they should. When i power on my apple TV do I just say "no" when it asks if i want to update?

Also, if the guys come out with a jailbreak for the newest OS, would I have to go through and jailbreak again, and then install XBMC, all my add ons, and get everything set up again? or would it remember how all my settings were?

Thanks for the help!

If you have NitoTV installed you should be able to easily find the option to block automatic update harassment. If you don't, I'm otherwise sure there's an app for that. :)

When it comes to updating, I'm not sure though. I'd kind of like to have a Vimeo app on lowtide, but on the other hand, I've already got a perfectly functional Vimeo addon for XBMC.

Jbones4710

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
If you have NitoTV installed you should be able to easily find the option to block automatic update harassment. If you don't, I'm otherwise sure there's an app for that. :)

When it comes to updating, I'm not sure though. I'd kind of like to have a Vimeo app on lowtide, but on the other hand, I've already got a perfectly functional Vimeo addon for XBMC.

So when I put XMBC on my Apple TV, i did it straight from XBMC. I knew there was a way to get NitoTV, but I wasn't interested since all I wanted was XBMC. Now after the fact I am wondering if it is possible to go back and now install NitoTV without any problems with the already installed XBMC?

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I'm sure it can be jailbroken, it's based on ios 4.3.3 which has already been successfully jailbroken, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they update the various JB apps like Seas0npass and Redsn0w. ;)

For now though don't update or you will loose EVERYTHING, all your XBMC settings, library, etc.

There is a way to backup XBMC if you want to update and then re-jailbreak, but it's involved... you have to ssh into your AppleTV and then use an FTP client to copy a certain folder off it.

Personally I stopped investing in doing a lot of setup with my XBMC because I've found I have to reinstall and update so much that it was better to just browse by "files" in XBMC rather then invest all this time setting up a fancy library...

I'm sure if you have 2000 videos your opinion may be different then mine! LOL

Jbones4710

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
There is a way to backup XBMC if you want to update and then re-jailbreak, but it's involved... you have to ssh into your AppleTV and then use an FTP client to copy a certain folder off it.

Personally I stopped investing in doing a lot of setup with my XBMC because I've found I have to reinstall and update so much that it was better to just browse by "files" in XBMC rather then invest all this time setting up a fancy library...

I'm sure if you have 2000 videos your opinion may be different then mine! LOL

Thanks for your response! (My next question is 1 - Can you show me a website where it tells me how to backup my XBMC library/settings? I am kind of familiar with SSHing and FTPing into my apple tv.) Nevermind, I just found the answer on the xbmc website (Actually in your thread djrobsd lol)

Also, just wondering if/when they come out with the new jailbreak solution, (so I am skipping getting the update from apple for now) will I be able to just go through Seas0nPass to jailbreak it and everything I had stays there, or would it pretty much start me from scratch when I go through the jailbreak process again?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.