Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RICARDOVASCO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Hi there. I've tried to jailbreak my Apple tv ( bought last week, model 199LL/A, 5.0 ( 4099) ) using Seasonpass but it doesn't work. I can't even put it in DFU mode. When I plug my Apple TV on my laptop using only the micro usb the light doesn't work ( only using power cord).
Let me know if there is a jailbreak for my model already.
Is my Atv the 2 or the 3rd generation?
Thank you all.
Ricardo

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Hi there. I've tried to jailbreak my Apple tv ( bought last week, model 199LL/A, 5.0 ( 4099) ) using Seasonpass but it doesn't work. I can't even put it in DFU mode. When I plug my Apple TV on my laptop using only the micro usb the light doesn't work ( only using power cord).
Thank you all.
Ricardo

Don't use the power cord when jailbreaking it. Only when tether booting it.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Thank you all.
Ricardo

You have an ATV3, they can't be jailbroken.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Just so you know, this can't be done with an ATV3...only the ATV2. I don't know what you have, but trust me on plugging it in. I have done it 5 or 6 times now.

RICARDOVASCO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Yes. Thats why It doesn't work. When i plug my ATV on my MBP there is no light. It seems to be off. Is there at least a tethered jailbreak or not? Do you guys think it will have a jailbreak soon?

Regards
Ricardo

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Yes. Thats why It doesn't work. When i plug my ATV on my MBP there is no light. It seems to be off. Is there at least a tethered jailbreak or not? Do you guys think it will have a jailbreak soon?

Regards
Ricardo

I think it's possible they will jailbreak it, but I doubt it will be soon. You can keep your fingers crossed though.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Regards
Ricardo

Lights are not coming up until you start the jailbreaking. You don't need the power cord.

It should be Jailbroken soon enough

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I bought a jailbroken atv2 WITH everything for $135. Brand new exceot for the jailbreak and even registered with apple. The thing is dont believe all the promises the jailbreakers make on ebay about all the stuff you can watch. A lot of it is junk. Hulu for example rarely works and if it does its not everything hulu offers. I use my atv more than my roku for netflix. Much better picture.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I bought a jailbroken atv2 WITH everything for $135. Brand new exceot for the jailbreak and even registered with apple. The thing is dont believe all the promises the jailbreakers make on ebay about all the stuff you can watch. A lot of it is junk. Hulu for example rarely works and if it does its not everything hulu offers. I use my atv more than my roku for netflix. Much better picture.

I use hulu almost every day on my ATV2, it works awesome. I would say it works perfectly 99% of the time. Rarely does something not play, once in a while it may take 30 to 60 seconds to start a show.

You might want to change your settings. Hold the menu button in while you are over the "HULU" app for more settins.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

You probably also want to check that XBMC and your Hulu plug-in are both up to date.
Both have had mutiple updates in the last few months and if you bought yours pre-JBed it might be running months old software.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
You probably also want to check that XBMC and your Hulu plug-in are both up to date.
Both have had mutiple updates in the last few months and if you bought yours pre-JBed it might be running months old software.

Thanks fir the tip but how do i check fir the latest and then how do i update?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thanks fir the tip but how do i check fir the latest and then how do i update?

Go into XBMC and then System>System Information.

It will tell you what version you are running.

If you need to update, ssh into your ATV and run:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Go into XBMC and then System>System Information.

It will tell you what version you are running.

If you need to update, ssh into your ATV and run:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

Hulu just updated and it seem to now be running fine. Ill leave xbmc alone. Ssh?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
ssh is the protocol for sending commands directly to your ATV over your network.
Since you bought yours pre-JBed then I assume its not something you're comfortable with attempting.
Was NitoTV installed on your ATV?
That program is one of the typical ways of installing XBMC in the first place and if it is there you can also use it to update it.

mcmiff

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
powered break

Guys,
I was unable to get my ATV2 into DFU without power but when using power it worked jsut fine.

Problem now is that i can't install XBMC properly, basically ive done everything else, Nito, updated files but when I install XBMC it comes up but when launching it it tries to load but then closes down.

I've tried several different of the break and install methods out there however I wondered if because I have to use power for DFU if this is part of the problem?

Any ideas welcome

Cheers

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011

I have to revise what i said above. I needed more time tweaking my unit. There is a learning curve. But now that i have i get hulu perfectly along with tons of other stuff. Navi-x is amazing.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Impossible to do with the power plugged in...but whatever. Here is a writeup how to install xbmc and hulu.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1305573/

Guys,
I was unable to get my ATV2 into DFU without power but when using power it worked jsut fine.

Problem now is that i can't install XBMC properly, basically ive done everything else, Nito, updated files but when I install XBMC it comes up but when launching it it tries to load but then closes down.

I've tried several different of the break and install methods out there however I wondered if because I have to use power for DFU if this is part of the problem?

Any ideas welcome

Cheers

mcmiff

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
I see your point however I wouldn't be able to even ssh or install into in recovery mode right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.