Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stevenator21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Hi,

I have a ipod touch 2nd generation, it is a mc model, and currently running on 4.2.1.

I want to jailbrake it, but I need a safe, reliable program to do it with.

I have a pc, so it needs to be able to run on Windows.

Also, can a ipod touch get bricked?

Please help!

Last edited:

Synthion

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
I have the exact same model. And the exact same problem.

Greenpois0n.

Great-tool on many platforms.

And you will never be able to upgrade again.

Apple has made all versions, 4.3 and up, incompatible with our iPods.

:(

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I also have a 2nd gen ipod touch. I've never jailbroken it, but now that it's no longer supported I'm pretty tempted to.

Just a few questions..is it difficult to jailbreak? how long does it take? is there a learning curve with figuring out how to operate everything after jailbreaking?

Also, can I keep all the apps I've gotten from the itunes store, and will i still be able to get them from there/sync with my itunes?

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
Not difficult at all, like said above, Greenpoison works well and has a step by step process it walk you through. I personally would JB any 2nd gen iPod touch because of the loss of support. It might slow it down a bit, but it is still worth it.

Synthion

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
I also have a 2nd gen ipod touch. I've never jailbroken it, but now that it's no longer supported I'm pretty tempted to.

Just a few questions..is it difficult to jailbreak? how long does it take? is there a learning curve with figuring out how to operate everything after jailbreaking?

Also, can I keep all the apps I've gotten from the itunes store, and will i still be able to get them from there/sync with my itunes?

A question asked too much and not answered enough.

Jailbreaking tends to be for the power user, and several people don't see the need. Jailbreaking is FAST, EASY, and relatively WITHOUT NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES. (Unlocking is a WHOLE different story.) Cydia is almost as simplistic as the App Store but isso much more open. You have to learn how to use repositories (repos), that is where apps are hosted, but even that is very simple.

I not going to write a guide, but just google it and you will find millions.

iTunes still works.

Hope you enjoy the dark side. :)

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thanks everyone! Jailbroke earlier today and so far so good. I've just been messing around with themes, enjoying seeing something other than pitch black as my wallpaper.

What are other cool things to do once your ipod is jailbroken?

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
SBsettings is a great thing to look into, access you main settings with the swipe across the bar,

if you really want certain apps but don't want to pay for them, Installous is available.

there's tweaks to add more apps inside folders more than the default 12, other tweaks to add to the dock

theres so many different things to do, its best you read up about them and decide if there for you or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.