Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
You can't even jailbreak the iPad 2 yet, so theres really no point asking.

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
When (not if) iPad 2 jailbreak is possible (which I'm assuming as what the OP meant)

Pros: Access to the file system via SSH (I use cyberduck), Jailbreak Apps like RetinaPad (High Res iPhone Apps when at 2x size), custom skins and tweaks (like making the weather icon display the forecast and temp without having to open it) and pretty much eliminating any restrictions Apple has put on the software and it's customization.

Cons: it's not out yet, obviously, but the REAL con is that you can't upgrade with everyone else. Once an Apple update is released you have to wait for the JB teams to get a JB to work with that update. Can delay access to new features.

WMuntean

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Pros: XBMC - No need to convert everything into Apple friendly codecs

Cons: Debatably less battery life

But as previously mentioned, its not out yet.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Pros: potentially limitless possibilities, more freedom.
Cons: potential instability.

In truth(using a jailbroken iPad1 as a guide), the pros, FAR outweigh the cons.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Pros: XBMC - No need to convert everything into Apple friendly codecs.

You don't need to convert into Apple-friendly formats on a stock iPad anyway. There's a variety of multi-codec video players on the App store, supporting anything from divx to avi, wmv to mkv, even .flv (yes, Flash video), and many of them are free.

It still surprises me that people struggle over jailbreaks for features that already exist on the App store for free download.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
There is a lot more reason to JB an iPad than an iPhone. Most people need iPhones to be flawless and reliable, but iPads, who cares if the software is just a little more buggy. You get a LOT of extra features out of it. I definitely plan to JB my iPad 2 once it comes out.

The biggest con is that you don't get to upgrade as soon as new iOS updates come out.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Pros. Various tweaks that generally turn out to be more fun when you can't have them than when you actually can.

Cons. Stability as mentioned. Battery life can suffer. After spending hours JBing, installing stuff, tweaking things, you have to do it all over again if you want to update the OS (and those backup apps don't work seamlessly yet).

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Pro: You can do on your iPad whatever you want.

Con: So can malicious software. Jailbreaking removes Apple's sandbox mechanisms, thus giving apps full access to everything on the device, including all your data and all system components such as the GPS and the data connection. Apps can also easily install backdoors and other bad stuff on a jailbroken device. I'd recommend not to jailbreak if you use the device for anything critical like banking or work. You should also know some basics about Unix security, like how to change the root password; otherwise you may leave yourself open to remote attacks.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
You don't need to convert into Apple-friendly formats on a stock iPad anyway. There's a variety of multi-codec video players on the App store, supporting anything from divx to avi, wmv to mkv, even .flv (yes, Flash video), and many of them are free.

It still surprises me that people struggle over jailbreaks for features that already exist on the App store for free download.

Software ffmpeg codec really struggles with HD mkvs as far as I remember (unless this has been fixed recently).

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Not worth the security risk, one of the best features of iOS is the closed environment unlike a pc.

For the sake of a couple emulators and ifile why give that up.

It's like leaving the front door to your house wide-open ...

fhd4

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Personally ...

I don't see any real reason for jailbreak ...

If I got fed up with the +300,000 apps then I might think about it...

this is if it won't disappear with the next update ...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Cons: it's not out yet, obviously, but the REAL con is that you can't upgrade with everyone else. Once an Apple update is released you have to wait for the JB teams to get a JB to work with that update. Can delay access to new features.

That's why I stopped jailbreaking, it was just taking way too long to get a JB and then I would miss out on Apple's updates. I love my iphone/ipad jailbroken and I miss it quite a bit, but waiting months to be able to upgrade my phone was just not working for me. It's a shame, but there is probably a concrete end to jailbreaking, it's already pretty niche in that it's difficult to do for the average grandmother out there, and with Apple fighting it at every turn I just don't see how much longer it can last.

Kudos to the guys who do the heavy lifting and put out the jailbreaks, I feel bad for them in their thankless job. Between the jailbreaks and some of the truly outstanding and innovative programs on Cydia I feel nothing but embarrassment for Apple.

Decked

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Pointless IMO. I did my iphone once, and took it off after a few days.
There were glitches here and there.... You pay good money for a device that works well as intended by Apple. Why change that?
My iPad 2 will remain "Apple :apple:" otherwise I should have just gone an got some other unreliable, power hungry, virus ridden tablet.... :p

skafia

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
SOCAL
For the ones who are against jailbreaking, have you ever installed/modified your car? Have you ever installed aftermarket rims, tires, exhaust, intake, stereo, or any other items that were not "intended" for use by the manufacturer?

You bought it, you can do whatever you choose with it including jailbreaking.

Has nobody mentioned Installous? Free Apps, who doesn't want that?
If security is a major concern then don't do anything that needs security on your phone. Besides, it is just a phone, right?

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
For the ones who are against jailbreaking, have you ever installed/modified your car? Have you ever installed aftermarket rims, tires, exhaust, intake, stereo, or any other items that were not "intended" for use by the manufacturer?

If security is a major concern then don't do anything that needs security on your phone. Besides, it is just a phone, right?

Installous is piracy not hacking no?

Snowelevation

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011

No, they haven't. These people bought the lexus with no plans for changing anything.

Everyone knows that the fastest cars, sexiest cars, or even the safest cars are the ones made custom. This is synonymous with phones.

ps - piracy isn't cool don't shank developers like that

Last edited:

crazycanucks

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Comex has jailbroken the iPad 2, but he hasn't publicly released the jailbreak, because I assume he's still working on packaging it and many other things I dont quite understand.

He cant release it yet, as the jailbreak he has contains Apple Source code. If he releases it, Apple will most certainly go after comex with a lawsuit like Sony did with EgoHot.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Personally ...

I don't see any real reason for jailbreak ...

If I got fed up with the +300,000 apps then I might think about it...

this is if it won't disappear with the next update ...

Show me one app in the app store that can act like a file repository AND can read from and write to an external media (i.e. SD card, thumb drive, etc.) using the camera connection kit, and I'll shrug off JBing for good. Until you can do that, JBing will continue to be attractive to me. Wifi isn't always available for transferring files, and not being able to just hand them over using some form of media is a severe and unnecessary limitation on the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.