Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
Hello everyone,

After a lot of trial and error and many patches, I have finally gotten the Java 17 JDK compiling properly for OS X 10.8-10.11 and the Java 11 JDK compiling for OS X 10.6-10.11. These operating systems have not run a modern version of Java for quite a while, so this should be very useful for modern applications.

I have tested several applications and they all work perfectly. This is still work-in-progress, so please report any issues you encounter.

Download here:
https://github.com/Jazzzny/jdk-mavericks/releases/latest

Screen Shot 2023-07-08 at 3.21.08 PM.png

P.S. For anyone who wants to play Minecraft, ATLauncher is the way to go, with full MSA Authentication support.

Tested Applications:
- Minecraft 1.20.1
- ATLauncher
- Ghidra
- JDownloader2
- IntelliJ IDEA 2023.1.3
- Pycharm 2023.1.3
- Android Studio (No emulator)

Last edited:

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Thanks for this! I'm assuming the only piece of macports legacy-support used is the libc wrapper dylib? You should be able to bundle that with the JDK so users don't have to install it separately.

Reactions: Jazzzny

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
Thanks for this! I'm assuming the only piece of macports legacy-support used is the libc wrapper dylib? You should be able to bundle that with the JDK so users don't have to install it separately.
I'm install_name_tool-ing the JVM in order to supply certain missing symbols. I plan on bundling the dylib, which I'll look into once I get the time.

Also, I've enabled the wikipost feature. For anyone, feel free to add any software that you confirm is working.

Reactions: B S Magnet

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
Hello everyone, I've also gotten 10.8 working with Java 17, albeit with some issues. I'll post my "Release 2" later today, which should contain quite a few improvements.

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
I have uploaded release 2 to GitHub. It contains:
  • 10.8 Mountain Lion support (beta)
  • Numerous compiler optimizations
  • Branding changes
  • Automated .pkg installers

Screen_Shot_2023-07-08_at_1.51.25_PM.png

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Any chance you can do the entire JDK, not just JRE? Looking at the release page this does seem to be the full jdk.

Btw some other software that can benefit from jre17 are ghidra and intellij. Intellij usually uses its own custom jre, but there's an env var you can override to use your own. I've never tried that though.

--

Ah I see you've already tested Ghidra per the OP. Nice!

Last edited:

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
IntelliJ is working perfectly after replacing it's bundled JDK with my custom build and placing the macports dylib next to IntelliJ's executable!
Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 1.15.53 PM.png

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
Same can be said for Pycharm.
Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 1.27.06 PM.png

Edit: Since Pycharm and IntelliJ rely on a dylib compiled for 10.12 to enable the macOS menubar buttons, they will not show up. To work around this, add -DjbScreenMenuBar.enabled=false to the VM options file ( Contents -> Bin -> appname.vmoptions) to enable the built-in menubar:
Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 1.37.10 PM.png

Edit 2: You can use the https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/16244-hide-title-bar plugin to get rid of the strange padding above the menu options:
Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 1.47.05 PM.png

Last edited:

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Thank you for testing, that's amazing!

>replacing it's bundled JDK with my custom build

Did you do this by setting `idea.jdk` (as per https://intellij-support.jetbrains....ecting-the-JDK-version-the-IDE-will-run-under), or is there a better way to do it?

>MenuBar
I think
https://github.com/JetBrains/intellij-community/tree/master/native/MacScreenMenu/src should have the source for that dylb. It doesn't seem like it makes particular use any 10.12+ specific symbols, so it should be possible to swizzle/polyfill whatever symbols it's trying to reference (maybe even just inserting macports legacy support might be sufficient). Is there a crash log or something you can share?

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
Reactions: f54da

veemyu

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
This is great! That is some awesome work. I'll keep updating any Java 8+ for Snow Leopard posts on StackOverflow etc. with your Java 11 Version

Reactions: Jazzzny

AnonymousProkaryotic

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
Hi! I’m not sure if I downloaded the file properly and installed it to the right place (as I’m new to this technological stuff). But when I installed the suggested file (MacOs 10.11 El Capitan), it doesn’t show up in my settings or anywhere within my computer. I’ve also deleted my old Java software in case it was due to them coexisting; but still no luck.

justluke68_

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2024
Hello everyone,

After a lot of trial and error and many patches, I have finally gotten the Java 17 JDK compiling properly for OS X 10.8-10.11 and the Java 11 JDK compiling for OS X 10.6-10.11. These operating systems have not run a modern version of Java for quite a while, so this should be very useful for modern applications.

I have tested several applications and they all work perfectly. This is still work-in-progress, so please report any issues you encounter.

Download here:
https://github.com/Jazzzny/jdk-mavericks/releases/latest

View attachment 2229930
P.S. For anyone who wants to play Minecraft, ATLauncher is the way to go, with full MSA Authentication support.

Tested Applications:
- Minecraft 1.20.1
- ATLauncher
- Ghidra
- JDownloader2
- IntelliJ IDEA 2023.1.3
- Pycharm 2023.1.3
- Android Studio (No emulator)
y'all, the git hub downloads aren't working apparently, can anyone send me the jdk for 10.6+ please? thanks

justluke68_

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2024
This is great! That is some awesome work. I'll keep updating any Java 8+ for Snow Leopard posts on StackOverflow etc. with your Java 11 Version
hey sorry if i pop up like this, i wanted to ask you if you could send me the downloaded version for 10.6-10.11, git hub isn't working apparently.. thank you

veemyu

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
Good thing I have thread messages on :D And save every kind of legacy related software to my NAS.
Here is both the Java 17 and Java 11 Version for Snow Leopard

Cheers

justluke68_

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2024
Good thing I have thread messages on :D And save every kind of legacy related software to my NAS.

Cheers
thank you so much!!! you are a life saver, i wish you a great day

justluke68_

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2024

Cheers
thank you so much!!! you are a life saver, i wish you a great day
It seems Jazzzny just restructured the GitHub Repository. Here are the updated (old) links.

thanks for the link too... also i am running into lots of issues on mac os 10.6.8, i have atlauncher and even when i install java 11 it says probably that i require java 8 but the text is all chinese, i tried a few other launchers and yet no luck, has this happened to you too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.