Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thidranki

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Virginia
I found this book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321322037/qid=1131240429/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8911231-9543221?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 laying around my school, so I decided to learn Java.

I was wondering if this a good book for learning by ones self, or is there a different book any of you would recomend? It looks like this book was meant to be used with a class or java course (which I am not in).

And if there are any good C++ books for programmers who only know how to use the "System.out.println" function in Java, could you spell those out as well? Still haven't quite decided which one I want to learn first :p

Thanks a lot.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
You can basically bet on one publisher, O'Reilly, to have great books for any subject. I use Java in a Nutshell as my best reference. Bruce Eckel's Thinking in Java and Thinking in C++ are legendary.

Suns books are fairly bad, but they are detailed.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Effective Java by Bloch is very good.

Once you've got the C++ basics then Scott Meyers books are must-haves.

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
At $94, im sure someone was upset that they lost it, and close to finals too! Hope they don't have a final project due soon:eek:
I'll second the Oriely books, but often those are just references. I've always enjoyed Deitel & Deitel books.

g0gie

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
Deitel and Deitel make the best C++ programming book in my opinion , and I have over 8 in my library. Especially good for beginners and definantly a good reference for experts. For java, check out 'Development in java', although that book expects you to know the basics of programming

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Another vote for O'Reilly. Never encountered a bad book from them. Not a big fan of Deitel books. I've tried a few, and they've all been quite disappointing.

Then, once you've gotten the basics. These two are very handy: C/C++ Programmer's Reference and Java 2 Programmer's Reference. (Couldn't find a newer/current version of the Java book, but it will still be helpful).

You could also check out the complete versions of those reference books: C++ and Java (J2SE 5). I haven't actually tried the full versions, but it's smaller siblings are within reach most of the time... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.