Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I recently ended up completely reinstalling OS X 10.4 following a nasty problem attempting to remove a 3rd party theme and restoring Aqua. While much of the reinstall has gone great I seem to be having problems with my Java and/or network setup that I didn't have before. The problem is that any network-aware Java applications are throwing IO Exceptions when connecting to network resources (such as, for example, an Oracle database using JDBC and SQLGrinder) or even to itself (such as, for example, attempting to shutdown JBoss AS). The message I get when using SQLGrinder and therefore the java.sql library is as follows:

java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

A similar message is obtained when trying to shutdown JBoss but this time the proxy is explicitly cited as the problem:

Exception in thread "main" javax.naming.CommunicationException [Root exception is java.rmi.ConnectIOException: Exception creating connection to: 170.86.28.66; nested exception is:
java.net.SocketException: Can't connect to SOCKS proxy:http://my-proxy-server.com]

If I add an exception into the "Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains" for the server that I am trying to connect to or assigned to my own computer then everything works great. However, I didn't have this problem BEFORE the reinstall of OS X so I wonder why I am getting it now.

For the record the proxy server requires no username/password and works fine for non-Java applications, such as Mail, Transmit and Safari. Proxy details are specified manually and the Automatic Proxy Configuration is not used (despite it being an available option for the proxy server) because Office applications don't seem to recognise automatic configuration settings (no idea why but there you go...).

Anyone got any ideas what the problem might be?

Java version is 1.5 Release 3 and this is set as the system default by setting the CurrentJDK to point to this 1.5 version rather than 1.4.2. However, even leaving it set to point to 1.4.2 doesn't seem to make any difference.

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Sorry, ignore this post. It turns out that the reason for the problem was that I was appending the proxy addresses with "http://" and the proxy server address returned by the automatic configuration script was slightly different to what I had. Once I made the necessary corrections I've found that everything works fine.

For some odd reason I always seem to have to post the problem before I can find the solution myself. Odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.