Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
Hey all,
I've finally convinced my dad to make the big switch from M$ to Apple for his office computers but we ran into a problem when he was using my Powerbook. He is a financial consultant and there is one website he deals with everyday to view all his clients accounts that gives an error message on my PB. Here is what the message says:

JavaScript! said:
Alert! You are currently using a browser that this site does not support. Result cannot be guaranteed with your current browser. Please contact your home office to obtain a supported version

I also tried it on my MacMini, and with Internet Explorer and Mozilla to to avail. However, it works perfectly on his Dell Laptop. Any ideas or Java updates I should know about? Software Update says I'm completely up to date with everything. Any help would be appreciated, he's close to buying a bunch of new iMacs for the office, but theres no point if he cant get to his main website! :eek:

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
The website programmers that designed the site do a check what platform the user is running and throwing out the message to mac users. Won't matter what browser you use. It has nothing to do with the version of Java he is using, just lazy web developers.

Of course you could try using the debug menu in Safari to try to fake it as a different user-agent.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030110063041629

You should also let him know he needs better web developers who should consider that not all internet users are on Windows machines...

bursty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
Thanks for that debug tip! The User Agent trick finally allowed me to login without giving me an error message, but the Java part of the site still wont load. Here is a screenshot of the Java Console Log.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    29 KB · Views: 136

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
bursty said:
Thanks for that debug tip! The User Agent trick finally allowed me to login without giving me an error message, but the Java part of the site still wont load. Here is a screenshot of the Java Console Log.

Its javascript, not Java - they are not related. If the developers are using IE specific functions you are out of luck...Based on the first error message, looks like they have some syntax errors, but relying on browsers for a decent error message is hit or miss...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.