Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Apple recently upgraded their Java VM to 1.4.2 in OS X. But there is one "catch"- it can only be accessed through WebKit. This means only Safari can use the new Java! Other browsers (like Firefox) are stuck with 1.3.1, a very old version.

Does Apple have plans to fix this? This seems like a major drawback in OS X.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
No, I don't think Apple has any plans to fix this Microsoft-like issue that they created. However, you can download JavaEmbeddingPlugin0.8.9 and install it in Internet plug-ins and it should work fine, but of course, it's still beta.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Dr. No said:
Apple recently upgraded their Java VM to 1.4.2 in OS X. But there is one "catch"- it can only be accessed through WebKit. This means only Safari can use the new Java! Other browsers (like Firefox) are stuck with 1.3.1, a very old version.

Safari is most certainly not the only WebKit-based browser. If you are going to whine, at least get your facts straight.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Dr. No said:

I agree that it's a stupid idea on Apple's part. I think Apple should not only fix this issue, but also eliminate the whole dual Java install thing - hopefully they'll do this with Tiger and make Java 5 the ONLY Java version on Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger", accessible to all applications equally. While they're at it, QuickTime for Java needs to be fixed so that Java updates don't keep breaking it :mad:

EDIT: spelling

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
This just seems silly on Apples part.

I'm able to use java 1.4.2 for anything else except browser plug-ins in non-web-kit based browser, why aren't the plug-in stuff updated?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.