Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Fascinating. I tried to update my :apple:TV2 that is JB and has XBMC on it and it will not take the update. Says "Update Unsuccessful".

I tried updating twice and it would not take. Not sure if it being JB is the cause or not.

Anyone else?

cmoore49

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2008
Same here. Probably have to restore back to normal and then update.
I will try this later tonight.

cmoore49

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2008
Lost jailbreak but that was expected. Figure they will have that done in no time.
After restore I updated to new firmware and just now trying out new AirPlay to see.

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Lost jailbreak but that was expected. Figure they will have that done in no time.
After restore I updated to new firmware and just now trying out new AirPlay to see.

What method did you use to restore ?

I am not sure if I will JB again after update. I may go the way of the Mini and plex.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
What method did you use to restore ?

I am not sure if I will JB again after update. I may go the way of the Mini and plex.

1. Disconnect hdmi and power cord from ATV2
2. Open iTunes on Mac
3. Plug micro-USB into ATV2 and other end into Mac
4. ATV2 will show in iTunes, then hit Restore

By doing this, it will get rid of Nitro TV and Plex/XBMC/anything else installed via JB AND will auto load latest iOS update (in this case iOS 4.3 - or as the ATV2 reads it, 4.2).

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
2. Open iTunes on Mac

By doing this, it will get rid of Nitro TV and Plex/XBMC/anything else installed via JB AND will auto load latest iOS update (in this case iOS 4.3 - or as the ATV2 reads it, 4.2).

I did exactly this and iTunes still cannot successfully update my firmware to 4.3. And yes, well aware I will lose my JB. Haven't been using any of the features to be honest.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2006
What is the best way to backup your settings and JB and XBMC settings, etc? And can anyone confirm that the untethered greepois0n still installs on iOS 4.3?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I did exactly this and iTunes still cannot successfully update my firmware to 4.3. And yes, well aware I will lose my JB. Haven't been using any of the features to be honest.

Try a different computer. My iMac won't restore my ATV but my macbook will, go figure.

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Is anyone that is still running 4.2.1 have XBMC crash all the time now because the update is available?

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2005
I love plex. I am going to hold out as long as possible, or until they come out with the next jailbreak.

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada
2. Open iTunes on Mac

This worked for me. Restored and updated to 4.3 without a hitch. Thank you. Now to wait patiently for the eventual new mini.

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada
So wait, does the JB not work when you update?

Unfortunately no. I had to do a full restore to get the update. or in my case, follow the instructions with connecting my :apple:TV to my laptop. XBMC was wiped clean. Not sure if JB will work for 4.3. If not, it won't be long.

Greydog

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2004
Yup

Is anyone that is still running 4.2.1 have XBMC crash all the time now because the update is available?

Actually, yes. Had XMBC running flawlessly for 3 weeks now since JB. Last night checked and saw update was available, but did not install. In fact, nitoTV set to block updates. Yes WBMC crashed 3 times even after reboot of ATV on TV files encoded w/ HB. Very strange...:(

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada

Tried Airplay myself. Worked fantastic from my iPhone to ATV. Pretty neat. I look forward to the speaker solutions that are coming in a couple of months.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2006
Unfortunately no. I had to do a full restore to get the update. or in my case, follow the instructions with connecting my :apple:TV to my laptop. XBMC was wiped clean. Not sure if JB will work for 4.3. If not, it won't be long.

Is there a way to backup JB and XBMC settings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.