Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I tried to JB with the PwnageTool but it kept giving me an error on the wrong bundle.

Then i tried using Seas0nPass and it looked like it was going to work, took a few tries to get it into DFU mode, but after connecting the USB cable directly to my iMac it worked.

But then iTunes gave me this Error.

Attachments

• ATV Error.jpg
    ATV Error.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
What build number of the firmware did you download? You have to make sure the build you downliad isn't older than the one that is currently on the AppleTV, that's what was wrong when I got the same error, so I found the proper build and redownloaded it and it went perfectly.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Same error with Seas0onPass and with PwnageTool, i get an error that i have the wrong bundle.

It then ask if i want to search for it and i do, the file it wants is "iPad, AppleTV 2G 4.1 ipsw" i find it and download it, but still no go.

Attachments

• wrong bundle.jpg
    wrong bundle.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 98

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
What build number of the firmware did you download? You have to make sure the build you downliad isn't older than the one that is currently on the AppleTV, that's what was wrong when I got the same error, so I found the proper build and redownloaded it and it went perfectly.

For which one, Seas0nPass or Pwnage tool

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Ok ii am giving up for the day on this.

i have tried to use Seas0nPass, it downloads it's own file (AppleTV2,1_4.3_8F305_SP_Restore) and iTunes rejects with the "device isn't eligible" error.

I am using Seas0nPass version 0.7.6 (73)

PwnageTool has also be failing.

ash06

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
Can anyone shed some light/had any success with these firmwares & iTunes 10.3.1?
I curious to experience what xbmc on :apple:TV is like! :)

DrEnalg

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
East Bay, CA
Check out this, and most importantly this (I think it's the step some of you are missing).

Again, it's the "modify package contents" step I think is what's causing the problem for some here - basically I had to do this to make sure Pwnage 'knew' what IPSW file it needed to use in order to complete the JB... at least that's what it seemed like.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Again, it's the "modify package contents" step I think is what's causing the problem for some here - basically I had to do this to make sure Pwnage 'knew' what IPSW file it needed to use in order to complete the JB... at least that's what it seemed like.

Well, this did move me past the create custom ipsw step in PwnageTool, but i am still getting the error from itunes when i select the custom ipsw.

what PwnageTool creates: AppleTV2,1_4.3_8F305_Custom_Restore.ipsw

and this is what i chose in iTunes (while holding down the option key and clicking restore).

iTunes will tease me and i think its going to work, but then i get this error.

Attachments

• Photo Jul 19, 8 54 12 PM.jpeg
    Photo Jul 19, 8 54 12 PM.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 103

DrEnalg

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
East Bay, CA
Well, this did move me past the create custom ipsw step in PwnageTool, but i am still getting the error from itunes when i select the custom ipsw.

what PwnageTool creates: AppleTV2,1_4.3_8F305_Custom_Restore.ipsw

and this is what i chose in iTunes (while holding down the option key and clicking restore).

iTunes will tease me and i think its going to work, but then i get this error.

Again, not sure this is a necessary step, but did you alter your etc/hosts file and have it point to the Saurik server? This, I believe, needs to happen in order to "fool" iTunes into thinking it's communicating with the Apple server - which allows the custom ipsw to be signed and approved.

And if you do that you might as well save your shsh blobs via Tinyumbrella.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Again, not sure this is a necessary step, but did you alter your etc/hosts file and have it point to the Saurik server? This, I believe, needs to happen in order to "fool" iTunes into thinking it's communicating with the Apple server - which allows the custom ipsw to be signed and approved.

And if you do that you might as well save your shsh blobs via Tinyumbrella.

Ok, since that is all Greek to me i can say no, i have not done that. Is that covered in the links you provided earlier.

DrEnalg

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
East Bay, CA
Ok, since that is all Greek to me i can say no, i have not done that. Is that covered in the links you provided earlier.

No. Read this, learn this, love this.

After re-reading it I think this is the step you need. So, basically, in order to JB AppleTV you need to do three basic things

1) Have the appropriate JB software (I prefer Pwnagetool), and the appropriate (customized) IPSW file

2) Make sure the JB software is properly instructed *which* IPSW file it needs (hence the 'modify package contents' step mentioned earlier in this thread)

3) Alter your etc/hosts file to make sure iTunes doesn't communicate with the Apple server when it's installing the custom IPSW file - because Apple doesn't digitally "sign" custom IPSWs (because they don't approve of jailbreaking!)

Then, you should be done, and ready to JB.

For my part, I found in Pwnagetool that you need to have the power cord inserted in the ATV2 when you're running the JB (unlike in the instructions), but other than that it runs smoothly.

margotspop

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. The solution for me was to edit my hosts file. You can do this via Terminal. There were a couple of mapped IP's in there that prevented iTunes from connecting to the server to verify the install. Do a quick google on this and you'll see which IP's to remove - I think it was anything that started with gs.apple...

Keep a copy of your original hosts file and then try editing it. It worked for me.

DrEnalg

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
East Bay, CA
I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. The solution for me was to edit my hosts file. You can do this via Terminal. There were a couple of mapped IP's in there that prevented iTunes from connecting to the server to verify the install. Do a quick google on this and you'll see which IP's to remove - I think it was anything that started with gs.apple...

Keep a copy of your original hosts file and then try editing it. It worked for me.

Yeah, I saw you can edit the hosts file via the terminal - I just located it with the "view" Finder command, then I opened it and edited via Textedit. Pretty straightforward.

margotspop

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
No. Read this, learn this, love this.

3) Alter your etc/hosts file to make sure iTunes doesn't communicate with the Apple server when it's installing the custom IPSW file - because Apple doesn't digitally "sign" custom IPSWs (because they don't approve of jailbreaking!)

Looks like I got it the wrong way around - you edit the hosts file to *prevent* Apple from verifying it.

Bijiont

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
I had the same error and had HOST name information correct.

I figured it was something to do with my 10.7 install so I just did a reboot into Windows 7 and did the seas0npass break there with no issues. Bootcamp <3

Something else you can try if you don't already have it working. The entire process takes less than 2 minutes for seas0npass.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I had the same error and had HOST name information correct.

I figured it was something to do with my 10.7 install so I just did a reboot into Windows 7 and did the seas0npass break there with no issues. Bootcamp <3

Something else you can try if you don't already have it working. The entire process takes less than 2 minutes for seas0npass.

i might be able to borrow a lap top running windows 7 so i can try this.

If i an understanding you, you did not need to to edit any of the host files, you just used seasonpass for windows and all wnet well.

UniPro

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
Having the exact same problem, doesn't matter what I do. Edited my hosts file and I still get the same erro. Tried under Windows and having problems getting the programs to work.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm extremely frustrated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.