Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Does anyone know of a fast, stable JB-based AOSP ROM for an AT&T SGS3?

I'm a member of XDA, and have taken a look, but there are just so many different ROMs there, it's difficult to find out what works really well.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
CM10 official builds are always going to be your best bet. They won't support devices without stable/workable drivers.

I agree. I'm using an international version but I'd say these guys probably release the best ROMs and I'm assuming it's no different for the AT&T version.

I'm actually running Paranoid Android on mine but it is based on CM10. I haven't had any issues other than wifi tethering not working but it's a known issue with CM10. I'm running a slightly older build of PA in which wifi tethering works strangely.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I agree. I'm using an international version but I'd say these guys probably release the best ROMs and I'm assuming it's no different for the AT&T version.

I'm actually running Paranoid Android on mine but it is based on CM10.

That's where I'm getting confused. There are many ROMs based on CM10, and then the CM10 nightlies.

I'm looking for a stable release that won't be replaced the next day. Are there actual releases of CM10?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
That's where I'm getting confused. There are many ROMs based on CM10, and then the CM10 nightlies.

I'm looking for a stable release that won't be replaced the next day. Are there actual releases of CM10?

I don't think there's a "stable" version of CM10 yet, at least not for the international GS3. I don't think that means that the nightlies aren't stable enough for daily use, just that the next nightly will have bug fixes and maybe new features which you could take advantage of should you choose to flash the nightlies nightly or whenever you want to. I would say CM10 is definitely stable for daily use ever since they fixed the memory leak issue.

Here's the link to CM10 downloads for your phone http://get.cm/?device=d2att

Just make a nandroid of your stock or current ROM and if you see that CM10 isn't for you then go back to that. That's the worst case scenario.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Nightlies are pretty stable. Again, they wouldn't be posting them if they weren't ALMOST a daily driver. The devices go through like three months of driver/use testing prior to CM supported status. "Stable" marked builds are coming when the CM code is finalized, which probably will be in November/December.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
I haven't had any issues other than wifi tethering not working but it's a known issue with CM10.

Is it? I'm running the October 6 nightly on my vzw Galaxy Nexus and I haven't tested portable hotspot. If I need it at some point, will it not work?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
It's been a while since I checked out the thread, but last time I looked at CM10 it was suffering from a bad memory leak. I would check the thread and see if people are still reporting that.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Good luck and let us know what you think afterwards.

I had an issue with the CM10 nightly not being able to reach certain servers, so I wiped and installed ParanoidAndroid. Working great so far. Thanks.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I had an issue with the CM10 nightly not being able to reach certain servers, so I wiped and installed ParanoidAndroid. Working great so far. Thanks.

If you haven't already, you should look into the tablet/hybrid mode features for certain apps on that ROM. With the S3 having such a big screen it's great to be able to use some apps in tablet/hybrid mode :D

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If you haven't already, you should look into the tablet/hybrid mode features for certain apps on that ROM. With the S3 having such a big screen it's great to be able to use some apps in tablet/hybrid mode :D

Yeah, I noticed that, and it is nice in the apps I've tried - esp. gmail.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I don't think there's a "stable" version of CM10 yet, at least not for the international GS3. I don't think that means that the nightlies aren't stable enough for daily use, just that the next nightly will have bug fixes and maybe new features which you could take advantage of should you choose to flash the nightlies nightly or whenever you want to. I would say CM10 is definitely stable for daily use ever since they fixed the memory leak issue.

Here's the link to CM10 downloads for your phone http://get.cm/?device=d2att

Just make a nandroid of your stock or current ROM and if you see that CM10 isn't for you then go back to that. That's the worst case scenario.
Cyanogen actually prefers the us version as Qualcomm has been more helpful with drivers. Qualcomm helped them properly implement project butter. They've had trouble doing so with the exynos. Its actually strange causes Qualcomm had some crappy ICS drivers. The omap and the tegra 3 still have the best GPU drivers at the moment still as far as interface smoothness.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
After having this ROM for the weekend, it looks like I'll be sticking with it. Thanks for all the help.

tperry

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
East Texas

You won't get a "stable" release of JB anywhere on any US carrier phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.