Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I detest the red dot that comes up on the settings app on my phone. Especially now that it’s suggesting I update to 13.5.1 which I don’t wanna do since it’ll get rid of my jailbreak.
Surely there must be a reliable tweak?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I detest the red dot that comes up on the settings app on my phone. Especially now that it’s suggesting I update to 13.5.1 which I don’t wanna do since it’ll get rid of my jailbreak.
Surely there must be a reliable tweak?

I’m using KeepMyJB. Don’t know yet if it really works. I don’t want to jinx myself but I haven’t seen the red dot yet.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Download iCleaner Pro and go into the + then Launch Daemons then toggle off OTA update daemon then Tap apply. run iCleaner. If the update is downloaded in your storage. Delete it.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Download iCleaner Pro and go into the + then Launch Daemons then toggle off OTA update daemon then Tap apply. run iCleaner. If the update is downloaded in your storage. Delete it.

I onlycame across iCleaner in Cydia so downloaded that. Said it was updated on June 7th 2020. Says it can remove the OTA downloaded files.
Gonna try it now. Unless you think the Pro version (which I can’t find) is better.

theclassicblunders

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
Just for future reference, when that notification shows on the settings icon, it means your device has already downloaded the update file. You can get rid of the app badge by going into settings>general>iPhone storage. Somewhere in the list will be a software update file, usually several gb’s in size. Just tap on it and then tap on the delete option. With the file deleted, the app badge should disappear as well. However, as long as you have the “automatically install updates” option disabled, your device shouldn’t install it without your confirmation. I think, though I may be wrong, that once you delete the file, your device won’t redownload it, but it will download the next update to be released in the future.

For a more permanent solution, open iCleaner and tap on the + icon on the bottom left of the screen to access the advanced options menu. The first heading is Launch Daemons. Tap on that and scroll down to “OTA update daemons” and toggle the switch to the off position. I recommend leaving all the other settings alone unless you thoroughly understand what they are but disabling the OTA daemon is pretty safe. It just prevents your device from checking for and downloading future updates.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I rebooted my phone last week and was semi jailbroken. Once I was fully jailbroken I downloaded BadgeMeNot and it removed the red update dot from the settings, which popped up after restoring my phone. The red dot is gone and I’ve been good for almost a week now.

blikum

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2006
I rebooted my phone last week and was semi jailbroken. Once I was fully jailbroken I downloaded BadgeMeNot and it removed the red update dot from the settings, which popped up after restoring my phone. The red dot is gone and I’ve been good for almost a week now.
Thank you. This worked great.

Reactions: StaceyMJ86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.