Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Hi there,

For those of us owning a JBL Link Portable Speaker (Wifi):

its kind of coincidental, last monday I did an update of my iPhone to iOS 14.7 when the next day our Airplay2 compatible JBL Link Portable speaker started having problems: even though the speaker is on standby, it often refuses connection. Usually a power cycle helps, but it annoying. The real problem was that it just stops playing music after a few tracks.
At first I thought it was a new bug in iOS14.7 with Airplay2, but after a few days we found that isn't device/OS specific. Playback also stopped from an AppleTV, Mac or iPhones that still had iOS14.6 or lower. Eventually we did find a pattern: the speaker stopped playing music on fixed moments in time. Every 15 minutes on the clock it just stopped and the upper front LED were flashing. iTunes (Mac) or the Music app on an iPhone apparently did not lose the Airplay2 connection, they just stopped playing music. Music resumes quickly after pressing play again, but 15 minutes later...?

Since there seems to be no JBL app that can connect and diagnose the speaker, I started monitoring my network. I found no WiFi interruptions, no internet interruptions on all moments the JBL stopped working. So I looked into the router/firewall logs and there it was:
The JBL Link Portable is quietly connecting to several internet addresses. While our device is not setup for Google, it still tries to connect to a few google.com hosts. It also uses the NTP service from Google, even though the local network has its own NTP (advertised by the DHCP server). It also is connecting to "ota2.redbend.com", some service (JBL owned) that provides Over-The-Air updates.

Since do not like devices "secretly" connecting to Google I created a firewall rule to block the JBL to the internet entirely. And then the music didn't stop anymore. After fiddling some more I narrowed it down to this: when the JBL connects to "ota2.redbend.com" playback stops.
That service seems to be not working properly. On each moment the JBL connects, the playback stops.

So at this moment I've setup a firewall rule to restrict the JBL speaker to only the local network and the subnet of my ISP. Now the speaker keeps on playing music again.

I've searched on Google for more on this ota2 server, but no results. Anyone having similar experiences with the JBL speaker? Could it be related to DDoS attacks on several server parks around the world this week?

(I haven't send in a ticket at JBL yet)

mw.djc.pl

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2021
I have exactly the same problem. My Jbl link portable losts connection every 9 minutes. Yesterday I thought the problem disapeared because it worked for 3 hours but the problem backed.

@Powerbooky - if you set firewall rule that allows JBL connect only to local network then how it can connect for instance to spotify?

billnel

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
I also had this problem. Thanks for the investigation work @Powerbooky. I successfully resolved it by just blocking access to "ota2.redbend.com" from my network. I'm guessing that means I won't be getting any more firmware updates tho.

Also emailed JBL support to find out if there's a better a fix.

Kietz

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2021
Hi there,

For those of us owning a JBL Link Portable Speaker (Wifi):

its kind of coincidental, last monday I did an update of my iPhone to iOS 14.7 when the next day our Airplay2 compatible JBL Link Portable speaker started having problems: even though the speaker is on standby, it often refuses connection. Usually a power cycle helps, but it annoying. The real problem was that it just stops playing music after a few tracks.
At first I thought it was a new bug in iOS14.7 with Airplay2, but after a few days we found that isn't device/OS specific. Playback also stopped from an AppleTV, Mac or iPhones that still had iOS14.6 or lower. Eventually we did find a pattern: the speaker stopped playing music on fixed moments in time. Every 15 minutes on the clock it just stopped and the upper front LED were flashing. iTunes (Mac) or the Music app on an iPhone apparently did not lose the Airplay2 connection, they just stopped playing music. Music resumes quickly after pressing play again, but 15 minutes later...?

Since there seems to be no JBL app that can connect and diagnose the speaker, I started monitoring my network. I found no WiFi interruptions, no internet interruptions on all moments the JBL stopped working. So I looked into the router/firewall logs and there it was:
The JBL Link Portable is quietly connecting to several internet addresses. While our device is not setup for Google, it still tries to connect to a few google.com hosts. It also uses the NTP service from Google, even though the local network has its own NTP (advertised by the DHCP server). It also is connecting to "ota2.redbend.com", some service (JBL owned) that provides Over-The-Air updates.

Since do not like devices "secretly" connecting to Google I created a firewall rule to block the JBL to the internet entirely. And then the music didn't stop anymore. After fiddling some more I narrowed it down to this: when the JBL connects to "ota2.redbend.com" playback stops.
That service seems to be not working properly. On each moment the JBL connects, the playback stops.

So at this moment I've setup a firewall rule to restrict the JBL speaker to only the local network and the subnet of my ISP. Now the speaker keeps on playing music again.

I've searched on Google for more on this ota2 server, but no results. Anyone having similar experiences with the JBL speaker? Could it be related to DDoS attacks on several server parks around the world this week?

(I haven't send in a ticket at JBL yet)
Hey thanks for this. I’m having the same issue i.e losing connection at each quarter hour. Any chance you could let me know how to block that server. I have no idea where to even start.

mrdarcysdream

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2021
I have been having the exact same issue for a week or two now, sending me crazy. I don't have the skills at hand to set up a firewall rule, any tips @Powerbooky ? Thanks old chap :)

Kietz

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2021
Hey thanks for this. I’m having the same issue i.e losing connection at each quarter hour. Any chance you could let me know how to block that server. I have no idea where to even start.
Funny thing.
I have been having the exact same issue for a week or two now, sending me crazy. I don't have the skills at hand to set up a firewall rule, any tips @Powerbooky ? Thanks old chap :)
If you hold down the powe button for 15 seconds it will trigger a software update. Then you’ll have to reinstall on Google Home. Should do the trick.

mrdarcysdream

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2021
I figured it out but only after an hour or two getting into the nitty gritty of my router (which will be slightly different for different brands and models of router) so its not a universal fit.

izespe

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2021
Belarus
@mrdarcysdream hey, what have you done with the router? Is everything still good?

I had tried 5ghz and 2.4ghz connections with different channels - nothing changed :/

Last edited:

izespe

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2021
Belarus
Got an answer from the support. It actually solved the problem without getting into the nitty gritty of the router.

On the basis of the information provided, I recommend that you try the following:
Remove Link Portable from Google Home
Factory Reset: Long press the mute microphone button for > 10 seconds
HW Reset: Long press the power button for > 10 seconds (The unit will go to off mode, need to press power button again)
Set-up again via Google Home
Should now show show following updates:
System firmware version: 21235130
Cast Firmware: 1.52.246654
If this unit is still showing previous firmware, wait 24 hours then check again

billnel

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
Seems like JBL has resolved this. They said to make sure your link portable has the latest firmware version to take advantage of the fix. Good luck.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
I've reset our JBL two weeks ago, haven't seen the fiashing front LED's anymore but on some occasions music stopped again. I don't know which firmware is running now.

But the two bugs that remain:

1) you still cannot pair with bluetooth once you've setup the speaker with Airplay2/Homekit. You still need the @^%@&%@$ Google Home app to enable bluetooth pairing. Why???? The bt button on the device still useless?

2) The one thing I'd like permanently disabled is all Google services the speaker is secretly trying to access. The speaker still reacts on "Hey Google" (with a boing boing), even though it is not setup at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.