Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fb3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Hi all (apologies if this should go into another subgroup - please move if you please).

I‘m about to receive a 2017 iMac 27 with 512SSD (yeah!). Well, I wanted to expand it with an Atiko 2x 2.5 drive (?) external enclosure that connects via Thunderbolt2 using two Samsung 512GB SSDs (850 EVO I think) to get me another 1TB of rel. fast SSD storage since I already have those parts.

I would need to buy me the tb2->tb3 adapter but the other gear is already here...

Now, I wonder what the best setup would be?

I wanted to use JBOD (one big drive / concatenated), have APFS (?), TRIM enabled...

Now, is this advisable? Is TRIM supported for JBODs? Also, is it save to APFS for such a setup?

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi all (apologies if this should go into another subgroup - please move if you please).

I‘m about to receive a 2017 iMac 27 with 512SSD (yeah!). Well, I wanted to expand it with an Atiko 2x 2.5 drive (?) external enclosure that connects via Thunderbolt2 using two Samsung 512GB SSDs (850 EVO I think) to get me another 1TB of rel. fast SSD storage since I already have those parts.

I would need to buy me the tb2->tb3 adapter but the other gear is already here...

Now, I wonder what the best setup would be?

I wanted to use JBOD (one big drive / concatenated), have APFS (?), TRIM enabled...

Now, is this advisable? Is TRIM supported for JBODs? Also, is it save to APFS for such a setup?

If you want single large partition, and you are combining 2x same capacity hard drive, using RAID 0 usually better. It gives you the same size as JBOD, but double the speed.

JBOD is good for combining different size hard drive. And if one of the drive failed, you may still able to recover part of data. But in general, you should have proper backup regardless JBOD or RAID 0, so that should not be a matter. And can only recover part of data sure is not good enough for most case.

IMO, avoid APFS as much as possible at this moment, unless one of your main usage is keep duplicating files and mod them into different versions. APFS shouldn't give you too much benefit but much more potential trouble.

TRIM, I am not sure if it support JBOD or RAID. From memory, it can work as long as you use disk utility to RAID them. But I am really not sure about this (for info, iMac Pro's SSD is also RAIDed by default, and TRIM is supported). However, IMO, you are using an expensive way to install 2x 850 Evo. All you need is just connect them via USB, then you are good to go. The only down side is no RAID available via USB, but if you plan to RAID them, TRIM may not work anyway.

fb3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Hi.

Yeah, price of thunderbolt stuff is insane. However, I already have the components (2x 850 Evolution 500GB, two-bay thunderbolt enclosure)... I'm just wondering if I should get me a new two-bay usb-c or thunderbolt 3 enclosure or rather the Apple TB2 TB3 dongle and reuse the Akitio Thunder Duo (https://www.akitio.com/portable-storage/neutrino-thunder-duo)...

Depending on possible issues I'm fine with one volume (Raid0 or JBOD - will do frequent backups anyways), but could also work with two independent volumns (want to use half for getting my large dropbox folder of the main computer and half for scratch)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi.

Yeah, price of thunderbolt stuff is insane. However, I already have the components (2x 850 Evolution 500GB, two-bay thunderbolt enclosure)... I'm just wondering if I should get me a new two-bay usb-c or thunderbolt 3 enclosure or rather the Apple TB2 TB3 dongle and reuse the Akitio Thunder Duo (https://www.akitio.com/portable-storage/neutrino-thunder-duo)...

Depending on possible issues I'm fine with one volume (Raid0 or JBOD - will do frequent backups anyways), but could also work with two independent volumns (want to use half for getting my large dropbox folder of the main computer and half for scratch)

If you already have this, IMO, just buy an adaptor make much more sense. 2x 850Evo can't saturate a Thunderbolt 2 connection. No point to go TB 3.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Personally I prefer independent drives. If one fails with JBOD or RAID 0, you will lose everything. If one fails with independent drives, you only lose that one drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.