Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
The stylus (well, pencil) is not sold with the device it's an accessory for a set target audience, and if you think that a product is a failure because professional artists need a stylus to draw with rather than their fingers then you don't understand the industry or even topic lol

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Found this and started bursting with laughters

Did you ever have an early Windows phone that needed a stylus because the on-screen keyboard and buttons were too tiny to operate with a finger? Or an early Android phone that would gradually accumulate background apps and grind to a halt until you fired up a task manager and manually killed them?

Jobs was right at the time - but technology moves on and mobile devices are now more powerful and being used for far more applications. You don't need a stylus to operate an iPad Pro, but having one opens up new areas of use.

That said, I'm skeptical about how successful the iPad Pro will be: I can see the applications, but wonder if they'll attract a big enough market to satisfy Apple.

Reactions: Simplicated

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
This is a dumb thread. Have you been living under a rock the last few months? Literally every article about the iPad Pro/Pencil has lead with some stupid quip about these comments from Jobs.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Did you ever have an early Windows phone that needed a stylus because the on-screen keyboard and buttons were too tiny to operate with a finger? Or an early Android phone that would gradually accumulate background apps and grind to a halt until you fired up a task manager and manually killed them?

Jobs was right at the time - but technology moves on and mobile devices are now more powerful and being used for far more applications. You don't need a stylus to operate an iPad Pro, but having one opens up new areas of use.

That said, I'm skeptical about how successful the iPad Pro will be: I can see the applications, but wonder if they'll attract a big enough market to satisfy Apple.

Yes, this.

And a whole lot of other things.

Wasteland me thinks? Vote? :D

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Steve is referring to the navigation of the device. If you need a stylus to navigate the device, "you blew it".

His comment doesn't apply to the iPad Pro, since you don't need an Apple Pencil to use the interface. He was mocking devices like a Palm Pilot (I miss that thing!), which required a stylus for operation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.