Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I highly doubt Jobs would take on a position within Disney. As it is, he seems to have enough on his plate. Besides, it seems within Disney, there's too many chiefs and not enough indians as it is. Metaphorically speaking.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
Re: Pixar purchase not going to happen

Originally posted by Splunge
Take a look at the share price of Berkshire Hathaway (BRKa): $84,200 - Yes, eighty four thousand two hundred dollars for 1 share.
Impressive!!

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Re: Re: Pixar purchase not going to happen

Originally posted by sjk
Impressive!!

I remember following this company when I was a Junior in high school, some six years ago. Then, I remember it being $8000-$9000 a share.

themacolyte

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2002
Originally posted by strider42
Jobs isn't responsible for just about anything creative in his life. Jobs has input, but none of it is really his design or vision.

What he is though is an executive who allows those under him to do their best work, to be creative and try new things.

He is responsible for defining what 'creative' is within the walls of Apple. Liken it to a director who is given several hundred designs for one character in a movie (I'm thinking of Peter Jackson here). Ultimately, the team did the creation, but the director defined it, pushed it, asked for specific changes, etc. The products leaving Apple are the creations of hundreds, filtered through and approved by the narrowed goals and vision of a very few people, Jobs being chief among them.

If he chooses well, they have a hit, otherwise they tank (cube). He's done well over the past several years, much better than his predecessors who probably didn't act as much as a dictatorial creative driver and filter as he does.

And I think he does let Apple employees try new things, within the confines of his own control :)

Actually, that reminds me... I believe a promo video for the flat panel iMac (maybe a news article, it's been awhile now!) showed Ives explaining the iterative design process. Jobs made comments that influenced the floating LCD design (something along the idea of letting the form follow the function and letting the LCD be an LCD). If not for instances like that, just good enough would be the norm at Apple again. Jobs makes everyone push further.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by themacolyte
He is responsible for defining what 'creative' is within the walls of Apple. Liken it to a director who is given several hundred designs for one character in a movie (I'm thinking of Peter Jackson here). Ultimately, the team did the creation, but the director defined it, pushed it, asked for specific changes, etc. The products leaving Apple are the creations of hundreds, filtered through and approved by the narrowed goals and vision of a very few people, Jobs being chief among them.

If he chooses well, they have a hit, otherwise they tank (cube). He's done well over the past several years, much better than his predecessors who probably didn't act as much as a dictatorial creative driver and filter as he does.

And I think he does let Apple employees try new things, within the confines of his own control :)

Actually, that reminds me... I believe a promo video for the flat panel iMac (maybe a news article, it's been awhile now!) showed Ives explaining the iterative design process. Jobs made comments that influenced the floating LCD design (something along the idea of letting the form follow the function and letting the LCD be an LCD). If not for instances like that, just good enough would be the norm at Apple again. Jobs makes everyone push further.

Well that was kind of my point. I was writing in response to a post that said pixar's creativity really had little to do with jobs. Same as at apple the actual creatiojn general has little to do with him, though it certainly is shaped and approved by him. His strength is as an executive that pushes for innovative design and not compromising because something might be risky, not a content creator per say.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
All I can say is if Pixar and Disney merge and Steve moves all his people into Disney Studios, then I call first dibs on Pixar's old digs.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Originally posted by the_mole1314
Anyone saying Disney is doing well now is joking themselves. They are in trouble.

Yeah, what was I thinking.. I must have been out of my mind. They're only about a dollar under their 52 week high and trading up.

LOL

big.chart

Jobs at Apple: Creative Director. Guides vision and runs the company at his own whim.

Jobs at Pixar: Stands back and hopes he doesn't screw up John L.'s work. More of concerned investor than a hands-on job (and he's admitted as much in interviews)

2 different roles and if Jobs was at Disney he'd most certainly adopt the "Apple" role (after all, that's what board members are supposed to do.)

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Originally posted by legion
Yeah, what was I thinking.. I must have been out of my mind. They're only about a dollar under their 52 week high and trading up.

LOL

big.chart

Jobs at Apple: Creative Director. Guides vision and runs the company at his own whim.

Jobs at Pixar: Stands back and hopes he doesn't screw up John L.'s work. More of concerned investor than a hands-on job (and he's admitted as much in interviews)

2 different roles and if Jobs was at Disney he'd most certainly adopt the "Apple" role (after all, that's what board members are supposed to do.)

Did I ever say the STOCK was the problem? No you need to know what's going inside the company. Eisner is cutting back massively. Feature Animation is almost dead, the theme parks are being stripped down. Eisner even wants to outsource the running of the parks and hotels to outside vendors.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Did I ever say the STOCK was the problem? No you need to know what's going inside the company. Eisner is cutting back massively. Feature Animation is almost dead, the theme parks are being stripped down. Eisner even wants to outsource the running of the parks and hotels to outside vendors.

Let me help you at then...

For a PUBLICLY TRADED COMPANY if the stock is UP then the company is doing well. It means both the company is financially well off and that the investors expect that trend to continue. That's it; that is the concept of a company doing well (its assets are being managed well.. if that entails killing Feature Animation and outsourcing the parks, so be it. You're running a company, not trying to keep joe schmo happy on the streets... the only people you care about are investors and lending institutions/credit ratings)

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Feature Animation is almost dead, the theme parks are being stripped down. Eisner even wants to outsource the running of the parks and hotels to outside vendors.

Actually, they just added a multimillion $$ ride. You sure they are stripping down the park? lol

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Originally posted by leet1
Actually, they just added a multimillion $$ ride. You sure they are stripping down the park? lol

Yeah, my sig. But what about the cheaply added Dino Rama or all of California Adventure or WD Studios Paris?

While the stock may be up now, people will stop comming due to lack of quality.

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Originally posted by strider42
Jobs isn't responsible for just about anything creative in his life. Woz did all the work for him initially, then new people came in for the macintosh, yet more people are repsonsible for what apple puts out now. Jobs has input, but none of it is really his design or vision.

I used to think that until I heard Woz speak. In the days that Apple's were being produced in a garage, Jobs was thinking things that came to be ten or more years later.

He's got some extraordinary talents -- I'm glad we've got him on our team!

A

AhmedFaisal

Let me help you at then...

For a PUBLICLY TRADED COMPANY if the stock is UP then the company is doing well. It means both the company is financially well off and that the investors expect that trend to continue. That's it; that is the concept of a company doing well (its assets are being managed well.. if that entails killing Feature Animation and outsourcing the parks, so be it. You're running a company, not trying to keep joe schmo happy on the streets... the only people you care about are investors and lending institutions/credit ratings)

Oh geez. The only thing it tells if anything that Eisner has a smart accountant on his team that is able to fix the book the public is going to see in a way that they look good. If you keep outsourcing stuff and selling stuff of course you can arrange the books in a way that they look good. Question is if that will be sufficient to keep the company afloat in the long term. I'd rather see the internal books before I call that company financially healthy. Second, I'd have though that after the DotCom Blowup everybody learned the lesson that the stock market tells you JACK about the actual situation of the company. It just means that the amount of lemmings and idiots that cry BUY BUY is larger than the amount of lemmings and idiots that cry SELL SELL.
Cheers,

Ahmed

A

AhmedFaisal

Originally posted by AhmedFaisal
Oh geez. The only thing it tells if anything that Eisner has a smart accountant on his team that is able to fix the book the public is going to see in a way that they look good. If you keep outsourcing stuff and selling stuff of course you can arrange the books in a way that they look good. Question is if that will be sufficient to keep the company afloat in the long term. I'd rather see the internal books before I call that company financially healthy. Second, I'd have though that after the DotCom Blowup everybody learned the lesson that the stock market tells you JACK about the actual situation of the company. It just means that the amount of lemmings and idiots that cry BUY BUY is larger than the amount of lemmings and idiots that cry SELL SELL.

And you don't even have to take the DotComs. Enron anyone? Worldcom? Xerox? The list is ENDLESS. Or how about Chrysler. It was such a HOT buy when Mercedes decided to buy the company. Turned out when they had it it was a hollow shell, all the good people were long gone before the merger even took place and the finances and costs were a complete mess. So much about the stock price telling you ANYTHING about the value and the situation of a company.
Cheers,

Ahmed

mgescuro

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2002
Silicon Valley
Jobs & Disney

let's look at it this way.

Let Roy Disney join Pixar as Pres. of Feature Animation.
You wanna prove that there is a real "brain-drain" going on at Walt Disney Co? THAT'S what should happen.

Eisner doesn't like Jobs because Jobs has proven to be a tougher negotiator than Eisner ever expected. THAT... and Pixar has more than proven their worth to Disney and can write their own ticket now... with or without Disney.

humantech

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2002
Inland northwest
Creativity isnt such a small term

Hey all-
Just wanted to mention that the definition of creativity doesnt have to have ANYTHING to do film, pictures, music or anything like that- Its having a vision, taking the proper steps to realize it, and keeping the compromise at a minimum- I think that qualifies Mr. Jobs. Steve is a crative thinker and has the guts to accomplish it. Much like the great creative strengths in all the media industries...somehow, the bastid's even figured out how to get rich from it while still alive too......:)
My 2 cents

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Eisner's doing fine and he has the support of the shareholders. On top of that, he just got rid of his two enemies in the boardroom (so he's king of the world at the moment) Disney's in a forward position right now.
Did you read Roy Disney's letter of resignation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.