Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
I bought an M2 air yesterday from John Lewis. They said the warranty will be with Apple the first year and JL the second. If I purchase Applecare, will both years be with Apple if something goes wrong with it, not accidental damage. Also if I purchase just the one year applecare for now, will I get the chance to renew it when it is coming to an end?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
There is warranty and there is Apple Care - they are technically not the same. Warranty is something covered by »local« law, read depends on country (that is, what exactly during what period is covered by the manufacture), but it’s "included" with purchase for a period afterwards. John Lewis extends this warranty (probably? you have to look at their terms).

Apple Care is something you buy additionally. If you draw a venn diagram of Apple Care and legal warranty/john lewis ext. warranty there will be some congruency, how much depends on law and john lewis. Apple actually has setup a page for Apple Products and consumer laws in the UK.

Reactions: purpleparrotuk

tim0409

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
I always buy via Apple rather than John Lewis if the price is the same, as Apple are fully aware of their responsibilities under UK consumer law, especially with reference to the second year, and potentially beyond. I would much rather take an Apple product back to Apple in the second year rather than John Lewis, as their turn around time is much quicker and JL customer service isn’t as good as it once once. I sat next to somebody at the genius bar who had an issue in the second year, and the Apple employee quite correctly told them they needed to contact the retailer they purchased with if they were relying on consumer law (if you purchase from a third party, your contract is with them not Apple, so consumer law requirers you to take the matter up with the retailer, not the manufacturer).

I do know enough about Apple Care to really comment having never purchased it, but what does it cover (notwithstanding accidental damage) that wouldn’t be covered under UK consumer law? It is entirely reasonable to expect a laptop to function flawlessly in year 2 (and beyond), so I can’t see a case where it wouldn’t be covered under consumer law. I have an (unused) law degree, hence why I would never contemplate purchasing a third party warranty because UK consumer law is very much (unsurprisingly) on the side of the consumer.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I always buy via Apple rather than John Lewis if the price is the same, as Apple are fully aware of their responsibilities under UK consumer law, especially with reference to the second year, and potentially beyond. I would much rather take an Apple product back to Apple in the second year rather than John Lewis, as their turn around time is much quicker and JL customer service isn’t as good as it once once. I sat next to somebody at the genius bar who had an issue in the second year, and the Apple employee quite correctly told them they needed to contact the retailer they purchased with if they were relying on consumer law (if you purchase from a third party, your contract is with them not Apple, so consumer law requirers you to take the matter up with the retailer, not the manufacturer).

I do know enough about Apple Care to really comment having never purchased it, but what does it cover (notwithstanding accidental damage) that wouldn’t be covered under UK consumer law? It is entirely reasonable to expect a laptop to function flawlessly in year 2 (and beyond), so I can’t see a case where it wouldn’t be covered under consumer law. I have an (unused) law degree, hence why I would never contemplate purchasing a third party warranty because UK consumer law is very much (unsurprisingly) on the side of the consumer.

Indeed, I’ve grown up hearing that extended warranties are just a con by retailers and to refuse them when pushed onto us. Anything that fails on the product in an unreasonable amount of time is usually covered by our statutory rights as consumers. White goods are usually 5 years, along with TV’s etc. AppleCare seems to be loved on this forum as people seem to like paying an awful lot more money than they have to, for a bit of piece of mind. Get a good case is my advice lol.

Reactions: purpleparrotuk

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Thanks for the replies. So if I get 2 years applecare then I would still have to take it to John Lewis in the second year if I don’t want to have to spout consumer rights? Don’t think I will bother with it then.

TheHareBear

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Thanks for the replies. So if I get 2 years applecare then I would still have to take it to John Lewis in the second year if I don’t want to have to spout consumer rights? Don’t think I will bother with it then.
No - If you have AppleCare you have the option of dealing directly with Apple at all times either in an Apple Store or via the Support app/website or phone. If you are relying on the JL extended warranty then the second year you are relying on JL rather than the first year's manufacturers warranty (in this case Apple). You could buy AppleCare and then choose your route to get something fixed: if you are then invoking your consumer rights (as opposed to claiming through AppleCare) then you are going back to the point of purchase (in this case JL); conversely you could choose AppleCare as the route to get it fixed.

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
No - If you have AppleCare you have the option of dealing directly with Apple at all times either in an Apple Store or via the Support app/website or phone. If you are relying on the JL extended warranty then the second year you are relying on JL rather than the first year's manufacturers warranty (in this case Apple). You could buy AppleCare and then choose your route to get something fixed: if you are then invoking your consumer rights (as opposed to claiming through AppleCare) then you are going back to the point of purchase (in this case JL); conversely you could choose AppleCare as the route to get it fixed.
Thanks. Think I will get AppleCare then. Hopefully after the first year I can extend it. Don’t want to buy 3 years now which is the only other option.

jammyr

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
Only my opinion, but never buy Apple products from John Lewis. If there's a problem they don't want to know. The price might be a little cheaper from John Lewis but the peace of mind knowing that if something goes wrong you can take it back to the Apple Store is far more valuable to me.

Reactions: MarmaladeHendrix

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Only my opinion, but never buy Apple products from John Lewis. If there's a problem they don't want to know. The price might be a little cheaper from John Lewis but the peace of mind knowing that if something goes wrong you can take it back to the Apple Store is far more valuable to me.

John Lewis are very good at replacing Apple products up to 2 years, I know this from experience. As soon as it passes 24 months they won’t do anything. I’ve found Apple and John Lewis tend to be the same price, although JL do have better offers, like the Apple Watch Ultra now is £669.

jammyr

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
My experience with John Lewis has been terrible, they are just not interested in any problems so to me any warranty they offer is worthless. I would always buy direct from Apple.

Reactions: MarmaladeHendrix

MarmaladeHendrix

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2024
Signed up just to vent with my experience. I’ve bought a few devices over the years from John Lewis. My M1 Pro I bought April 22 is the first that’s really gone badly wrong. But it wouldn’t power on in December, no charge. Took it to apple first - they said logic board after doing some checks. Past 1 year mark means £900 for them to do it(!) but it’s still in 2 year warranty with John Lewis so they gave me a diagnostic in case there was issues (basically nice print out to say hardware fault, not customer misuse).

It looks like they have Jigsaw24 do the repairs from the DPD details. They replaced logic board and sent it back to me - still dead right out the box. Went back a 2nd time and they swapped top case that time and came back to me and still dead, no charge from any charger no power etc. John Lewis said send it in once more. We won’t repair 3rd time as it’s a waste of time - we’ll replace or refund.

Except I’ve phoned them tonight - they’re trying another repair. Apparently notes gone missing where they said would just sort a replacement. Spent an hour on the phone with them and they still won’t do anything else because apparently more economical for them to try again. Doesn’t matter me saying how p’d off I am and how convinced they’ve got Coco the Clown repairing if they need 3 goes at it. Unbelievable.

Next device will be through apple directly. Because apparently they actually do know what consumer rights is. Not worth the few quid I saved for the nearly 2 months now I’ve had no MacBook and all the grief and time wasted with them.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Indeed, I’ve grown up hearing that extended warranties are just a con by retailers and to refuse them when pushed onto us. Anything that fails on the product in an unreasonable amount of time is usually covered by our statutory rights as consumers. White goods are usually 5 years, along with TV’s etc. AppleCare seems to be loved on this forum as people seem to like paying an awful lot more money than they have to, for a bit of piece of mind. Get a good case is my advice lol.
Here in the US, unfortunately we don't have as much state-mandated support as you do in the UK, so we have to rely on things like extended warranties. AppleCare is indeed quite good, but when I look honestly back at the last 5 years I haven't had an issue with any of my Macs that's required using that AppleCare I paid for. For Macs, I'm probably better off just socking away the money.

Not everything is as reliable as Macs, though. I bought a Logitech mouse (which I love) but also knew that other Logitech mice I've owned have had the clicker buttons crap out after a couple years. So, I bought a little add-on warranty for like $15 or something. Sure enough, the mouse button crapped out after 2 years! I got a replacement sent to me for free and patted myself on the back. I guess in the UK that would have just been taken care of, but here we just aren't protected as well.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Here in the US, unfortunately we don't have as much state-mandated support as you do in the UK, so we have to rely on things like extended warranties. AppleCare is indeed quite good, but when I look honestly back at the last 5 years I haven't had an issue with any of my Macs that's required using that AppleCare I paid for. For Macs, I'm probably better off just socking away the money.

Not everything is as reliable as Macs, though. I bought a Logitech mouse (which I love) but also knew that other Logitech mice I've owned have had the clicker buttons crap out after a couple years. So, I bought a little add-on warranty for like $15 or something. Sure enough, the mouse button crapped out after 2 years! I got a replacement sent to me for free and patted myself on the back. I guess in the UK that would have just been taken care of, but here we just aren't protected as well.

We do have better cover it seems. I bought a Samsung TV back in 2009 and four and a half years later, the screen failed one day when I turned it on. I contacted Curry’s where I bought it quoting my original receipt and explained I’d paid the best part of a grand and expected it to last at least 5 years. With very little hassle I got it replaced with a similar model. I hadn’t bought an extended warranty. My wife also had an iPhone replaced which was nearly 3 years old when that had issues. I think it’s only right these companies are held accountable for their products and we shouldn’t be forced to buy insurance just to make sure they last a reasonable amount of time. That should be world wide.

Reactions: ignatius345

MarmaladeHendrix

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2024
We do have better cover it seems. I bought a Samsung TV back in 2009 and four and a half years later, the screen failed one day when I turned it on. I contacted Curry’s where I bought it quoting my original receipt and explained I’d paid the best part of a grand and expected it to last at least 5 years. With very little hassle I got it replaced with a similar model. I hadn’t bought an extended warranty. My wife also had an iPhone replaced which was nearly 3 years old when that had issues. I think it’s only right these companies are held accountable for their products and we shouldn’t be forced to buy insurance just to make sure they last a reasonable amount of time. That should be world wide.
How it should be to be honest. I’m going to try calling John Lewis again and quoting some bits of Consumer Rights directly. Last night pissed me off to extent all I want is money back to go elsewhere and nothing to do with them again.

I was willing to be reasonable, but when the device comes back in the exact same state after a ‘repair’ it’s just a waste of time. 7 weeks now I’ve had no Mac.

MarmaladeHendrix

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2024
Bit of an update - I actually ended up getting some traction after an email to the CEO. Picked up by part of a higher level team as a result and long story short I’ve just received an M3 Pro to replace my M1 Pro, so lot happier.

They did get there in the end, so do have to say that as in credit. The mess before (failed repairs without adequate testing before shipping back) was regrettable though and their desk did not handle well once it had got to that point.

Think for anyone with a device with them I’d have to say be healthily sceptical if something goes wrong part way through the process. The first repair attempt was relatively fast if I’m being fair to them so you may be fortunate. Although fast turnaround is pointless without actually verifying correctly.

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
John Lewis are very good at replacing Apple products up to 2 years, I know this from experience. As soon as it passes 24 months they won’t do anything. I’ve found Apple and John Lewis tend to be the same price, although JL do have better offers, like the Apple Watch Ultra now is £669.
I always buy apple stuff (and other tech) from John Lewis due to their extra year of warranty. They've always been great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.