Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Changing your name from Jonathan to Jony a little pretentious, but nothing unusual in 'designer world'. He produced some great case designs for Apple, no doubt about it, and the original iMac so all credit to him. But the real heroes are the engineers that allowed the shrinkage of logic boards, software engineers, programmers/copders etc., the things that actually do the work. You don't design a thin case on an iMac unless you have the works that will fit in it. For me its always been the workings of the Mac that are important, hence I'm never impressed with the latest new emoji or glitz, I just wants systems I can lease, are good for my business, with good configuration and software to match. Yes the aesthetics are important, but none of that matters if the final device doesn't do a great job, and for all the complaints Apple devices still do a relatively good job.

No. Wrong. Going by your normal nickname is not pretentious.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Ive needed Steve as an editor and Steve needed Ive for inspiration. Jobs always had an affinity for designers and had developed relationships with several very high profile individuals in the field.

It’s always been interesting that the first product design Jony Ive did for Apple was the 2nd generation Newton Message Pads (110, 120 and 130), and the Newton was also the first thing Steve killed when he returned as CEO. The connection between the design of the message pad and the lineage of the PowerBook G3 series is very apparent. Those early conversations between Jobs and I’ve must have been very interesting.

The G3 Pismo is still my favorite computer design Apple ever released, but I think my all around favorite design is the 2nd gen Newton. The curves are not just for style, they are super functional. Gripping that thing in one hand with all its thickness and heft is arguably more comfortable than doing the same with a modern iPhone Pro Max because of how balanced and thought out the design is.

All of that really started to fade somewhere around the iPhone 5 release and Steve’s step back and death. We lost little practical/useful things at first like external battery gauges and curves that made handling devices comfortable and natural. Then we started to loose “correct” ways to hold and use things, progressing on to needing dongles because “ports are ugly”, and dumb keyboard designs called revolutionary only because they make laptops 0.5mm thinner. I’m convinced somewhere in the man’s office there is a 0.5mm thick piece of glass with squircle corners sitting atop a pedestal with a PostIT note stuck to the base with the word “Eureka!” Written on it.

Motorola68000

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2022
Jony is a masculine given name or nickname (often of Jonathan) [note: the majority of people who go by the first name Jony listed on that page are using it as a nickname for Jonathan]

I just don't see how using a shortened name is pretentious. Using a long full name is, however, arguably pretentious. It is like going by William instead of Will, or Joshua instead of Josh. Shortened names are less formal and more casual, so are therefore less pretentious.
Excuse me but I've never used Wikipedia as an arbiter of anything. I think too many are making too much and too defensive about using the name Jony, when I qualified it anyway: "but nothing unusual in 'designer world'"

Motorola68000

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2022
No. Wrong. Going by your normal nickname is not pretentious.
Normal nickname. Do you mean avatar? I don't believe Jony is Mr Ives avatar is it?

Too many are making too much and too defensive about using the name Jony, when I qualified it anyway: "but nothing unusual in 'designer world'". Its not an attack on Mr Ives who was good at his job....design, but where for me the backroom engineers of all descriptions are what makes Apple stand apart.

Last edited:

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I don’t think they will be able to improve on the AI Pin design-wise, so I rather doubt the value of Jony Ive’s input here. For me, the biggest challenges to this type of device are in the software design… the software determines the quality of the AI assistant, and the best design of an AI operating system are still unclear, it is not a well-explored space.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Normal nickname. Do you mean avatar? I don't believe Jony is Mr Ives avatar is it?

Too many are making too much and too defensive about using the name Jony, when I qualified it anyway: "but nothing unusual in 'designer world'". Its not an attack on Mr Ives who was good at his job....design, but where for me the backroom engineers of all descriptions are what makes Apple stand apart.

Actually all he did was steal Dieter Rams' design principles and forget about the "make the product useful" bit.

I really wish they'd hire a designer who could produce a mouse that wasn't a piece of garbage.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
Nothing. I wasn’t replying to that.

Yeah no kidding.

I wonder if you realize how childish it is to shoehorn a discussion into whatever is your own pet peeve and totally ignore the content and context of the comment you are replying to

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
So many companies coming up with ‘AI” powered gimmicks and then looking for a problem for them to solve. I mean really - what is the point of these things?
If you had one of these things then it would be able to answer your question.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Obviously I disagree. Ive is a well known public figure. Posting that kind of picture of him is clearly intentional.
Sure, because MR has a corporate policy designed to make him look bad or something. Or they should only use youthful, slimming, flatteringly-lighted photos. He's 57, not 27. It's OK to look your age.

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Sure, because MR has a corporate policy designed to make him look bad or something. Or they should only use youthful, slimming, flatteringly-lighted photos. He's 57, not 27. It's OK to look your age.

There’s no need for you to defend MacRumors, especially by authoring a weird straw man that really has nothing to do with what I actually said. I stand by my comment regarding the photo. It isn’t about his age. If you do an image search on him you get examples like these:

IMG_1655.jpeg

IMG_1654.jpeg

IMG_1653.jpeg

IMG_1652.jpeg

Using this one:

IMG_1656.jpeg

Is an editorial choice, whether you choose to admit that fact or not.

match14

macrumors regular
May 1, 2014
I just remember Jonny Ive wanting Apple Watch prices to start at $1000 to market it along side luxury watches.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
There’s no need for you to defend MacRumors, especially by authoring a weird straw man that really has nothing to do with what I actually said. I stand by my comment regarding the photo. It isn’t about his age. If you do an image search on him you get examples like these:

View attachment 2366497

View attachment 2366498

View attachment 2366496

View attachment 2366499

Using this one:

View attachment 2366501

Is an editorial choice, whether you choose to admit that fact or not.
..."editorial choice". Yeah, you have to pick something, but how is this editorial malfeasance of some sort, since I don't think they've ever used this shot before?

I fail to see what it is that you object to, specifically. Maybe it's his sweater or whatever that is. Or "Guy Using an iPad" thing, or looking intently at his iPad instead of smiling? The glasses? A Sir not looking "Sir-ly"? T-shirt with stretched neck? Maybe they could have used your floating head shot, that's not too creepy.

You're trying to make something out of nothing. Whatever, man.

• Disagree
Reactions: Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
..."editorial choice". Yeah, you have to pick something, but how is this editorial malfeasance of some sort, since I don't think they've ever used this shot before?

I fail to see what it is that you object to, specifically. Maybe it's his sweater or whatever that is. Or "Guy Using an iPad" thing, or looking intently at his iPad instead of smiling? The glasses? A Sir not looking "Sir-ly"? T-shirt with stretched neck? Maybe they could have used your floating head shot, that's not too creepy.

You're trying to make something out of nothing. Whatever, man.

Opposite. My comment was self explanatory. It’s your response to it that’s inappropriate.

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I just remember Jonny Ive wanting Apple Watch prices to start at $1000 to market it along side luxury watches.

Luxury watches start around $5,000.00. Under that they’re considered “affordable.” You can spend north of $30-40k on a fine wrist watch without even touching on the genuine upper echelon of luxury wrist watches.

So Jony was right in his target. It was the product that was wrong. People who buy $1,000.00+ watches typically want mechanical, not quartz. And the Apple Watch, for all of its functions is still a quartz watch to a watch collector. Ive did not make the device attractive to buyers in that segment.

Reactions: match14

TruthAboveAllElse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2023
Excuse me but I've never used Wikipedia as an arbiter of anything. I think too many are making too much and too defensive about using the name Jony, when I qualified it anyway: "but nothing unusual in 'designer world'"
It’s not unusual many places to go by a shortened name when you have a longer name like Jonathan, William, Leonardo etc.

I don’t think you’re picking on Jony per se. I just think, on this particular point, you are wrong.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Jony Ive's departure from Apple is yet another indicator of how Tim Cook is not a product person. Steve Jobs brought out the best in Ive while stopping his worst tendencies. Cook let Ive's worst tendencies run wild. Without someone to control Ive, he lost his sense of purpose at Apple and left.

If the only thing you care about is stock prices, then you should hope that Apple keeps Cook. But if you care about products, then you should hope that Apple fires Clueless Cook.

match14

macrumors regular
May 1, 2014
Luxury watches start around $5,000.00. Under that they’re considered “affordable.” You can spend north of $30-40k on a fine wrist watch without even touching on the genuine upper echelon of luxury wrist watches.

So Jony was right in his target. It was the product that was wrong. People who buy $1,000.00+ watches typically want mechanical, not quartz. And the Apple Watch, for all of its functions is still a quartz watch to a watch collector. Ive did not make the device attractive to buyers in that segment.
Fair enough

Reactions: Surf Monkey

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
The problem is that AI requires a lot of computing power, so that presumably means a link between the local device and some sort of centralised facility, complete with all of the risks to privacy. Also, if this is true, I don't see how this would be any different from a mobile phone using an app to communicate with a centralised AI facility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.