Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
I noticed that the new Journal app was announced during the iOS section of the keynote, using only iOS screenshots, and everything I’ve seen so far says that it’s “coming to iPhone” this year without mentioning other devices. Has anyone seen anything indicating it’s be available on the iPad as well? So far I’ve seen nothing.

It would be a shame if they limited it just to iOS, as this looks really nice and like something I’d use, but I know I wouldn’t get much use out of it if it’s not on the device I have in front of me at work all day and when I’m relaxing at night - my iPad. Plus that device has a keyboard attached to it all the time. It’s so frustrating when they withhold their nice new apps from the iPad - it feels like they do this every year now.

Reactions: slplss

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I hate that they do this - hold stuff back a year for iPad. It’s like the classical music app which is still iOS only (it runs on iPad but only as an iOS-sized app) - I think it’s such an awful look for apple to not be properly supporting their own devices and just gives third party developers every excuse to ignore the platform too.

Journaling makes much more sense on the iPad, with its bigger keyboard (and/or Smart Keyboard) and screen real estate - if anything it should be getting this app first. I also use Day One at the moment, but I’d never think of picking up my iPhone over the iPad for that.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
I hate that they do this - hold stuff back a year for iPad. It’s like the classical music app which is still iOS only (it runs on iPad but only as an iOS-sized app) - I think it’s such an awful look for apple to not be properly supporting their own devices and just gives third party developers every excuse to ignore the platform too.

Journaling makes much more sense on the iPad, with its bigger keyboard (and/or Smart Keyboard) and screen real estate - if anything it should be getting this app first. I also use Day One at the moment, but I’d never think of picking up my iPhone over the iPad for that.

It’s so frustrating and just makes no sense, beyond giving them something to unveil for the iPad next year.

I mean, they made such a big deal about Catalyst and cross-platform compatibility a few years ago, and here they are still releasing apps for only one of their platforms when it’s never been easier to not do that. Honestly, what the hell.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Journaling should be in iPadOS 17 and makes more sense, especially with Apple Pencil. Apple could have easily added the feature, but it looks like it’s saving it for iPadOS 18. It makes no sense.
That’s the thing, it’s just wasted on the iPhone, I’m simply not going to use it there and will carry on with day one on the iPad. Frustrating and a wasted effort on Apples part imo, until they get around to porting it over.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Journaling on an iPad makes much more sense than on an iPhone. You have a larger display (like most paper-based journals compared to iPhone displays). Most of all though, Apple Pencil was designed for writing and drawing. An iPad with Apple Pencil is a much more natural fit for journaling than an iPhone.

I was shocked that the journal app wasn't available on iPadOS 17 and is exclusive to iPhone. What was Apple thinking?? SMH.

abhixec

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2022

I think from their perspective they probably want to see if the app can garner the level of traction they want to invest engineering into making it available on all platforms which can be seen as both smart and dumb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.