Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

picklescott

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
I remember that Panther uses a Journaling File System. Does that mean for optimal performance you should do a clean install so it can reformat the hard drive using the Journaling File System?

picklescott

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
slower?

actually... i didn't

but... what are the benefits to it? something with kernel panics and forced reboots... right?

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
journaling

If you want journaling you do not need to reformat, or install from scratch, it is something you can enable at any time, on an Mac OS Extended Volume you can simple "enable journaling" in the disk util.

I have not figured out how to turn it off though, so make sure you want it.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Re: journaling

Originally posted by nacl99
I have not figured out how to turn it off though, so make sure you want it.

You can turn it off in Disk Utility too. It's under the File menu, just not on the toolbar. Although, you shouldn't turn it off. Journaling is a very good thing. ;)

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Re: Re: journaling

Originally posted by bankshot
You can turn it off in Disk Utility too. It's under the File menu, just not on the toolbar. Although, you shouldn't turn it off. Journaling is a very good thing. ;)

Good for stability. I've got a PowerBook with a 4200 RPM drive. I'm debating whether or not to turn it off. On one hand, Apple makes it sound like it only matters if you value stability over speed and/or if you run a server. Neither of those applies to me. On the other hand, Apple wouldn't have it on by default without a reason.

Advice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.