Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Faroes
Hi there.
I just got my new mac with OS Mojave and when I click on jpeg images, they are not opening at all. Preview will not open them. Is there a recommended fix to this?

Thanks for any help.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Easiest method to view most types of images on a Mac:
click once on the file, so it is selected.
Press the space bar, which displays the image.
The image is not using any app, just the system. That's called QuickView.
Press space a second time to close the image.

What happens if you drag and drop that file on the Preview app icon?

Gutti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Faroes
Hi DeltaMac. Didn't know the QuickView shortcut, thanks.
But pressing the space a second time does nothing.

Also if I drag an image to the preview icon nothing happens.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Right click on your image file, choose your app from the "Open with" menu.
That will launch the app that you choose and, if you choose Preview, Preview should launch. It shouldn't do "nothing", but might not open a window with the image. But, Preview SHOULD launch (you will see that the Preview icon has the little indicator that shows that app is open, and you SHOULD see the Preview menus are at the top of the screen (meaning that the app is active)

You won't get much to happen if you only drag the image file to the app icon. You also have to release it (drag and drop, correct?)

If you use the QuickView, pressing space should show the file, then pressing a second time simply closes the image.
Nothing else should happen.
It's really only for viewing files. You can't edit an image, or do much of anything else.

Gutti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Faroes
Hi again. There came an update for OS Mojave a few days ago, I updated my computer and after that Preview works normally again.

- I do not remember if Preview launched even if the image did not open - but I think the program launched.
- I see, pressing space two times on QuickView should just close the image.

But thanks for all the instructions and help, DeltaMac! Great to get help in questions like this on an online forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.