Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Unfortunately (as I've found playing with the new Lightroom) I can't seem to get Safari, Messages, or any other app to fully display HDR photos nearly as well as Photos does. Saving a photo (either mine or from that website) to Photos and opening it there has significantly more dynamic range than viewing it in Safari.

vvgogh

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2021
There's a long decoding lag on my 60 MP photos exported from lightroom 13. If I air drop multiple jxl files, they end up in files instead of photos. If you air drop one jxl, it goes to photos. When you look at the info, where the file type label should be is blank. It'll quickly show a low resolution version of the image, but decoding the full 60 MP resolution takes about 10 seconds on iPhone XS (17.0.2) and 6 seconds on iPad Pro M1 (17.0.3). I tried a 160 MP pano on the M1 iPad, and it crashes photos :( If you try to add one 60 MP jxl to a shuffling wallpaper, the phone hangs for several minutes. It's nice to be able to zoom in to part of the image for framing (and exploring detail on the best screen I have available), but I guess you'll need to pre-edit and crop the images to reduce their file size.

It looks like Jpeg XL is highly flexible to optimize for decoding time, but Lightroom doesn't provide that control in the export dialog.

Maybe it's a better experience with the newer devices with faster processors!

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
I made the experience with LRC 13 that my exported JPGXL files do not show HDR information in any app an any device. And yes I ticked the checkbox to include HDR. If I export the same file on my iPhone or iPad the JPGXL has the HDR information in them. Any ideas on how to fix this?

What also really bugs me is the fact that you need to grade the SDR image again after enabling HDR. Most of the time I cannot get to a satisfying result with the limited sliders available and wish LRC would just use the settings for the SDR Version, before clicking on HDR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.