Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
The point being - some other App Store charges 10%. Apple will not include free Maps, storage, beta support, or whatever to your app. That is what I meant by determining if the fee is worth it. It's bundled today because there has been no need to separate it. IF third-party stares are ultimately required, you can bet that there will be a schedule of mandatory and optional Apple-fees to be paid on top of whatever fees are paid to the other store.
That’s an interesting point I hadn’t thought of. I suspect there are a number of functions and features that are monetised through the App Store commission that will need to be separately charged for for apps that pay a commission to a different App Store. I suspect the charging structure is going to get a lot more complex (and expensive) to administer.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
That’s an interesting point I hadn’t thought of. I suspect there are a number of functions and features that are monetised through the App Store commission that will need to be separately charged for for apps that pay a commission to a different App Store. I suspect the charging structure is going to get a lot more complex (and expensive) to administer.

Theoretically this is correct, although the EU regulation is quite broad in the features that need to be optional and it also compels the gatekeeper to offer access to some features free of charge. That's why Apple is unlikely to be able to recoup much from a dev which decides to go third-party.

An example of that split though is the recent discussion about the Dutch dating apps, where Apple separated the payment processing fee from the "full package" fee and valued it 3%. The ruling allows devs of dating apps to use a third-party payment processing service and this means they don't have to pay Apple that 3% if they do, but the rest of the fee still stands as it covers benefits the devs still get from Apple.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Theoretically this is correct, although the EU regulation is quite broad in the features that need to be optional and it also compels the gatekeeper to offer access to some features free of charge.

An example is the recent discussion about the Dutch dating apps, where Apple separated the payment processing fee from the "full package" fee and valued it 3%. The ruling allows devs of dating apps to use a third-party payment processing service and this means they don't have to pay Apple that 3% if they do, but the rest of the fee still stands as it covers benefits the devs still get from Apple.
It’ll be interesting to see with third party app stores what sort of commission developers will have to pay to the App Store and what sort of commission they'll need to pay Apple.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
What do you mean "if"? The legislation is already ratified and will pretty clearly prohibit what you suggest.
I mean “if” by when and if it is actually enforced. Do you seriously not expect legal challenges once companies have standing? Do you not believe every company impacted will not implement the barest capability that meets the letter? This will be in courts for years.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
I mean “if” by when and if it is actually enforced. Do you seriously not expect legal challenges once companies have standing? Do you not believe every company impacted will not implement the barest capability that meets the letter? This will be in courts for years.

Apple and other companies reported themselves as "gatekeepers" to the authorities at the beginning of this month as the regulation required them to do.

By September their submission will be verified and once confirmed they will have 6 months to comply with the regulations, so we will see what happens pretty soon.

makitango

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I don‘t understand why some here think that paying Apple for developing an app for their platform means that they have to pay Apple. If I want to develop for Windows, Android or iOS, I accrue the skills and program the stuff.
Yes, if I use their outlets then there‘s a fee, but outside of it? Hell no.

Thankfully here in the EU there are rules and the „their store, their rules“ troll argument won‘t stick because if you go by that principle, you can just say that when a customer doesn‘t pay and steals instead, you can shoot them.
Sure you can, but not in a country with civilized laws. Same goes for any other laws.
Thank god we have them or else I would need a gun like in the US.

Reactions: BiscottiGelato

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
I have no idea what you're saying

Apple charges whatever they want, make whatever they want, and it's up to the customers to vote with their wallets.
False. Package deals are considered anti-competitive when in a monopoly position. There can be many ways to argue for that Apple has a monopolistic lock-in. On all iPhones that customers already fully paid for, for example.

Reactions: makitango

tripsync

Suspended
Apr 24, 2023
False. Package deals are considered anti-competitive when in a monopoly position. There can be many ways to argue for that Apple has a monopolistic lock-in. On all iPhones that customers already fully paid for, for example.

Nope. Courts already decided Apple has not been proven to be a monopoly despite Epic's best effort to "argue for that Apple has a monopolistic lock-in".

Saying that "success is not illegal" the judge ruled that Epic could not demonstrate that Apple was engaging in monopolistic behavior.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011

tripsync

Suspended
Apr 24, 2023
In the phone market? In the iOS App market? Monopoly is context dependent.
why would it be the phone market? android is a viable alternative so iOS is not a monopoly.
iOS App market? that's like saying McDonald's is a monopoly in the McDonald's burger market. ridiculous question.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
Apple and other companies reported themselves as "gatekeepers" to the authorities at the beginning of this month as the regulation required them to do.

By September their submission will be verified and once confirmed they will have 6 months to comply with the regulations, so we will see what happens pretty soon.
Yes. And in 6 months and one day Apple will file suit. Or a few weeks after that the EU will. Either way, this will end up in court.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
In the phone market? In the iOS App market? Monopoly is context dependent.

From the ruling:

Ultimately, after evaluating the trial evidence, the Court finds that the relevant market here is digital mobile gaming transactions, not gaming generally and not Apple's own internal operating systems related to the App Store.

The ruling is not too surprising to be honest: US antitrust basically requires a full monopoly whereas e.g. in the EU merely having a "position of strength in the market" would be enough. The judge acknowledges Apple enjoys the latter but not the former and in the US that's not enough.

Last edited:

makitango

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I mean I don't ask Playstation or Xbox to let me buy stuff elsewhere... It'll be interesting to see the supreme court fight, if it gets there
This is about devices to do everything on ranging from emails, surfing, working etc., not about consoles which only serve one purpose which is gaming.
Or else you could just request nonsense for your smart refrigerator.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
This is about devices to do everything on ranging from emails, surfing, working etc., not about consoles which only serve one purpose which is gaming.
Or else you could just request nonsense for your smart refrigerator.
But why is there a need to carve out exceptions? Either the behaviour should be permitted, or not, regardless of what the device is used for.

makitango

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
But why is there a need to carve out exceptions? Either the behaviour should be permitted, or not, regardless of what the device is used for.
It‘s also about capabilities. Try to use your console for browsing. This is hardly doable.
The key point here is that platforms like iOS already are capable of sideloading and allow it, but only when the money flows through Apple, as in Enterprise accounts etc.
Since the capability has been here since the start, the part of allowing or disallowing it is no longer in Apple‘s hands if the user chooses not to follow suit.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
It‘s also about capabilities. Try to use your console for browsing. This is hardly doable.
The key point here is that platforms like iOS already are capable of sideloading and allow it, but only when the money flows through Apple, as in Enterprise accounts etc.
Since the capability has been here since the start, the part of allowing or disallowing it is no longer in Apple‘s hands if the user chooses not to follow suit.
A console might only not be suitable for browsing because the manufacturer chooses to make it that way. But what we are arguing is that for any specific use, the device manufacturer can’t decide to not support something by denying it in software, if the device would otherwise be capable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.