Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
When a case is up to a judge and that judge gives you an actual figure, the path of least resistance is to simply conform. It is about 15% higher than the parties arrived at. Settle. Pay. Now.

Recognize a shakedown when you see it. At least you have a judge and not a regulator!

Rocketman

Why call it a shakedown? The judge doesn't see a percentage.

Renzatic

Suspended
Excuse me, but what world are you in? They (the consortium) will pony up the 380 million and that will be the end of it. Do you have a Degree in Science, Engineering, Math? If not you will stay under the bus. Corporations have controlled this country since Andrew Carnegie. It's not going to change with little protests from 20 somethings pissing, and whining in front of the cameras with their Starbucks. None of these Professional Protesters have the balls to pick up a weapon and attempt to become an anarchist. You screw nuts on bolts you make $9 an hour. Choose a bus.

Cooperate America grows stronger every day, deal with it. Better yourself. Stop the "Blame Game," and take a break from reading Marx. :rolleyes:

That's what I like about you, Glide. You rarely ever have a decent point, but you make up for it with attitude, hyperbole, and, dare I say, panache.

Seriously? Marx? Comeon. Do you want this thread to get sent down to PRSI?

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
What does that have to do with anything? Economic harm shouldn't be determined by how much cash a company has.

Apparently, the affected employees feel differently since many of them balked at the original amount. Obviously the employees felt they deserved more and the ability of the companies to pay more warranted a higher payout. My reference to "chump change" was intended to suggest the companies should stop shortchanging their former employees because they can afford the judges revised amount. Apple waste that much money in luxury storefronts.

----------

Did anyone else notice that the "G" in Google fits almost perfectly in the bite out of the apple in the Apple logo? Interesting...

Would you have noticed if Google was in first position and the Apple in the second position?

Renzatic

Suspended
Apparently, the affected employees feel differently since many of them balked at the original amount. Obviously the employees felt they deserved more and the ability of the companies to pay more warranted a higher payout. My reference to "chump change" was intended to suggest the companies should stop shortchanging their former employees because they can afford the judges revised amount. Apple waste that much money in luxury storefronts.

It all depends on if the judgement is punitive or compensatory. This case is far more about the latter, so it doesn't matter if it's chump change for the company or not, so long as the judge feels the wronged parties have been justly compensated.

...which here, apparently he didn't.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
That's what I like about you, Glide. You rarely ever have a decent point, but you make up for it with attitude, hyperbole, and, dare I say, panache.

Seriously? Marx? Comeon. Do you want this thread to get sent down to PRSI?

Referring to the comment you replied to, you know you shouldn't take a comment seriously when random words in it are capitalized. That's usually a giveaway.

----------

In the end, the fanboys will be the ones who pay after apple doubles their prices to make up for the billions they will lose in fines.

That's not how it works. The prices would probably move very little, if at all. Macs don't become twice as expensive whenever the cost of making a Mac doubles.

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
It all depends on if the judgement is punitive or compensatory. This case is far more about the latter, so it doesn't matter if it's chump change for the company or not, so long as the judge feels the wronged parties have been justly compensated.

...which here, apparently he didn't.

There should be some level of punitive damages as well. Otherwise companies are incentivized to do things like this again. After all, you won't be caught 100% of the time.

I'm a fairly red-blooded capitalist, but colluding to (effectively) keep down the wages of your employees is unacceptable. I'm sure Steve Jobs was more worried about retraining costs than increased compensation, but the decreased compensation is the result that is ultimately felt by employees. Apple should have paid what it took to retain its employees, rather than colluding. It's honestly shameful. Our best engineers should be paid what they're worth. Otherwise why go into engineering in the first place.

Last edited:

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
The judge has to have a say in the matter because this is a class action lawsuit.

Class action lawsuits are different because the plaintiffs (people who got screwed) aren't really involved in the suit themselves. There are a few "named plaintiffs" who might be, but it is likely only five people out of the tens of thousands who were harmed by this practice.

Class actions are often settled so that the attorneys make a TON of money; like tens of millions of dollars in fees. The proposed settlements actually include an agreement of how much money goes to the attorneys who brought the lawsuit against Apple and Google.

It is possible that:

1) The judge didn't feel that the class of harmed individuals (everybody who was underpaid as a result of the anti-poaching agreement) was being served by the terms of the agreement, or
2) That the attorneys' fees were way too high.

There are actual cases where the class gets pennies on the dollar while some of the attorneys walked away with $5k/hr for their work. Judges MUST be active in these types of cases.

Excellent points. I've certainly received several checks for less than $1 from class action lawsuits. Not even enough to be worth cashing. Many or most of those lawyers are only representing themselves, not the entire "class" in question. A Google or Apple engineer is likely to have foregone over $100k from this collusion, over the years. They certainly deserve fair compensation, and the companies in question deserve a healthy penalty.

redking79

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
NYC
Give it up you overpaid Bourgeois Queen. Between you and Denise Cote it's always about keeping your names in circulation with your bias filled decisions.

You are, have been, and will continue to be an embarrassment to the Federal Bench.

$324 million was justified. You, are an overpaid Meter Maid.

Such hatred, did one of the judges wrong you in some way? Glad you're doing something with that rage like posting on an Internet message board. You're definitely going to change how Koh and Cote decide future lawsuits. :rolleyes:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Such hatred, did one of the judges wrong you in some way? Glad you're doing something with that rage like posting on an Internet message board. You're definitely going to change how Koh and Cote decide future lawsuits. :rolleyes:

Do some research before holding hands and singing Kumbaya. There is plenty out there. No rage, just another frustrating example of Federal Judges issuing decisions based on her anti corporate bias. Not law.

$340 million was adequate compensation for their suffering.

"He who has the Gold makes the rules."

Unless your ready to take up arms against the govt. there will always be millions of people being thrown under buses by Cooperate America, so what? Learn a new skill! The money will flow to the Senators, House Members. People will talk about change. However, when they fill in that ballot behind the curtain everything changes.

They want the candidate who is going to bring home the "Bacon". The new playground, the new community pool, grants for the new hospital beds, new roads. How about some shiny new Fire Trucks for the rural Volunteers? That will work. Grant money for the local Community Colleges?

Koh and Cote are both fundamentally unqualified for a Federal Lifetime appointment, IMO. I don't have rage at them personally, only the way they always need to interject their personal feelings. Inappropriate. ;)

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Give it up you overpaid Bourgeois Queen. Between you and Denise Cote it's always about keeping your names in circulation with your bias filled decisions.

You are, have been, and will continue to be an embarrassment to the Federal Bench.

$324 million was justified. You, are an overpaid Meter Maid.

You obviously haven't read the rest of the thread.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
My question is: Did the tech worker's side accept the settlement?

Who gives a rat's derriere what the Judge thinks if the tech worker's side is okay with the settlement.

I rather agree with that. If they felt it was a fair amount then it was a fair amount.

Then again I'm torn on the whole thing. See I don't think that a deal that says that companies won't actively solicit employers currently at company X to come take a job at company y is really that bad. To me that's a lot different than saying an employee at company X applies, on his or her own, for a job at company y and company y refuses to even consider them cause they currently work at company X or they quit without so and so months ago. particularly if the job would have no conflict of interest with what i'm applying for. I mean I get the notion if I just quit working on the iOS development team at Apple Corp and I'm applying to work on the Android development team at Google. by just I mean last month. Google might be worried that hiring me would open them to a lawsuit. But if i worked for the iTunes content contract division and was working in LA not Cupe that shouldn't matter if i want to work on the Android team especially if i'm working in UI not content.

These folks are claiming that they were denied better pay but were they not given raises while they worked there. Did they not accept those raises and keep working there. couldn't they quit and get a different job if they felt they weren't getting paid enough. Did these deals between companies bar them from applying on their own to another company. If it did, okay that's wrong. But from everything I have read that was not the case. It was a deal not to try to lure folks away. Different game. The employees are pissed that they couldn't use "well google called and they want me to come work on Android and they are going to give me $1 mil a year. What are you going to give me to stay and work on iOS" to get raises. But is that really a fair tactic. I'm sorry but maybe the reason you aren't $1 mil from Apple is that you don't do work that earns it. If you are a woman or a racial minority and you do the same or better work than some white guy and you can prove this and somehow you know you are getting half what whitey does, that's a different lawsuit. But that aside if you are only doing $100k work then you should get $100k pay. Saying Google is going to pay you $500k (clearly cause you have knowledge of iOS and can nudge them in the right directions to beat it) is extortion in a way. Why should employers have to bend over and take that.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Good. The penalty needs to be much, much higher. $324M is a pocket change for these companies. It needs to be an amount that causes Apple and Google significant pain. This kind of behavior is scummy and just flat-out wrong and it's an embarrassment for any company who engages in it.

I love Apple and Google's products, but they need to be punished in a big way that gives other companies a clear example of what not to do ever.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Do some research before holding hands and singing Kumbaya. There is plenty out there. No rage, just another frustrating example of Federal Judges issuing decisions based on her anti corporate bias. Not law.

$340 million was adequate compensation for their suffering.

"He who has the Gold makes the rules."

Unless your ready to take up arms against the govt. there will always be millions of people being thrown under buses by Cooperate America, so what? Learn a new skill! The money will flow to the Senators, House Members. People will talk about change. However, when they fill in that ballot behind the curtain everything changes.

They want the candidate who is going to bring home the "Bacon". The new playground, the new community pool, grants for the new hospital beds, new roads. How about some shiny new Fire Trucks for the rural Volunteers? That will work. Grant money for the local Community Colleges?

Koh and Cote are both fundamentally unqualified for a Federal Lifetime appointment, IMO. I don't have rage at them personally, only the way they always need to interject their personal feelings. Inappropriate. ;)

In what world is $2000.00 dollars (payout per class action participant) considered fair reimbursement for employees who lost 10's to hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of income due to illegal wage fixing between multimillionaire dollar corporations?

That's a lot like someone robbing me of one hundred bucks, then handing me back a fiver 5 years later and claiming that we're square.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.