Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I have a Jump Drive that I've been using on the Mac side, now I want to use it on the PC side (Bootcamp). Easy you would think, right? Well it's not, if I partition the Jump Drive with Disk Util on the Mac for Fat. However when I plug it in Windows 7, it tells me that it needs to be formatted. Okay, I go to format it andit only lets me format 200mb, the drive is 32gb.

Why is this happing and how do I fix it so I can format the full space of the Jump Drive.

Hugh

EDIT:

I figured out what I was doing wrong, I wasn't using the right partition table. As soon as I changed it to Master Boot (I think that what it was), I was able to format the Jump Drive at it's full size on the PC side. Thanks for the help. :D

Last edited:

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I don't know why mac isn't letting your format correctly as FAT. Try windows instead of dos in the parenthesis.

Windows won't let you format partitions as fat32 greater than 32 gb. I suspect you drive is slightly more than 32 gb, maybe 32.3 gb, that's why there is a problem. You could format as exFAT or NTFS, although NTFS will only allow windows access whereas exFAT works on windows 7 and mac os snow leopard or newer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.