Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonkeySpank158

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2022
I recently have tried to push to see if I could replace my uses for my MacBook with an iPad. I currently have the last iPad Air before they used the M1 chip in it (4th gen I think it is). I downloaded Jump Desktop to RDP over SSH into my work machine (amazing app, btw) and hooked up my iPad to my 35" wide screen monitor, and told JD to use that wide resolution, even though theoretically I should only be able to mirror my iPad resolution on the external monitor. This worked, it used the whole monitor resolution that I told it to. However, after about a minute the app crashed.

So im curious if anyone has had any issue with this on the M series chip iPads, such as iPad Pro or even the M1 iPad Air. My guess here is I pushed my hardware beyond what it was capable of doing - which I can live with. Should this be the case, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a better iPad to make this a realistic possibility.

Let me know your thoughts.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I recently have tried to push to see if I could replace my uses for my MacBook with an iPad. I currently have the last iPad Air before they used the M1 chip in it (4th gen I think it is). I downloaded Jump Desktop to RDP over SSH into my work machine (amazing app, btw) and hooked up my iPad to my 35" wide screen monitor, and told JD to use that wide resolution, even though theoretically I should only be able to mirror my iPad resolution on the external monitor. This worked, it used the whole monitor resolution that I told it to. However, after about a minute the app crashed.

So im curious if anyone has had any issue with this on the M series chip iPads, such as iPad Pro or even the M1 iPad Air. My guess here is I pushed my hardware beyond what it was capable of doing - which I can live with. Should this be the case, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a better iPad to make this a realistic possibility.

I have a 12.9 M2 and while not hooked to a monitor, Jump has worked great on it.

MonkeySpank158

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2022
I have a 12.9 M2 and while not hooked to a monitor, Jump has worked great on it.
Jump works great when I’m using it in tablet mode, but if I were to use the iPad as a replacement long term (which was what I was trying to accomplish with my testing), I would need the monitor to work as I tried to do it. But my theory is because my model doesn’t actually support full external monitor usage, that I was able to make it work only temporarily before crashing. Kind of surprised it worked at all honestly.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

I have used Jump with an external monitor many times. Works perfectly. Works even with non M series iPad but taking the full monitor, the only difference is that with M series iPad I can do something else on the iPad.

Reactions: MonkeySpank158

MonkeySpank158

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2022
I tried this again without crashing, must've been a fluke. However, using my Logitech MX Master 3 is awful, even with pointer acceleration off, it's so touchy! Anybody else have thoughts on this?

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
I prefer IPA 90.

Sry couldn’t help being a SA

9adef09700a11def4d250be36eab7777.jpg

Reactions: MonkeySpank158

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I tried this again without crashing, must've been a fluke. However, using my Logitech MX Master 3 is awful, even with pointer acceleration off, it's so touchy! Anybody else have thoughts on this?

I have this mouse too and I concur with my Mac/iPad the tracking is very sensitive compared to Windows

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
I’ve actually taken this a step further and use jumpdesktop at work with an external monitor and my iPhone 15 pro. It mostly works great with a strong 5g connection and a keyboard and mouse jacked into the monitor. Every once in a while the connection flakes out and I wonder why I’m torturing myself for the sake of being a techno weirdo, but it’s cool when it works.

Got the same results with my iPad Pro, but the aspect ratio I think worked better. I just like rolling up to work with nothing but my iPhone.

MonkeySpank158

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2022
I’ve actually taken this a step further and use jumpdesktop at work with an external monitor and my iPhone 15 pro. It mostly works great with a strong 5g connection and a keyboard and mouse jacked into the monitor. Every once in a while the connection flakes out and I wonder why I’m torturing myself for the sake of being a techno weirdo, but it’s cool when it works.

Got the same results with my iPad Pro, but the aspect ratio I think worked better. I just like rolling up to work with nothing but my iPhone.

Same reasoning here - just want to push the boundaries a bit.

I have this mouse too and I concur with my Mac/iPad the tracking is very sensitive compared to Windows

On Mac you can download the Logi Options + app, that will help with sensitivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.