Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PEVO

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
Hello, this year I would like to retire my "old" iPhone 12 (6.1") and buy a new iPhone. I use the phone to do many things, including for office work, freelance work, managing my finances, taking pictures, etc. Often, when I take a moment on the couch, toilet, waiting room, I like to read some news, articles, watch videos etc. For this reason, I have been thinking of upgrading to a larger iPhone (a Plus or Max model) that would allow me to see various content better because of the larger screen. At the same time, however, I have two doubts:
  • I would not want to carry around an exaggeratedly large device (I would get the iPhone 16s that are supposed to be even bigger this year). However, I generally don't use my phone so much on the fly during the days, I mainly use it while sitting in the office
  • I wouldn't want to spend too much time on my phone-I'm trying to avoid consuming too much content (social, youtube, reddit, etc.). I am afraid that with a large device, I would be attached all day, because it will tempt me to watch content directly from the device thaat I always have with me at hand
Therefore, I thought of another possible solution: an iPhone Mini (13 mini for example) with the addition of an iPad (iPad Mini or an iPad Air).
This way, when I am out I can have a small and compact iPhone. On the other hand, when I have some time to spend on some content, I would pick up an iPad (avoiding other apps that might distract me from the phone).
What do you think? Any suggestions?

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
It’s a sound solution to go with a small iPhone and an iPad Mini perhaps. But the iPad market is very uncertain - and there are rumours claiming of newer iPad models coming soon too. So if you can, hold off any purchases right now and wait for more news on the direction iPad is going.

Last edited:
Reactions: PEVO

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
You wouldn’t even have to go mini iphone. the standard size pros are super decent one handers. You could get the 6.1” version of whichever year, and the iPad and then you’re covered.

geta

macrumors 65832
May 18, 2010
The Moon
iPhone of your choice plus iPad Mini (or Air) for sofa surfing, media consumption and basic daily usage would be great combo.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The small iPhone + small iPad has been my combo of choice for… well, since the beginning. I did a few months with an iPhone Plus back in the day and hated it more every day, and went back to the two device combo with great relief. Needless to say, I far far far prefer it. It’s for the reasons you mentioned. I have an aversion to bulk/weight in my pockets, I strongly value secure one-handed use, and I don’t want to be on my phone screen when I’m out and about any more than I have to.

At home though I do a lot of consumption. So I‘ll typically charge my phone when I arrive and almost strictly use my iPad Mini in its place, via Continuity. (There are a couple things I still need my iPhone for, like checking voice messages and authenticating online work stuff.) The much bigger screen is great for long periods of casual consumption. It’s the ideal size in that it’s the largest/heaviest device I want to hold and use for long periods. The only thing is it doesn’t really fit in my lounge clothes pockets so I end up having to carry it around the house, so I actually wish the Mini was slightly smaller. Despite that, it’s my most used device next to my work computer.

For my phone, I stuck to the 4” iPhone SE (which I loved) for as long as I could, but I’m now on the 4.7” iPhone SE 3rd gen, which is not nearly as secure for one-handed use, but otherwise it’s satisfactory. I chose it over the 13 Mini mainly due to my strong preference for Touch ID. Otherwise 13 Mini is better. It’s extremely disappointing though that rumors indicate soon 6.1” will be the smallest iPhone (and no more Touch ID on iPhones). I’m basically just hoping this SE3 somehow lasts forever.🤞Or AR glasses come sooner rather than later.🤞

Edit-
Forgot to mention, I use a Pop Socket on my iPad Mini which lets me hold it one handed for a long time. I find it indispensible.

Last edited:
Reactions: geta

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP, while some don't know it's possible, consider using a VOIP + Buds approach with a cellular iPad Mini to kill 2 birds with one stone. I've been doing this since Mini 2 and it works fine, costs much less than any iPhone (both hardware and 5G service) and doesn't come with many tradeoffs.

As you already know, ALL of your non-telephony uses will work better on a bigger (than iPhone) screen. Mini takes 12megapixel photos and shoots 4K video. Selfie stuff including facetime works just as well. iPad battery life is generally LONGER than iPhones.

So let's talk telephony. Key is realizing that just like an iPhone can be a map or a flashlight, telephony is only an app too. There are plenty of VOIP apps available for iDevices and they all turn any iDevice into a telephone & texting device.

My Mini 6 rings when people call and those receiving calls from me can't tell that I'm not using a phone form factor. My Mini exchanges texts with other Apple people in Messages- just like iPhone- and the VOIP app covers texts to/from non-Apple people. Text notifications works largely the same. Phone features like Voice Mail work the same as they do with iPhone.

Cellular is the same 5G but one pays for only 5G data for iPads, which tends to be priced much cheaper than "talk + text + data" plans. For example, my ongoing "plan" is the Tmobile one for $10 for 5 months or 5GB... making my total cell phone bill average about $25 PER YEAR. Yes, that's year. The vast majority of my usage is inside of "Free wifi" zones at work or home, so I never even get close to 5GB over 5 months. But if I did for some reason, I could just buy another 5GB for only $10 more. If you are an unlimited data "hog" and can't adjust to being more like a cellular data miser, this type of plan may not work well for you. So you need to consider if you can consume that (mostly) video when in free wifi areas instead of just streaming like crazy whenever you like (away from wifi).

iPads don't seem to suffer the "long in tooth" effect that drives upgrading phones every couple of years. As I offered, my hop was Mini 2 to Mini 6 after about 8 years. Not too many people squeeze 8 years out of their iPhones. I expect my next "phone" purchase will be Mini 9 or 10 out in about 2028-2030. There's much money savings in not re-buying thousand dollar tech every 2-3 years or so.

IMO, the biggest downside is that Mini is not pocket-able (except in suit jackets or coats). So I just tuck it under an arm if it must be with me or leave it in the car when I don't really need to be immediately connected at all times.

Other disadvantages:
  • It's E911 vs. 911, which is pretty similar but not exactly the same. Many people never use 911 service one time in their entire lives but it motivates them to make this a big deal point. My thinking goes that E911 still mostly scratches the same itch and some 911 incident probably involves others who will also be calling 911.
  • The new emergency SATT connection option is not available.
  • If Watch is essential to you, Watch pretty much relies on iPhone. I favor traditional watches myself, so no loss at all to me IMO.
  • If CarPlay is essential to you, while iPad OS apparently has CarPlay in it, it only currently works on iPhone. My iPad works great with my cars stock infotainment system via Bluetooth, including making/taking phone calls through steering wheel controls and getting turn-by-turn map prompts over the car speakers. But CarPlay is a bit more than that and that may justify the added costs of a phone to some.
  • Some of Applepay works with iPad but "tap to pay" is iPhone only. I still lean on plastic, which is also tap to pay and works everywhere instead of only in some places.
  • No vibration option for calls or text alerts.
  • Texting will display an email address instead of a phone number in Messages (but very few I text with tends to notice or care). To the few who have noticed over the last 10 years, as soon as I say I'm texting from my iPad and it shows email address, it's quickly understood.
  • The more deluxe iPhones have superior cameras at their much higher prices.
There may be a few more but none leap to mind. In exchange, there is significant cost savings (hardware and service) and "one device to rule them all" instead of juggling 2 devices.

Since you are thinking Mini or Air anyway, an easy option for you would be to buy the iPad, install a VOIP app on it and then test the experience for yourself. Most VOIP apps will give you a free phone number, which makes this kind of testing easy. And if you like it and want to go this way, you can always port your current number to take over as the VOIP number on the iPad (which is exactly what I did long ago).

Send yourself a text and reply to yourself. Have a friend call your iPad and you call a friend. There's nothing like first hand experience to see if this works well for you. Then, you can make a decision of adding a new phone too or just rolling with iPad Mini to cover both jobs.

Last edited:

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
OP, while some don't know it's possible, consider using a VOIP + Buds approach with a cellular iPad Mini to kill 2 birds with one stone. I've been doing this since Mini 2 and it works fine, costs much less than any iPhone (both hardware and 5G service) and doesn't come with many tradeoffs.

As you already know, ALL of your non-telephony uses will work better on a bigger (than iPhone) screen. Mini takes 12megapixel photos and shoots 4K video. Selfie stuff including facetime works just as well. iPad battery life is generally LONGER than iPhones.

So let's talk telephony. Key is realizing that just like an iPhone can be a map or a flashlight, telephony is only an app too. There are plenty of VOIP apps available for iDevices and they all turn any iDevice into a telephone & texting device.

My Mini 6 rings when people call and those receiving calls from me can't tell that I'm not using a phone form factor. My Mini exchanges texts with other Apple people in Messages- just like iPhone- and the VOIP app covers texts to/from non-Apple people. Text notifications works largely the same. Phone features like Voice Mail work the same as they do with iPhone.

Cellular is the same 5G but one pays for only 5G data for iPads, which tends to be priced much cheaper than "talk + text + data" plans. For example, my ongoing "plan" is the Tmobile one for $10 for 5 months or 5GB... making my total cell phone bill average about $25 PER YEAR. Yes, that's year. The vast majority of my usage is inside of "Free wifi" zones at work or home, so I never even get close to 5GB over 5 months. But if I did for some reason, I could just buy another 5GB for only $10 more. If you are an unlimited data "hog" and can't adjust to being more like a cellular data miser, this type of plan may not work well for you. So you need to consider if you can consume that (mostly) video when in free wifi areas instead of just streaming like crazy whenever you like (away from wifi).

iPads don't seem to suffer the "long in tooth" effect that drives upgrading phones every couple of years. As I offered, my hop was Mini 2 to Mini 6 after about 8 years. Not too many people squeeze 8 years out of their iPhones. I expect my next "phone" purchase will be Mini 9 or 10 out in about 2028-2030. There's much money savings in not re-buying thousand dollar tech every 2-3 years or so.

IMO, the biggest downside is that Mini is not pocket-able (except in suit jackets or coats). So I just tuck it under an arm if it must be with me or leave it in the car when I don't really need to be immediately connected at all times.

Other disadvantages:
  • It's E911 vs. 911, which is pretty similar but not exactly the same. Many people never use 911 service one time in their entire lives but it motivates them to make this a big deal point. My thinking goes that E911 still mostly scratches the same itch and some 911 incident probably involves others who will also be calling 911.
  • The new emergency SATT connection option is not available.
  • If Watch is essential to you, Watch pretty much relies on iPhone. I favor traditional watches myself, so no loss at all to me IMO.
  • If CarPlay is essential to you, while iPad OS apparently has CarPlay in it, it only currently works on iPhone. My iPad works great with my cars stock infotainment system via Bluetooth, including making/taking phone calls through steering wheel controls and getting turn-by-turn map prompts over the car speakers. But CarPlay is a bit more than that and that may justify the added costs of a phone to some.
  • Some of Applepay works with iPad but "tap to pay" is iPhone only. I still lean on plastic, which is also tap to pay and works everywhere instead of only in some places.
  • No vibration option for calls or text alerts.
  • Texting will display an email address instead of a phone number in Messages (but very few I text with tends to notice or care). To the few who have noticed over the last 10 years, as soon as I say I'm texting from my iPad and it shows email address, it's quickly understood.
  • The more deluxe iPhones have superior cameras at their much higher prices.
There may be a few more but none leap to mind. In exchange, there is significant cost savings (hardware and service) and "one device to rule them all" instead of juggling 2 devices.

Since you are thinking Mini or Air anyway, an easy option for you would be to buy the iPad, install a VOIP app on it and then test the experience for yourself. Most VOIP apps will give you a free phone number, which makes this kind of testing easy. And if you like it and want to go this way, you can always port your current number to take over as the VOIP number on the iPad (which is exactly what I did long ago).

Send yourself a text and reply to yourself. Have a friend call your iPad and you call a friend. There's nothing like first hand experience to see if this works well for you. Then, you can make a decision of adding a new phone too or just rolling with iPad Mini to cover both jobs.

I have considered this solution before, since Canadian cellphone plan is outrageously expensive.

So I paid $15 for 5GB data on esim and Fongo as VOIP. I did port my main phone number, since port phone number into VOIP is one thing, porting out phone number would next to impossible.

One of the downside for VOIP is text verification code. None of bank will send code to VOIP services and these day you kind have to working phone number to do banking.

Second is the call quality, VOIP (as least for Fongo) can't compare with VOLTE.

Third, VOIP has to stay in foreground all the time, since you don't want miss call, and this will kill battery. And potentially privacy issues comes along (if you care about privacy)

The last thing about using VOIP on iPad is that you either have to put call on speaker or you gonna have to connect to Bluetooth headphones each time for phone calls.

Unless Apple give iPad proper earpiece and phone app, VOIP plus iPad can only serve as temporary solution, it will never be primary telephone device.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I have considered this solution before, since Canadian cellphone plan is outrageously expensive.

So I paid $15 for 5GB data on esim and Fongo as VOIP. I did port my main phone number, since port phone number into VOIP is one thing, porting out phone number would next to impossible.

One of the downside for VOIP is text verification code. None of bank will send code to VOIP services and these day you kind have to working phone number to do banking.

I've heard this and faced it with ONE stage show ticket seller myself, but otherwise have had no problem with it. All banks, investment houses, and all other sources (except that one ticket seller) have worked just fine for me. That ticket seller would ONLY validate by text confirmation... and no other option (like email or phone call validation which just about all others that I use seem to also offer). The workaround for that one situation was validate with a family members phone and then use the service normally with my iPad mini and/or Mac. At some point, I'll have to verify with them again, but it's already been more than a year.

Second is the call quality, VOIP (as least for Fongo) can't compare with VOLTE.

5G is 5G. Voice service is not preserving analog. It's converting it to digital and then back to analog on the other end... just like VOIP. Perhaps it could use a different algorithm or something, but both leave our mouths, get immediately converted to compressed data, shot to the other end and converted back to analog so the other end can hear what we said... then vice versa.

So yes, I'd assume the device or the buds or the VOIP app choice itself, etc. I don't have such problems, nor get told by those with whom I'm speaking. I even specifically ask if I have low bars or am using new buds or just hear a little something in THE signal. Now, a LOT of my time has me in free wifi zones, thus using wifi bandwidth instead of cellular a lot of the time. I'm often complimented on how clear I sound... but some of that could be thanks to making the call on wifi.

Third, VOIP has to stay in foreground all the time, since you don't want miss call, and this will kill battery. And potentially privacy issues comes along (if you care about privacy)

Again, not true for me. I tend to leave the app open but definitely in the background. And I don't notice much battery burn at all. You made me curious, so I checked battery usage: it comes in below Safari, News, Messages, Mail, Amazon, Youtube, and "Home & Lock Screen."

Also, while actively in conversation, I can send the VOIP app to the background and do other things- exactly like using an iPhone, having a conversation while checking movie show times or the weather or a map. No problem.

The last thing about using VOIP on iPad is that you either have to put call on speaker or you gonna have to connect to Bluetooth headphones each time for phone calls.

Yes, so I use buds. If that's inconvenient in the moment, I'll let a call go to voice mail and call or text caller back ASAP.

Unless Apple give iPad proper earpiece and phone app, VOIP plus iPad can only serve as temporary solution, it will never be primary telephone device.

I'll somewhat agree with this one. However, it's served my own telephony needs perfectly fine for > 11 years as my "primary." I don't feel like I've missed a thing for my own purposes (except pocket-ability). In exchange, it has cost farrrrrrrrrrrrr less than 11 years of iPhone hardware (typically replacing every few years) and much more expensive Voice + Text + Data service. Even when one gets down to “bargain” cell service options for around $25/month, I’m paying $25 for a YEAR of the same 5G.

Anyone reading this and feeling any doubts can just download a VOIP app or two to any iDevice they have now and test themselves. Most will give you a free number, so you can test for $0. Call a friend and have them call you. Gauge call quality relative to phone call quality with the same friend. Watch the battery usage to see how much it uses on your iDevices. Text the friend and receive texts through that app.

Hop in your car and see if you can sync it via bluetooth to the built-in audio system. With mine I can use steering wheel call controls to receive calls, make them, hang up, use the car's microphone for the conversation, etc. and listen to map turn-by-turn on the car's speakers, stream music to the car's speakers, etc.

It costs nothing to try if you have an iPad... or even an old iPod Touch. Put a VOIP app on your Mac and it can be a phone in this way too. I've made and received many a (Buds) call through my Mac, using the web version of the VOIP service... and texted with people on cell phones via the Mac too. Like a flashlight, tape measure, map, music player, video player, etc, telephony is just another app. Install that app and about any computing device can become a phone & texting device.

If you ever FaceTime, Zoom, Skype or similar with buds, VOIP audio quality is about the same- you’re simply using a different app that isn’t sharing video too. If you ever record voice in Messages to send a recording instead of text, quality is very much like that, because VOIP is basically working that same way, minus pushing the record button when you want to speak. Again, VOIP apps are generally free to try. So try and see- no hear- for yourself.

Ops situation seems to call for at least considering this option...

I have been thinking of upgrading to a larger iPhone (a Plus or Max model) that would allow me to see various content better because of the larger screen. At the same time, however, I have two doubts:
  • I would not want to carry around an exaggeratedly large device (I would get the iPhone 16s that are supposed to be even bigger this year). However, I generally don't use my phone so much on the fly during the days, I mainly use it while sitting in the office
  • I wouldn't want to spend too much time on my phone-I'm trying to avoid consuming too much content (social, youtube, reddit, etc.). I am afraid that with a large device, I would be attached all day, because it will tempt me to watch content directly from the device thaat I always have with me at hand
Therefore, I thought of another possible solution: an iPhone Mini (13 mini for example) with the addition of an iPad (iPad Mini or an iPad Air).

Consider the bolded wants against the idea. OP could buy only the iPad Mini (first), install a VOIP app or two and see if that can cover not spending "too much time on my phone" phone needs. If OP is using it "mainly sitting in the office" he's probably using it on a higher quality wifi signal most of the time (just like I do).

OP likes to hang on to his phone for many generations, so he's probably value minded. There is huge cost savings by going this way instead of buying a new iPhone every 2 or 3 years and paying much more for the 5G service.

OP generally wants a larger screen for all of the other stuff he does... thus being tempted towards "a larger iPhone" though he doesn't want to "carry around an exaggeratedly large device" which is the one big thing in his own wants against BOTH a bigger iPhone or Mini as a phone.

So OPs working concept is to buy the smallest iPhone mostly to use a compact phone and an iPad for just about everything else. OP could try this idea by buying only the iPad first and seeing if he can roll with it in this way. If not, he could then add the smallest-sized iPhone as a second purchase or maybe even get a dedicated NOT-Apple phone for an even more compact phone & texting device that will cost a lot less than iPhone when he needs to make a call or text when "on the fly" which is "generally not that often." There are lots of not-Apple, unlocked smart phones on Amazon for under $250 but OPs carrier will give them one for $0* with contract if they decide they must have a phone too.

Last edited:

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
I've heard this and faced it with ONE stage show ticket seller myself, but otherwise have had no problem with it. All banks, investment houses, and all other sources (except that one ticket seller) have worked just fine for me. That ticket seller would ONLY validate by text confirmation... and no other option (like email or phone call validation which just about all others that I use seem to also offer). The workaround for that one situation was validate with a family members phone and then use the service normally with my iPad mini and/or Mac. At some point, I'll have to verify with them again, but it's already been more than a year.

Too bad, my bank's verification code won't send through VOIP. It will send, but it will not receive it.

5G is 5G. Voice service is not preserving analog. It's converting it to digital and then back to analog on the other end... just like VOIP. Perhaps it could use a different algorithm or something, but both leave our mouths, get immediately converted to compressed data, shot to the other end and converted back to analog so the other end can hear what we said... then vice versa.

You might be good, but for Fongo app that I use, it often have background noise and sounds like someone is jamming the reception.

Yes, so I use buds. If that's inconvenient in the moment, I'll let a call go to voice mail and call or text caller back ASAP.

I find this is unacceptable compromise. This means I might miss some really important calls. For example, doctor office or any phone call from business.

I'll somewhat agree with this one. However, it's served my own telephony needs perfectly fine for > 11 years as my "primary." I don't feel like I've missed a thing for my own purposes (except pocket-ability). In exchange, it has cost farrrrrrrrrrrrr less than 11 years of iPhone hardware (typically replacing every few years) and much more expensive Voice + Text + Data service. Even when one gets down to “bargain” cell service options for around $25/month, I’m paying $25 for a YEAR of the same 5G.

Anyone reading this and feeling any doubts can just download a VOIP app or two to any iDevice they have now and test themselves. Most will give you a free number, so you can test for $0. Call a friend and have them call you. Gauge call quality relative to phone call quality with the same friend. Watch the battery usage to see how much it uses on your iDevices. Text the friend and receive texts through that app.

Hop in your car and see if you can sync it via bluetooth to the built-in audio system. With mine I can use steering wheel call controls to receive calls, make them, hang up, use the car's microphone for the conversation, etc. and listen to map turn-by-turn on the car's speakers, stream music to the car's speakers, etc.

It costs nothing to try if you have an iPad... or even an old iPod Touch. Put a VOIP app on your Mac and it can be a phone in this way too. I've made and received many a (Buds) call through my Mac, using the web version of the VOIP service... and texted with people on cell phones via the Mac too. Like a flashlight, tape measure, map, music player, video player, etc, telephony is just another app. Install that app and about any computing device can become a phone & texting device.

If you ever FaceTime, Zoom, Skype or similar with buds, VOIP audio quality is about the same- you’re simply using a different app that isn’t sharing video too. If you ever record voice in Messages to send a recording instead of text, quality is very much like that, because VOIP is basically working that same way, minus pushing the record button when you want to speak. Again, VOIP apps are generally free to try. So try and see- no hear- for yourself.

Ops situation seems to call for at least considering this option...

I only tried using VOIP on phone, I fail to understand why on iPad (maybe iPad mini makes somewhat sense). But iPad itself does not support Apple Pay at store and even if it does, would you want use iPad to pay?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Too bad, my bank's verification code won't send through VOIP. It will send, but it will not receive it.

I understand but this thread is about OP, not you (or me). We basically cancel each other out on this issue: both of my banks work with this VOIP setup. So if OP is torn on just our posts, he can install VOIP app for free and just try it and see how it goes. OP is thinking about buying a phone and an iPad... so he could split those purchases into 2 separate transactions and then try this with the iPad (purchased first) and then decide if he needs another iPhone mostly for phone calls... or perhaps some much cheaper phone since it's only for phone calls (for OP). He intends to do most of his iDevice stuff on the iPad.

Maybe- just maybe- he could do ALL of his iDevice stuff on iPad? That's the idea here. The difference between "some" and "all" for OP is whether- as it is for me- an iPad can stand in for a phone for OPs purposes. His post #1 reads like it very well could but it's up to OP to consider the concept and try or not try this suggestion.

You might be good, but for Fongo app that I use, it often have background noise and sounds like someone is jamming the reception.

It is my experience that there are tons of crap apps in the App Store. Then there are OTHER apps that basically do the same stuff promised by those... except 1+ of them will do it well. If Fongo had poor audio and I was interested in VOIP, I would have at least tried a few other VOIP apps. In my time doing this- eleven years now- I've used the Comcast Voice app, Google Voice and Talkatone: ALL sounded great. I've never even heard of Fongo until your posts.

I looked it up and while it has favorable star ratings, every single comment that can be read is negative to very negative about it except one.

I find this is unacceptable compromise.

And I don't, so again we cancel each other out in helping OP think about such options. And thus, once again, I would encourage OP to simply give a free VOIP app or two a try and see what he thinks. Maybe he too will find it an "unacceptable compromise" or maybe he's one that generally uses buds with his existing phone? If so, this will be VERY FAMILIAR telephony territory that works exactly the same way.

This means I might miss some really important calls. For example, doctor office or any phone call from business.

Yes, it does. We all easily miss very important calls that go to voice mail every week. If it's not because we use buds in a principle way, it's because we're otherwise indisposed or suspect it might be telemarketing because some calls don’t identify callers with caller I.D. Call goes to VM, we get it soon afterwards and then we take the appropriate action. I had 2 go to VM tonight because I was in a few hour "silence your cell phone" event. 2 weeks ago, I was on a long flight with no service. When I landed I had several VMs to address.

There is no call from a Doctor's office that requires a live answer. Whether the Dr was calling with the worst possible news or the best, either message can go to VM and you can respond in exactly the same way when you get the recorded news vs. the live version. I can't think of a scenario short of perhaps "we found an organ transplant for you if you can get to the hospital immediately" but that's a scenario where whether buds or speakerphone, you will not allow any Dr. call to go to voice mail.

I run a robust business this way. Client calls go to VM because I'm talking to other clients. If I have to let one go to VM because I'm unable to respond immediately- which happens for all kinds of reasons- I'll simply call or text them back ASAP. It never causes any issue for my business. Perhaps it's different for you but I suspect most people are quite "programmed" to expect to go to VM when they make some business calls. I certainly am.

Nevertheless, if OP is in some kind of business where receiving every call is vital, then this option may not be for him. VOIP dies generally support call waiting and showing who is else is calling now while I’m on another call… and I can switch if the latter call is more important/urgent to take than the current one.

Even if OP has the very best iPhone "latest", unless calls are spaced out so that he's not on the line with another client when someone calls, VM will be a regular experience with his clients. The form factor or phone software of the device won't change that.

I only tried using VOIP on phone, I fail to understand why on iPad (maybe iPad mini makes somewhat sense). But iPad itself does not support Apple Pay at store and even if it does, would you want use iPad to pay?

The reasons why is because one can... it's MUCH CHEAPER than iPhone (hardware & service)... it can be a single device to scratch both itches... all other apps are better on the bigger screen, etc.

And you're right, it does not support Tap to Pay at a store. OP didn't mention that that was a requirement. For my purposes, I don't care that it doesn't support that feature. Instead, I "tap to pay" with an actual card... which pretty much works everywhere instead of the relatively limited places where one can use Applepay.

Last edited:

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
just get a plus/pro max. it's not "exaggeratedly large". personally i think it's too small and i'm happy Apple are making the phones bigger this year and hopefully by the time I upgrade they will be even bigger!

there is no point buying two different devices unless you really want a bigger screen and there is no point buying an iPhone 13 Mini which is over 2 years old now so straight away you're most likely going to be buying a second hand device with a worn out battery and won't get as many software updates (probably not a huge issue with how good apple support their devices).

buy an iPhone 15 (6.1") now or wait for the iPhone 16 (6.3") or the 16 Plus/Pro Max (6.9"). iPad Mini is 8.3" so yeah it'll be bigger but only by 1.4". Really not worth it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
buy an iPhone 15 (6.1") now or wait for the iPhone 16 (6.3") or the 16 Plus/Pro Max (6.9"). iPad Mini is 8.3" so yeah it'll be bigger but only by 1.4". Really not worth it.

Love that last bit (simple subtraction). You might want to look into what the big difference in aspect ratio does for screen size. Here, I'll save you the trouble...

PhoProMaxVsiPadMini6.jpg

In spite of the obligatory "that's what SHE said" jokes likely to follow, what a difference only 1.4 inches makes!

Last edited:
Reactions: geta and subjonas

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Love that last bit (simple subtraction). You might want to look into what the big difference in aspect ratio does for screen size. Here, I'll save you the trouble...

In spite of the obligatory "that's what SHE said" jokes likely to follow, what a difference only 1.4 inches makes!

OP should carry foldable phone. Solving problem of portability and size. LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.