Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrrissss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
UK
Hi
Got ATV 4 for xmas and generally pleased with it but there are are few huge annoyances girl me .. But perhaps I'm missing something so sorry about the rant

1. YouTube... It just seems so bare bones.. I'm logged into it but under subscriptions none of mine show up just useless recommendations!
2. None of my playlists show up in YouTube don't think there are even playlists !
3. I can like or subscribe to anything ( I have auto play off )
4. My YouTube history doesn't show on other devices if watched on ATV

Photos

I used to be able to view all my photos on my old ATV but now just the ones stored in iCloud seem to show ! Would it be so hard to stream them from my Mac ! If you go to my computer section it shows everything but photos!

I love my apple but just lately the experience with things just hasn't been as it used to be.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
All of the things on on 1 thru 4 work for me. But the Photos thing is worse. Can't even sign into the Photos app. Once I sign in it goes right back to the logon screen. I get no photos at all. All the settings are correct in iTunes for sharing but still nothing. Have reported the issue and basically given up.

chrrissss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
UK
All of the things on on 1 thru 4 work for me. But the Photos thing is worse. Can't even sign into the Photos app. Once I sign in it goes right back to the logon screen. I get no photos at all. All the settings are correct in iTunes for sharing but still nothing. Have reported the issue and basically given up.

Interesting to see YouTube works as it should for you, I've tried everything to get it to be fully featured for me but just won't work

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Photos works the same as on ATV 3. To see everything you need to use the computer icon and setup sharing via iTunes. You are just missing the which photos to share.

chrrissss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
UK
Photos works the same as on ATV 3. To see everything you need to use the computer icon and setup sharing via iTunes. You are just missing the which photos to share.
I've done that, still don't work, I haven't even got an option for photos from the computer menu
image.jpeg

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I am having similar issues with the YouTube app. I enjoy YouTube more on the ATV3 then the ATV4.

In my opinion, almost all the apps on the ATV3 are the better versions when compared with the ATV4. The only exception is Hulu, which is slightly better. Although it has a slow start up when compared to the ATV3.

The UI on these Apps are horrible.

The bugs are annoying, but they are getting better.

I also noticed from the forums that it seems like the results people are getting are very inconsistent. Which consistency used to be one of Apple's strengths.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I've done that, still don't work, I haven't even got an option for photos from the computer menu
View attachment 608124
I normally do not use it because I am hoping Apple decides to support iCloud Photos the same on Apple TV as it does on the iPad. Currently on Shared Albums and Photo Stream.
Anyway, I know it worked in the Computers App before so just tested again. Had a strange thing happen. Here is what I did.
1. Had to re-login to iTunes Sharing from the ATV. Maybe have not used it since the last update to ATV.
2. The Photos were not there. So I went and reset the Sharing of Photos and they started to show up again.
In iTunes Menu File / Home Sharing / Choose Photos to Share with Apple TV. In uncheck Photos to Share and then hit Apply. Then checked it again and hit reply. Then on my Apple TV they started to show up again.

Hope it helps you.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
About the photos, I recently had some issues with them in an unrelated way, but the solution might work for you.

I upgraded a lot of things all together, my mac's os, my devices os, the ATV, and my iPhone. There were many changes that I needed to learn, one of them was the photos app.

I needed to set the system photo library in the Photos app because I upgraded from iPhoto to Photos.

I did that by closing Photos, then open it again while holding in ALT. Select the photo library you want to use, then my Photos app showed up in iTunes.

This enabled me to sync my Photos app with my iPhone. It is a long shot, but it maybe your issue too.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I am having similar issues with the YouTube app. I enjoy YouTube more on the ATV3 then the ATV4.

In my opinion, almost all the apps on the ATV3 are the better versions when compared with the ATV4. The only exception is Hulu, which is slightly better. Although it has a slow start up when compared to the ATV3.

The UI on these Apps are horrible.

The bugs are annoying, but they are getting better.

I also noticed from the forums that it seems like the results people are getting are very inconsistent. Which consistency used to be one of Apple's strengths.
I agree with you. Some Apps are better and some are worse. I started watching Hulu a couple months ago heavily when they offered the No Commercial Option. The WatchList was great (like a DVR Recording list). They decided to upgrade the feature and dropped it for a few weeks. It is now back on the Apple TV 2/3 but they have not brought it back to the Apple TV 4 (they gave me 1 month free for my troubles). All this to me is we will have to deal with some of this but the huge advantage is that it is up to the developers and not Apple to correct this. If they get enough negative feedback there is a good chance it will change. Like in my case the Hulu Watchlist (still not yet but hopeful). Of course, I now have access to many many many more Apps to choose from. One that I love (as well as my wife) is the Channels App (Live TV) via HDHomeRun Turners. It is my far the most used App in our house.

chrrissss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
UK
I normally do not use it because I am hoping Apple decides to support iCloud Photos the same on Apple TV as it does on the iPad. Currently on Shared Albums and Photo Stream.
Anyway, I know it worked in the Computers App before so just tested again. Had a strange thing happen. Here is what I did.
1. Had to re-login to iTunes Sharing from the ATV. Maybe have not used it since the last update to ATV.
2. The Photos were not there. So I went and reset the Sharing of Photos and they started to show up again.
In iTunes Menu File / Home Sharing / Choose Photos to Share with Apple TV. In uncheck Photos to Share and then hit Apply. Then checked it again and hit reply. Then on my Apple TV they started to show up again.

Hope it helps you.
yippee ... thanks for that .. they now show up in the computer section ... thats one problem ticked off the list.

Robnsn2015

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2015
I like the Hulu app better on the 4th gen than the 3rd gen. However, YouTube on the 4th gen is like a downgrade from the 3rd gen. I'm guessing YouTube wanted to get something on the 4th gen quickly that worked, so they left off some features. Hopefully we will receive an upgraded version in the near future.

Reactions: Juicy Box

chrrissss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
UK
Yessssss ... Got it all working now, was my fault all along with YouTube , because I have a few gmail accounts I've got a few YouTube accounts, thought I was logged into my main one but wasn't ... I take it all back Apple

Reactions: aristobrat

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I take it all back Apple

I wouldn't take it all back.

The YouTube app is really limited. Although, that may not be due to Apple.

Also the issue with the Photos I blame on Apple.

Apple products were very easy to use a few years ago. Now, they seem unnecessarily complicated that you have to check on the forums to find out why things are no longer working.

I think one reason people are getting inconsistent results is because Apple makes silly changes to things and long time users get confused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.