Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I have a 1 year old iPhone SE that has good battery capacity, and will last all day with heavy use. It has never shut down once due to the battery not being able to deliver peak performance. Except once a few months ago, when I was working outside for 14 hours in -10ºC. The battery drained due to the cold and the phone unexpectedly shut down, as all battery-powered devices after spending many hours in -10ºC. I didn't realize at the time, that my iPhone enabled "performance management" because there was no notification about it. It has been enabled for almost 6 months now without me knowing, and I only realized today. I disabled it now, and my phone is now much faster and like new. So thanks to Apple I now used my nearly brand new iPhone throttled without knowing it for 6 months even though it could have performed much better.

So yeah. Just want everyone to know that iOS can enable throttling without telling you, even if your battery is brand new, and it will stay throttled forever unless you turn it off manually. It's hard to see this as anything but a scam to get you to buy a new device. I wonder how that lawsuit is coming along?

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Except maybe when the battery starts to giving it in, the phone throttles to prolong your expenses for a battery replacement?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Except maybe when the battery starts to giving it in, the phone throttles to prolong your expenses for a battery replacement?

It should notify you first, and it should be obvious that the feature is turned on even if you don't specifically go and check it. And it should be able to differentiate between the phone turning off due to cold weather (which is normal and will happen with a brand new battery too) and the battery actually being old.
[doublepost=1555242421][/doublepost]
So how does one turn that on/off?
Settings > Battery > Battery Health > Scroll to bottom and click the tiny blue link that says "Disable" if it's available.

igroeg

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
It should notify you first, and it should be obvious that the feature is turned on even if you don't specifically go and check it. And it should be able to differentiate between the phone turning off due to cold weather (which is normal and will happen with a brand new battery too) and the battery actually being old.
[doublepost=1555242421][/doublepost]
Settings > Battery > Battery Health > Scroll to bottom and click the tiny blue link that says "Disable" if it's available.

I do not have that option present, but thanks!

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Performance management is applied when your phone has an unexpected shut down. You can disable it, however it will re-enable itself if it happens again.

So moving forward if you pick up your phone and its dead and your surprised just assume that is your message from Apple tell you performance management features are enabled.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I have a 1 year old iPhone SE that has good battery capacity, and will last all day with heavy use. It has never shut down once due to the battery not being able to deliver peak performance. Except once a few months ago, when I was working outside for 14 hours in -10ºC. The battery drained due to the cold and the phone unexpectedly shut down, as all battery-powered devices after spending many hours in -10ºC. I didn't realize at the time, that my iPhone enabled "performance management" because there was no notification about it. It has been enabled for almost 6 months now without me knowing, and I only realized today. I disabled it now, and my phone is now much faster and like new. So thanks to Apple I now used my nearly brand new iPhone throttled without knowing it for 6 months even though it could have performed much better.

So yeah. Just want everyone to know that iOS can enable throttling without telling you, even if your battery is brand new, and it will stay throttled forever unless you turn it off manually. It's hard to see this as anything but a scam to get you to buy a new device. I wonder how that lawsuit is coming along?

It was likely just an error because the shutdown due to cold make the OS think the battery was failing. Apple isn't "scamming" you into buying a new phone.

I don't know why people complain so much about planned obsolescence when it comes to iPhones. The very fact that the SE, a phone with specs that are nearly 4 generations old, is still a perfectly viable phone in 2019 proves that Apple actually supports its products a lot longer than most companies. I don't think there are many Android phones from 2015-2016 that have held up as well as the SE. There probably aren't even any that run the latest version of Android.

Reactions: JBGoode

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
What version of iOS us on the SE? Newer versions of iOS are supposed display a notification about performance management.
I'm running the latest iOS version, and I know there should be a notification. Which is why I was so surprised, since I didn't get any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.