Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Just yesterday, on the "Front Page" section of this site, there was the thing about iOS 9 https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1845435/

It was mentioned that this information was pretty much retrieved from 9to5Mac... Where did they get this info? I really would like for iOS 9 to focus on performance/bug fixes but I have trouble believing that Apple would do that for its mobile operating system. Also, I don't want to set myself up for disappointment if that doesn't happen. All I could find was that "sources" spoke to 9to5Mac. What sources? Is this credible at all??

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
It's understandable for you to be skeptical about reports like this. But you have to remember that this website was made to aggregate rumors thus allowing us to make better informed decisions about when to buy Apple products. This way we know to wait a month or two before getting a new phone because the new iPhone will be coming in "x" days.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I really would like for iOS 9 to focus on performance/bug fixes but I have trouble believing that Apple would do that for its mobile operating system. Also, I don't want to set myself up for disappointment if that doesn't happen.

As a rule of thumb: Apple software rumours more often miss the mark compared to hardware rumours. Software rumours are notoriously difficult to predict, because Apple has a better grip on them, as long as there are no other supporting factors like takeovers (Siri), job openings (Maps) or other occurrences. iOS 8 had so many surprises left. Perhaps Apple will focus more on reliability next time, but even in the case of Snow Leopard, there were plenty of end-user features as well. Not to mention that many of the technologies introduced in Snow Leopard are already in iOS.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
really now..its february.."worry" (more like everyone will be #*#*&(#*&$$ IOS 9 SUCKS IOS 8 WAS GREAT FAST BLA BLA BLA like every year, look at ios 8 now, people cant shut up about how much it "sucks"..typical sheep of society now a days) about ios 9 when wwdc is near..

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
It's alright to doubt it. 9to5 is a pretty known website though.

Yeah but 9to5 also though HealthKit would be the "main feature"/focus of iOS 8. Healthkit did arrive in iOS 8 but it wasn't a huge notable feature.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Just yesterday, on the "Front Page" section of this site, there was the thing about iOS 9 https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1845435/

It was mentioned that this information was pretty much retrieved from 9to5Mac... Where did they get this info? I really would like for iOS 9 to focus on performance/bug fixes but I have trouble believing that Apple would do that for its mobile operating system. Also, I don't want to set myself up for disappointment if that doesn't happen. All I could find was that "sources" spoke to 9to5Mac. What sources? Is this credible at all??

As others have said, it is ok to be skeptical, but 9to5Mac and Mark Gurman specifically are pretty reliable. He's got some pretty good sources within Apple. He was the first and foremost to report many things regarding upcoming Apple software updates, including the iOS 7 redesign, the Health app in iOS 8, and many of the features such as quick reply, etc.

While it's hard to be 100% correct, their information is generally pretty solid and not too far off.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
As others have said, it is ok to be skeptical, but 9to5Mac and Mark Gurman specifically are pretty reliable. He's got some pretty good sources within Apple. He was the first and foremost to report many things regarding upcoming Apple software updates, including the iOS 7 redesign, the Health app in iOS 8, and many of the features such as quick reply, etc.

While it's hard to be 100% correct, their information is generally pretty solid and not too far off.

Alrighty, well that's pretty good to hear. I know that 9to5Mac is a pretty big tech news outlet, but I guess I'm just so hopeful for iOS 9 to be a bug fix/performance update (ESPECIALLY FOR A7 IPADS) that I can't help but be very skeptical, Apple hasn't done much of an "OS X Snow Leapard" update for iOS before, and since the mobile world moves so much faster than the desktop world, taking a breather like this seems a little bit risky, but VERY MUCH NEEDED.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
9to5Mac is very reliable when it comes to this sort of stuff. Obviously they're not gonna say who their source is as they need to maintain some sort of anonymity. However, 9to5 has been pretty much spot on with most of their rumors and information received from their sources, but of course nothing is 100% till announced by Apple.

----------

Yeah but 9to5 also though HealthKit would be the "main feature"/focus of iOS 8. Healthkit did arrive in iOS 8 but it wasn't a huge notable feature.

It's a "tentpole" feature and definitely more important than most of the other things in iOS 8. Apple really only mentions the notable features and will certainly be an even bigger part of iOS 8 (and beyond) when the Apple Watch is released.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Alrighty, well that's pretty good to hear. I know that 9to5Mac is a pretty big tech news outlet, but I guess I'm just so hopeful for iOS 9 to be a bug fix/performance update (ESPECIALLY FOR A7 IPADS) that I can't help but be very skeptical, Apple hasn't done much of an "OS X Snow Leapard" update for iOS before, and since the mobile world moves so much faster than the desktop world, taking a breather like this seems a little bit risky, but VERY MUCH NEEDED.

iOS 6 didn't really bring any major features, in fact removing Google Maps and YouTube is one of the most memorable things about it.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
That's subjective. It was to me.

I don't know how that is subjective. I'm not saying the Health App wasn't important but it wasn't the main focus of iOS 8 as 9to5Mac claimed it would be.

It's like saying third-party keyboards weren't the highlight of iOS 8. I can't live without Swype and it's a big deal to others, but it definitely didn't define iOS 8.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I don't know how that is subjective. I'm not saying the Health App wasn't important but it wasn't the main focus of iOS 8 as 9to5Mac claimed it would be.

It's like saying third-party keyboards weren't the highlight of iOS 8. I can't live without Swype and it's a big deal to others, but it definitely didn't define iOS 8.

I don't think they said it would be the main focus of iOS but rather Apple's foray into the health tracking space. I think so far it's been a mildly successful venture in that hospitals and doctors are joining in on it so patients can send their data to them. Soon, the Apple Watch help out with this focus and will be more of a "dedicated" device for health tracking than the iPhone is right now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
9to5Mac is very reliable when it comes to this sort of stuff. Obviously they're not gonna say who their source is as they need to maintain some sort of anonymity. However, 9to5 has been pretty much spot on with most of their rumors and information received from their sources, but of course nothing is 100% till announced by Apple.

----------

It's a "tentpole" feature and definitely more important than most of the other things in iOS 8. Apple really only mentions the notable features and will certainly be an even bigger part of iOS 8 (and beyond) when the Apple Watch is released.
It might be one of the "tentpole" features, and certainly one of the main/bigger features in iOS 8, but there are a number of others that I (and likely many others) would see as being similarly important/big and to quite a few potentially even bigger. So if according to 9to5 Health was supposed to be the main feature/focus of iOS 8, as someone mentioned (assuming that's true), that wouldn't really be the case.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
It might be one of the "tentpole" features, and certainly one of the main/bigger features in iOS 8, but there are a number of others that I (and likely many others) would see as being similarly important/big and to quite a few potentially even bigger. So if according to 9to5 Health was supposed to be the main feature/focus of iOS 8, as someone mentioned (assuming that's true), that wouldn't really be the case.

Exactly. I never said Health was the main focus of iOS 8, but rather implied that it is just one of the several main focuses.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Exactly. I never said Health was the main focus of iOS 8, but rather implied that it is just one of the several main focuses.

But I think the point was that 9to5 said that or at least strongly implied that and were off on that.

hattonna928

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014

Mark Gurman at 9to5Mac is usually a pretty reliable source. And iOS 9 wouldn't be without new features. It just wouldn't be such a feature heavy update like iOS 8 was. Think of it as the OS X Snow Leopard of iOS. That version still had a lot of new features, but they weren't major features. The focus was on tuning things up and getting rid of bugs. Something that iOS honestly needs. We got a wonderful visual update with 7, and features galore with 8, but the bugs are piling up and now we are 6 public updates into iOS 8 and the bugs still aren't gone.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
But I think the point was that 9to5 said that or at least strongly implied that and were off on that.

The point is, they still accurately reported about the Health app and the initiative prior to its unveiling and that's what matters. I think whether or not they were right about it being a headline feature is irrelevant.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The point is, they still accurately reported about the Health app and the initiative prior to its unveiling and that's what matters. I think whether or not they were right about it being a headline feature is irrelevant.
In the context of this discussion it's relevant since that is why that was brought up. If they are saying the primary focus of iOS 9 is improvements/fixes and it turns out to be just one aspect of it but in addition to various other new features and changes, then although there will be improvements/fixes, perhaps it still won't be enough to make things great, and perhaps just OK (as opposed to it likely being much more than OK if truly most of the time and effort was just spent on optimizations and fixes).

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Is there any sense in commenting early rumors like those ?
I'm looking forward a balanced iOS 9, with a few new features and a lot of improvements on current features.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
really now..its february.."worry" (more like everyone will be #*#*&(#*&$$ IOS 9 SUCKS IOS 8 WAS GREAT FAST BLA BLA BLA like every year, look at ios 8 now, people cant shut up about how much it "sucks"..typical sheep of society now a days) about ios 9 when wwdc is near..

Interesting....

Sheep are the ones who blindly accept what they are told and don't see beyond.

Those who speak up and voice their opinions about what is lacking, what they want, etc. aren't the sheep.

Those who just regurgitate the Apple PR are the sheep.

And, for the record, I don't mind the ios 7 and 8 interface. But, I totally understand the other's perspective and appreciate that they have an opinion.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Interesting....

Sheep are the ones who blindly accept what they are told and don't see beyond.

Those who speak up and voice their opinions about what is lacking, what they want, etc. aren't the sheep.

Those who just regurgitate the Apple PR are the sheep.

And, for the record, I don't mind the ios 7 and 8 interface. But, I totally understand the other's perspective and appreciate that they have an opinion.

alot of people just blindly follow/have a panic attack over ios 8 (or whatever the topic is about) just cause their "friends do" or they "heard X about Y" etc without even trying it & as usual, the majority are fine on it, one guy was getting irritated at me cause he insisted it was horrible for iphone 5 when i went against him & said its perfectly fine on my iphone 5, both had the exact same model, same settings, both even did full restores, i was fine, he wasnt so he said..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.