Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R-41157

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Under Your Bed . . .
Okay, I posted a while ago debating whether to get a MBP or Macbook. After some thinking and seeing the new updates I am more than tempted by the 2.4GB macbook over the new MBP as I can save some money and get the 20" cinema display i want as well for about the same price as just a MPB. So my question/s are as follows . . .

Is the only real difference between a white and black macbook the colour? or is there some performance hike there too? I quite like both colours but have heard about discolouration on the white ones - so i am quite temped by the black! But then again, all my laptops have basically been black so maybe white would be a nice change!

Also, will the resolution of the 13" screen of the macbook transfer well onto the cinema display as I will be doing most of my photo editing and design work on this at my desk.

Many thanks for any help!

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
There is really no real difference between them; however I got the BMB because MacWorld reviewed them and gave the BMB by the slimmest of measures but the advantage nonetheless.

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Okay, I posted a while ago debating whether to get a MBP or Macbook. After some thinking and seeing the new updates I am more than tempted by the 2.4GB macbook over the new MBP as I can save some money and get the 20" cinema display i want as well for about the same price as just a MPB. So my question/s are as follows . . .

Is the only real difference between a white and black macbook the colour? or is there some performance hike there too? I quite like both colours but have heard about discolouration on the white ones - so i am quite temped by the black! But then again, all my laptops have basically been black so maybe white would be a nice change! I read that the product called "magic eraser" is PERFECT for cleaning the white MacBooks!

Also, will the resolution of the 13" screen of the macbook transfer well onto the cinema display as I will be doing most of my photo editing and design work on this at my desk.

Many thanks for any help!

I was also debating between the MBP and MB; I had originally planned to get last year's 2.4 closeout MBP, then I started taking a SERIOUS look at the MBs and I was really impressed. For me, it was black all the way. Speaking objectively, the black model 2.4 does have a larger hd, but that's the only performance advantage and yeah, it is slight as mentioned above.

I think it's not so much a discolouration on the whites but just b/c they're white, they show dirt easier so need to be cleaned maybe more often than a black. The original MBs suffered from actual discolouration, but they fixed that issue about two speed bumps ago. So no worries there. It's just a matter of personal preference at this point. Maybe white would be a nice change for you, go with your gut!

Sorry can't answer the last question exactly, but I'd imagine you won't have any problem as designers and photo editors did work with less resolution just a scant few years ago. FWIW, I have read for certain that you are fine with up to 24" external monitor with a MB. Good luck and enjoy!

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I'm getting a MacBook over the MBP fairly soon for the mere reason that the plastic case suits me better than the aluminum. I also had hoped for some time that Apple would put a video card in the MBs, but it's clear now that's not going to happen. I tried the new penryn MBs and have been happy enough to go get one next week.

TygerMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
New Hampshire
I got my new MacBook only 2 days ago and it is simply amazing. I went with White, just because I liked the color better. Great performance, doesn't get very hot and doesn't make any fan noise. I would recommend this buy to anyone.

R-41157

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Under Your Bed . . .
Well, I have just gone and split water all over my HP laptop and now the thing wont work . . . think it is definately time to make the switch! shame tht I have just had a HUGE mobile phone bill for a holiday in NYC to contend with today as well! Not sure if I can afford it now! :s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.