Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hassel

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Narnia
I think I may have to send it back (amazon purchase)
It's core2duo and supports 64bit operating systems but the efi only boots in 32bit.
I wanted to put an up to date linux 64bit distro on it. (I love the look of Manjaro xfce)
It is currently running os x sierra with 8gb of ram on a 256gb ssd.
Also it has usb 2 slots but cant boot with usb thumb
What do?

Sophie. xx

hassel

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Narnia
Your stuck with a 32 bit EFI as far as I know. Enjoy Sierra its a good OS.

Well, I have received the macbook and it has mojave on it, it's a 2010 whiti macbook.
I can boot usb 64bit ubuntu and install with no problems, so I think it may have had a EFI upgrade or something,

Sophie xx.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Well, I have received the macbook and it has mojave on it, it's a 2010 whiti macbook.
I can boot usb 64bit ubuntu and install with no problems, so I think it may have had a EFI upgrade or something,

Sophie xx.

You should look at a SSD Raid 0 if you don't use the Superdrive. My 2010 has read writes in the 450+ with dual 512's.

Reactions: hassel

hassel

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Narnia
Thats cool, using linux mint on it atm and it seems faster that my moms 2017 imac, especially the read write speeds. crazy.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
An SSD can really bring these guys back to the operational speed and subjective performance of today's laptops for everyday tasks. Plus they turn a lot more heads than just a silver MacBook as well ;)

Reactions: Glockworkorange

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Use it and enjoy it! I use a 2010 white MacBook with 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD running High Sierra as my main laptop in my classroom, and it chews through everything I throw at it with no issue. I swapped out the keys in mine with those from a MacBook Pro, so it looks even spiffier :)

3DB4DFFE-D85F-4280-8E51-872DDF6B0FB7.jpeg

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Your stuck with a 32 bit EFI as far as I know. Enjoy Sierra its a good OS.

According to everymac.com MacBook 5,2 and 6,1 as well as 7,1 which cover 2009 and 2010 poly Macs have 64bit EFI. Unless I looked at it wrong last time I did. Even my 2008 black poly Mac has 64 bit EFI. However, Linux runs like crap on that, but fairs well on the others I have. My information may be wrong, so head over there and check it out if there are any doubts. These are good machines for their age.
[automerge]1577294979[/automerge]
Use it and enjoy it! I use a 2010 white MacBook with 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD running High Sierra as my main laptop in my classroom, and it chews through everything I throw at it with no issue. I swapped out the keys in mine with those from a MacBook Pro, so it looks even spiffier :)

View attachment 884223

Looks great! Love these Macs. Just bought 3 of them for presents for the kids and they love them. They are younger and just getting into computers, so the most they will do with them is play Roblox, which runs well on the 2010 320m GPU.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
According to everymac.com MacBook 5,2 and 6,1 as well as 7,1 which cover 2009 and 2010 poly Macs have 64bit EFI. Unless I looked at it wrong last time I did. Even my 2008 black poly Mac has 64 bit EFI. However, Linux runs like crap on that, but fairs well on the others I have. My information may be wrong, so head over there and check it out if there are any doubts. These are good machines for their age.
[automerge]1577294979[/automerge]

Looks great! Love these Macs. Just bought 3 of them for presents for the kids and they love them. They are younger and just getting into computers, so the most they will do with them is play Roblox, which runs well on the 2010 320m GPU.

I was going by memory and had some of my old MB's confused, I have like 5 of the white books. My bad.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Just put a 250GB OWC Electra 3G as well as their 6GB RAM kit into my 5,2, it's a lot speedier than the random Sandisk I had in it previously. Highly recommend their stuff, it's like it's almost tuned for Macs versus the other guys stuff (I know there really is no such thing, however the subjective experience is like that).

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Just put a 250GB OWC Electra 3G as well as their 6GB RAM kit into my 5,2, it's a lot speedier than the random Sandisk I had in it previously. Highly recommend their stuff, it's like it's almost tuned for Macs versus the other guys stuff (I know there really is no such thing, however the subjective experience is like that).

I think OWC actually does use hardware that is better performing to Mac. May not be literally tuned, but with their years of experience in the aftermarket Mac world, I think they know what will work best with Macs and relabel that, or whatever they do. I had an Electra SSD, not sure where it went though. I remember it working fine. I also had an Imation SSD and it sucked. Noticeably laggy. Their prices are fair too.

Do you know if my early 09 logic board from my A1181 5,2 will fit into my early 2008 black A1181 4,1? I know between these machines there were differences, but all the ports are the same and the general shape of the logic board and fan are the same. My white poly a1181 is in good shape, but I came across the black MacBook in very good shape for $20 and would like to... I dunno, maybe use it. Already have an ssd and 6gb ram ready for it.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I’ve been amazed at just how solid this laptop still is. I use mine in my classroom as my main laptop. I teach robotics and coding. It handles all my coding needs, as well as heavy MS Office use. I also do some light 3D modeling and CAD work on it with the advanced classes, and it’s been able to keep up with that! I don’t see myself ditching this laptop for a while, although I do have a 2015 11” Air lined up as its eventual replacement.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
I’ve been amazed at just how solid this laptop still is. I use mine in my classroom as my main laptop. I teach robotics and coding. It handles all my coding needs, as well as heavy MS Office use. I also do some light 3D modeling and CAD work on it with the advanced classes, and it’s been able to keep up with that! I don’t see myself ditching this laptop for a while, although I do have a 2015 11” Air lined up as its eventual replacement.

That's good to hear. My daughter will be starting high school next year and I was hoping hers will get her through the first year or two. Not that it's needed in class, but is needed for homework and to submit assignments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.