Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGeneralLee86

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
West Topsham, VT
I bought a Classic that works but needs the disk drive lubricated I think because it does not auto eject the disks and also bought a classic II that needs caps I believe because the screen has wide bars vertically down the screen and can't wait to fix the II!

macintroops

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2006
I bought a Classic that works but needs the disk drive lubricated I think because it does not auto eject the disks and also bought a classic II that needs caps I believe because the screen has wide bars vertically down the screen and can't wait to fix the II!
Strip it down and stick the logic board in the dishwasher. Cleans all the cap residue off. I did this to my classic II about 10 years ago and it’s still working well.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I like to use a spray cleaner to first saturate the board and dissolve crud that may be built up. Then once it sits for a few moments, tilt the board and start at the top and kind of pressure wash the board while moving across and downwards to wash away old residue.

Just make sure you’re using one designed for charged circuits. Capacitors sometimes can hold a charge after being unplugged. So I prefer to use one that specifically states it can be used on charged contacts.

I haven’t used any or needed any for a while. So I don’t have specific recommendations. But here’s an Amazon link to similar products:

I’d avoid any that say they lubricate. Because you don’t want that.

The advantage of a circuit board / contact cleaner, is that it evaporates quickly and you don’t have to wonder if any droplets of water remain under tight unseen spaces like chips or pins.

Isopropyl Alchohol of 90% is also a good evaporative alternative to water.

Last edited:

TheGeneralLee86

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
West Topsham, VT
Just bought some Logic Boards that have been recapped for both My Classic and Classic II and Memory expansions too! I can't wait to get the boards and RAM Expansions fully installed!

TheGeneralLee86

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
West Topsham, VT
I installed them both today and the Mac Classic has sound again and works a little better with 4megs of ram rather than 2 and the classic II now at least has a screen but I think the HDD is dead cause I get a floppy disk with a question mark?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.