Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Hi folks!

This is an unusual issue, so it doesn't really fit into any specific forum on the MacRumors site. This forum was the closest, so here goes...

I just bought a brand-new unlocked iPhone SE (2022) from Apple's web-site. I was thrilled to receive it.

In the past, I had bought a couple of other unlocked smartphones (Motorola G series phones, running Android) and bought SIM card kits from TracFone Wireless (pay-as-you-go, minutes-based plans) for "bring your own phone" contingencies. This may seem really cheap to many on this forum, but I live in the hills and even with more cell towers going up it never seemed worth it to go with regular monthly-payment cellular plans; most of the time, my smartphone is used as a WiFi device anyway. The Tracfone "bring your own phone" kits worked, so I kept using them.

Now for the trouble part...

I bought another Tracfone ("BYOP") SIM kit off of Amazon the same night I bought the new iPhone SE. It arrived and I tried installing the SIM into my new SE. It didn't work. I got on the phone with Tracfone Technical Support, whose service was barely adequate in the past, and told them about my problem. I learned from Tracfone's automated phone tree that Tracfone "is now part of the Verizon family", in other words, Verizon bought Tracfone.

When I go to speak to a human, I learned that "those SIM cards won't work", and, of course, Tracfone was going to send me a nice new Verizon SIM card. (Couldn't you see that one coming?) Tracfone said they would send it out right away. Over a week passed, and nothing arrived. My shiny new iPhone SE languishes...

I decided to call Tracfone and ask them what gives. They said they would send me out a NEW SIM kit the next business day! Hip, hip, hooray. I stayed on there for quite a while and got passed around to a few different people. I also asked why another Tracfone cell, used by another family member, was not working. As predictable as the sun rising, I was told that Tracfone needed a new SIM card. They also said the minutes needed to be refreshed because they had expired. I ordered new minutes right there on the phone. Nothing happened. They said that old phone was not compatible with the Verizon network. Well, great. Th\at old phone is now a brick. I asked for a refund. They said the order was in the system and could not be revoked until it was processed. I had to call back the next day to revoke the order, but they said it would take time.

Finally, a few days ago, a new SIM card kit arrived with a shiny new SIM card. I installed the new card in the iPhone SE. I followed their procedure to activate the SE and to deactivate my old Motorola. Nothing happened. This morning, I received a notification on my Motorola that my service had been discontinued. I checked the iPhone to see if it was now active... nope...

I called Tracfone this afternoon. After being passed around again, they still cannot activate the new phone. They claimed I needed to purchase new minutes. I tried to check my phone app, but now neither phone works so I couldn't check anything. Tracfone tried to walk me through a lengthy authentication process to confirm I was really me and my phone was really my phone. But since neither phone worked, they could not send me any text messages to confirm any authentication.

Then it turned hilarious: they had me dig into my old SIM kit that I bought from Amazon (the one that they said was outdated) and had me install a SIM into the Motorola. BANG! All those messages they said they sent to me that I could not receive, there they were. They said they sent me e-mails as well, but I checked and checked and nothing ever arrived. I even looked for SPAM and still nothing.

Are there any good pay-as-you-go, minutes-based cellular services out there that don't suck totally? I'm not sure I can put up with Verizon and Tracfone becoming Veracfone. My family already puts up with lackluster service from Verizon for landline and DSL, and Verizon loves to nickel and dime its customers to death while providing lackluster service at best.

I don't want to throw away a couple thousand Tracfone minutes, but their support personnel don't have a clue and even the supervisors can be impossible to deal with. And at this moment, my iPhone SE still doesn't work.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Have you tried looking at Boost Mobile instead? It's the Sprint/T-Mo bargain brand.
Boost was sold as part of the deal with the Sprint/T-Mobile merger. Neither company has anything to do with it as it's owned by DISH now.

Metro PCS though is T-Mobile's prepaid brand.

Incidentally, Sprint is dead. It's just taking a while for T-Mobile to consume it.

Reactions: Wingsley

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Boost was sold as part of the deal with the Sprint/T-Mobile merger. Neither company has anything to do with it as it's owned by DISH now.

Metro PCS though is T-Mobile's prepaid brand.

Incidentally, Sprint is dead. It's just taking a while for T-Mobile to consume it.
While I read that Boost is now Dish, doesn't Boost still piggy on Sprint's old towers?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
While I read that Boost is now Dish, doesn't Boost still piggy on Sprint's old towers?
I can't say for sure.

Part of the merger agreement was that assets were to be sold to DISH, creating a 'fourth' carrier and that T-Mob was to allow DISH some time to get started. Part of that was not shutting down the CDMA/3G network - which is currently set to be switched off by June. And June was an extension. T-Mob originally scheduled to shut it down in April.

So I have absolutely no idea what DISH is doing with Boost right now and whose towers Boost is using.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I use Red Pocket Mobile. I had AT&T prepaid for a couple years before that. Red Pocket is faster and more reliable for me, and they don’t throttle you during peak hours like most of the major carriers do to their prepaid customers.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
AT&T prepaid is $30/month with 5GB data that rolls over to 10GB if it’s not used.
I’ve used them (AT&T Prepaid) exclusively for 7 years with zero issues.

Before I had an iPhone, I had a cheapo TracFone flip phone I purchased at a grocery store. Back then it was fine cuz I only used it for phone calls but TracFone service isn’t exactly cheap. I wouldn’t use them again.
It’s good for buying minutes at a convenience store for a flip phone though.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Have you tried looking at Boost Mobile instead? It's the Sprint/T-Mo bargain brand.
I wholeheartedly 2nd this recommendation. I've been with BoostMobile from when they were with NexTel. They managed to keep my service going without hiccup as they changed underlying carrier networks over the years. Switching phones via their website has been dead-simple and perfect every time.

I'm not a one of those live-on-your-phone type person, but the price for the package that I have is an excellent deal, IMO. I also appreciate the ease and turning on/off hotspot access via the phone with no additional charge.

But that's my (and my wife's) experiences, that is no guarantee that those with a dark storm cloud that is perpetually over their head won't encounter problems. ;)

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I have not contacted any other cellular providers yet. I've been researching on YouTube about cell plans.

In other news, I cut ties with Tracfone this evening. I spent a couple hours on the phone with them and accomplished nothing. I will not be talking with them anymore. We kept going round and round and switching SIM cards and reading numbers with a magnifying glass and it was all a waste of time. In the end, the answer was always the same: "we can't help you".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.