Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
hi

thanks for the info about Knog.

i actually had never heard of that company until you mentioned them,
so i went to their site. and like wow. totally a company that has taken the Air Tag to a new level.

i have purchased one on line, and will get it next week.

to be fair to this thread's discussion however, it appears to me that the Scout Travel by Knog is almost a completely different device than apple's Air Tag. it is very specifically built for the scenario you put forth - meaning: to specifically warn you immediately if that thing (device or luggage or whatever) moves from the exact location you left it at. it even has an 85 dB alert at the tagged item location (!). its not surprising that Kong (basically a bike products company) commissioned this.

thanks for the info about this company.

here are links (in japanese, sorry...) for two this product.

Your welcome

It actually works exactly as I was hoping the AirTag to work

I had to buy an AirTag and find out it did not work to get there

The air tag is still in my desk drawer

It beeps sometimes

Maybe I’ll find a use for it someday

I hate it feeling so sad

Maybe I’ll introduce it to my 2012 Mac mini one day. The last apple computer I ever bought

I want to buy a Mac so bad but they are just not good enough

I’ll keep running macOS on my new intel build til they figure it out

EllaWilson3

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2024
hi

thanks for the info about Knog.

i actually had never heard of that company until you mentioned them,
so i went to their site. and like wow. totally a company that has taken the Air Tag to a new level.

i have purchased one on line, and will get it next week.

to be fair to this thread's discussion however, it appears to me that the Scout Travel by Knog is almost a completely different device than apple's Air Tag. it is very specifically built for the scenario you put forth - meaning: to specifically warn you immediately if that thing (device or luggage or whatever) moves from the exact location you left it at. it even has an 85 dB alert at the tagged item location (!). its not surprising that Kong (basically a bike products company) commissioned this.

thanks for the info about this company.

here are links (in japanese, sorry...) for two this product.
This knog thing sounds interesting. It seems like I can't find the post about it, but I'd definitely want to find out more about it. If it's a low-cost alternative, I'd give it a try for sure, no matter how much I adore Apple products.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017
Buy a strong bike lock. There are no other alternatives.

obviously there is no alternative to a good lock. This provides an extra layer of protection by potentially scaring someone off while simultaneously giving you a heads up if someone takes an angle grinder to your lock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.