Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Ok guys, sorry for creating a thread like this but I just really wanted to test out my iPad (I'm typing this on it now) anyway, I sold my 3GS iPhone last week with the intention of getting the 4g iPhone when it launched, anyway I live the in the uk and the iPad just came out a few days a go, I decided I'd go to my local pc world to have a go on it, previous to this I had no intention of buying the iPad and had actually previously slated it (no pun intended) anyway, from the moment I laid eyes on it I was in love lol, anyway I ended up buying one on the spot and absolutely adore it so far and don't regret buying it one bit. Oh and this is the longest I've used the keyboard so far and typing this message was an absolute dream :-D

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Well my local pc world didn't actually have any and neither did my local apple store, my local currys.digital store (my mistake, it wasn't pc world as previosuly stated, I have no idea why I put that)' anyway my local currys store had 15 in stock, they must have just had a delivery or something.

I got the 16Gb wifi version, my reasons for only getting the 16gb version was that I have never ever filled my iPhones With more than 4gb of data so anything more than 16gb would have been an overkill and I didn't get the wifi version as I don't plan on ever being out of range of a router and needing an Internet connection, I mean I won't be taking it to work with me or taking it on the bus so that would have been a waste of money too

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
....glad you like it, I'd have to get at least the 64Gb model myself as I like to be able to access a bunch of video's or that music you forgot you had way back when (as your shuffling your collection) when I'm traveling (via the use of back up batteries)...

I can see I may want an iPad when they hit ~128Gb in storage... by then my whitebook and eeePC will be "old enough" to replace:)

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Wow, I don't think I'd EVER be able to find that much data I'd want to out on my iPad, I might be able to fill my iPad if I scouted my whole pc and filled it with a bunch of random music and videos but none of it would be stuff I'd want on my iPad, I have purchased "air video" anyway, so I can stream anything I want to watch from my pc to my iPad anyway

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Wow, I don't think I'd EVER be able to find that much data I'd want to out on my iPad, I might be able to fill my iPad if I scouted my whole pc and filled it with a bunch of random music and videos but none of it would be stuff I'd want on my iPad, I have purchased "air video" anyway, so I can stream anything I want to watch from my pc to my iPad anyway

Start loading video, that will eat the space!

But if you don't do that, then the smaller one should work fine for you. Congrats and enjoy!

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Thank you very much and I am doing :D the only problem I have so far is the lack of native iPad apps ATM, I mean I use engadget and eBay quite a lot and there are no iPad apps for them as of yet, I know you can just install the iPhone versions but they look terrible when maximised...guess I will just have to visit the actual webistes for now until an update is released

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Yes, it is a real shame that there are not more native iPad apps available yet. Seems a bit strange seeing as the iPad has been released for over a month now.

The usual suspects like Facebook and ebay are a little weird but the real shock for me were the Apple apps like iDisk and the Gallery didn't get upgrades.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Re: Just bought an ipad

Yeah... you and two million other people.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I'm sure they will come in good time though, I don't mind using the actual websites for now

youngmac

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
London
bought 64gb wifi

Hi
I just came back from london regent street apple store, i wasn't sure between wifi and 3g (because i've already 3g on my iphone). I decided today for wifi and spend the £100 on memory. I will use mostly at home and other place with wi-fi, I always get wi-fi whenever i need.
They didn't have the 3g on stock anyway only 16GB and 64GB wi-fi, store was full of people and they were mostly around the ipads, you had to wait to try one. there was a queue for the ipad buyers, it wasn't to long though.
i am going to activate it now! i loved it when i tried at the store.
So exciting.

just a question should i choose restore from iphone backup or new ipad? when activating. cheers guys

ItsThatKush

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
i have found that the actual webpages for some things are better than an app.

for instance facebook. no app on iPad (yet anyway). i like facebook.com better than the actual app. so i just used safari to create a bookmark on the home screen. it creates an icon like its an app, but just takes me to my profile. same goes for ebay, twitter, espn, etc etc.

Mrrikki

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Hi
I just came back from london regent street apple store, i wasn't sure between wifi and 3g (because i've already 3g on my iphone). I decided today for wifi and spend the £100 on memory. I will use mostly at home and other place with wi-fi, I always get wi-fi whenever i need.
They didn't have the 3g on stock anyway only 16GB and 64GB wi-fi, store was full of people and they were mostly around the ipads, you had to wait to try one. there was a queue for the ipad buyers, it wasn't to long though.
i am going to activate it now! i loved it when i tried at the store.
So exciting.

just a question should i choose restore from iphone backup or new ipad? when activating. cheers guys

Up to you if you want your iPhone settings and apps. I started new personally.

youngmac

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
London
thanks for the quick reply guys, i think i will start new as well. i want apps made for the ipad on mine, dont want iphone apps on ipad

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
just picked mine up today

Didn't want to start a new thread so I found the most recent one with the same topic. Just picked up my 16GB wifi today from the store. Had to put myself on the wait list yesterday because they were out of stock so I was hella excited when the email came this morning saying it was here. I had already downloaded some apps that I knew I was going to need. I've heard a lot about goodreader and I plan to sync a lot of military FM's on there so I'll see how that goes shortly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.