Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heebeejeebies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
New Jersey
After 10 years of using only iOS devices, I just got my first Android device - a Samsung Galaxy Note8. The Note8 is a secondary phone to my primary iPhone 8+. I set it up as a new device, and did all the preliminary stuff. I'm very impressed by some of the features I've found, having used the phone for a day and a half now, but I feel like there's a lot more that seasoned Android users know from experience. Hopefully they can impart some wisdom.
  • What's the difference between linking my Samsung account and my Google account?
  • Is there something like iCloud for Windows so that I can sync Outlook contacts and calendar with my Note8?
  • I currently have the built in e-mail client, Gmail, and Outlook. Is one better than the other?
  • What's the difference between the Galaxy App Store and the Google Play Store?
  • Does the Always on Display use a significant amount of battery? I love the way it looks, but I feel like my battery is not as great as it is on my iPhone.
  • Bixby or Google Assistant? (assuming I can understand how Bixby works)
What are other things that I can only do with Android OS?

I know posting on an Apple-oriented forum with these questions is a little weird, but I don't know anything else besides this place. I'm trying to open myself to other alternatives to iOS and this community seems to know more about Android than I do.

Thanks!

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
The return policy..

XDA Developers is the website your looking for...
[doublepost=1511799563][/doublepost]I never used the Samsung account just mostly Google because thats how you get to your calendar, notes and contacts from a PC. If you want to backup your activity though I you will need to setup Samsung account. I did use the Samsung computer backup app I forget whats its call at the moment. The galaxy app store has apps optimized for the device so like it might have a widget for the side bar thing that I disable. I never turned off AOD because I like it so I have no idea if the battery is any better or not. I liked bixby because of the integration but also used google assistant so you will have to try both. I don't think you can get "hay google" or what ever to work all the time like Bixby but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
The backup app is Kies.

The Samsung Galaxy app store differs from the Google Play store in that it has a smaller collection of apps. Google has quite a few more. Also, if you ever think you'll get a non-Samsung device (there ARE other manufacturers building devices running Android), you're best off purchasing apps through the Google one as that will allow you to transition the purchase to subsequent devices.

There is no iCloud connection for Android, that I'm aware of.

Linking both accounts - that's personal preference. The primary reason to do that would be to sync calendar, contacts, etc across devices. But if you're using devices other than Samsung, this won't help at all. I just use Google for all that (but my mobile devices are all Android).

I don't use the Samsung email client, or Outlook, I stick to Gmail and can manage 4 email accounts just fine.

Sorry, I can't speak to Bixby or AOD on the phones, my only Samsung device is a tablet.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The method to add contacts to Android is fairly well documented, however be aware that usually that involves moving to Google Contacts.

Good luck getting to any of your iCloud services on Android, but definitely use Outlook and Gmail on Android. Heck, Outlook on iOS is great.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
  • What's the difference between linking my Samsung account and my Google account?
Google sync is the most viable, ive never used Samsung Sync at all, Googles route is better down the line if you switch brands also
  • Is there something like iCloud for Windows so that I can sync Outlook contacts and calendar with my Note8?
Not sure as i do not use outlook myself
  • I currently have the built in e-mail client, Gmail, and Outlook. Is one better than the other?
For years now i have only used the gmail app, if you need exchange features for microsoft then the samsung email client is best. You can add outlook and exchange into the standard email client. However i have all my email accounts pull into google direct that way google assitant has full info for what was google now, so cards show relevant delivereies calendar entries etc from non gmail accounts also
  • What's the difference between the Galaxy App Store and the Google Play Store?
Galaxy app store is fine for getting updates to inbuilt apps otherwise i do not visit it often as play store is the place to go
  • Does the Always on Display use a significant amount of battery? I love the way it looks, but I feel like my battery is not as great as it is on my iPhone.
uses minimum battery mileage may vary but on xda its between 1 and 2 percent
  • Bixby or Google Assistant? (assuming I can understand how Bixby works)
Google assitant is great for what it does like Siri, however those that have used Bixby state its more for controlling the phone and getting it to do things that google assistant cant, i.e ask bixby to open your camera and take a front facing selfie as an example.

Heebeejeebies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
New Jersey
Thanks for all the info. Sounds like I need to get my Google account in order and use that as my base to sync everything to my Note8.

The method to add contacts to Android is fairly well documented, however be aware that usually that involves moving to Google Contacts.

Good luck getting to any of your iCloud services on Android, but definitely use Outlook and Gmail on Android. Heck, Outlook on iOS is great.

I don't need my iCloud on Android, but I was wondering if there was something like that to keep Outlook contacts and Note8 contacts constantly in sync. Seems like that is not currently an option, but if I use a Google account, contacts will sync between Outlook and my Note8 through Google.

The return policy..

So far I've been happy with my experience. Definitely some new things to explore and some hoops to jump through, but I do the same with iOS now so that things will work - it's just become second nature and I'm sure it'll become second nature with my Note8. It's a pretty phone, but I look forward to my iPhone upgrade next year anyway.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Thanks for all the info. Sounds like I need to get my Google account in order and use that as my base to sync everything to my Note8.

I don't need my iCloud on Android, but I was wondering if there was something like that to keep Outlook contacts and Note8 contacts constantly in sync. Seems like that is not currently an option, but if I use a Google account, contacts will sync between Outlook and my Note8 through Google.

So far I've been happy with my experience. Definitely some new things to explore and some hoops to jump through, but I do the same with iOS now so that things will work - it's just become second nature and I'm sure it'll become second nature with my Note8. It's a pretty phone, but I look forward to my iPhone upgrade next year anyway.

I just have an S8 and I totally agree great looking phone. Had some fun playing with some launchers (Nova) and it has some tricks up its sleeve. I also bought a Gear S3 to go with it but I really don't use either now.

Heebeejeebies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
New Jersey
I just have an S8 and I totally agree great looking phone. Had some fun playing with some launchers (Nova) and it has some tricks up its sleeve. I also bought a Gear S3 to go with it but I really don't use either now.

I hear people talking about launchers. What is that?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I hear people talking about launchers. What is that?
A launcher is a sort of "application" that acts as a way to move between Apps. On iOS, there's only one launcher called "Springboard". On Android, you can download a launcher, hit the home button (or perform whatever gesture brings you home) and you will get the option to change your default launcher.

For many owners of OEM hardware, NovaLauncher has been the go-to to get a pure android look. It changes where you go home to get home, but your settings menu and apps all still look the same.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
A launcher is a sort of "application" that acts as a way to move between Apps. On iOS, there's only one launcher called "Springboard". On Android, you can download a launcher, hit the home button (or perform whatever gesture brings you home) and you will get the option to change your default launcher.

For many owners of OEM hardware, NovaLauncher has been the go-to to get a pure android look. It changes where you go home to get home, but your settings menu and apps all still look the same.

What he said and to add to it.. Nova launcher has a lot of themes that allow you to modify how the icons look. I prefer Nova launcher there are a number of others like Google Launcher. Probably the nicest thing about Android is you can customize the interface however you want say for example you just want one icon in the lower right corner of a home screen with android you can do it, on iOS it will throw the icon in the upper left corner. You can also put widgets any place you like for example I usually place some sort of weather clock widget on my main home screen.

Just an FYI I paid for Nova:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=en

Heebeejeebies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
New Jersey
What he said and to add to it.. Nova launcher has a lot of themes that allow you to modify how the icons look. I prefer Nova launcher there are a number of others like Google Launcher. Probably the nicest thing about Android is you can customize the interface however you want say for example you just want one icon in the lower right corner of a home screen with android you can do it, on iOS it will throw the icon in the upper left corner. You can also put widgets any place you like for example I usually place some sort of weather clock widget on my main home screen.

Just an FYI I paid for Nova:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=en

Wow. Just tried it real quick. I'm all tingly. That's customization I didn't even know was possible.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
My advice would be to look at the Note 8 thread and read the posts from users who have bought and returned the Note 8. You will learn more about what the Note isn't and then you can forge your own path.

The most common complaint is:

"It's not an iPhone "

If you can keep telling yourself that, you will enjoy the device much more.

I find the Samsung apps and service excellent and i use them wherever possible over Google's half baked efforts outside of the States.

For contacts, the easy way would be to save/import as vcf files native to outlook and Samsung Contacts.

The Galaxy store is Samsungs link to its apps. Don't forget that Samsung serves many markets including some where google isnt welcome.

I strongly suggest you go through each setting and sub setting (including core apps) and get to know what the phone can do. By doing this, you will come across and enable excellent features such as samsung pass, knox, gind my mobile, encryption, ad blocking (browser) etc.

Don't worry about customization just yet. The Samsung experience is excellent. Get used to the Note before you start fiddling. Learn to use the pen, give the iris scanner a try, etc.

But do not sit there and wish it is something it isn't. For all it's bells whistles and flaws, it is perhaps one of the best android devices ever made. Enjoy it :)

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Wow. Just tried it real quick. I'm all tingly. That's customization I didn't even know was possible.

Favorite themes:

Pixel Icon Pack - Apex/Nova/Go
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ciaostudio.pixeliconpack&hl=en

MeeUi HD - ICON PACK
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tung91.meeuihd&hl=en

Pixel Dark Icon Pack - Apex/Nova/Go
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ciaostudio.pixeldarkiconpack&hl=en

Material Pop Free Icon Pack
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.themezilla.matpop&hl=en

The only issue is themes don't always theme every icon so I look for ones that at least make all the icons round for example. I think Pixel Dark and Material Pop are my favorites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.