Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wpwj40e

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Hi all from a new mac user(or soon to be!),

Bought a mini (updated one) for my parents over the holidays and was wanting one for me. Like everyone else - held out until MacWorld. No mini and the iMAC looked really nice...so made the leap.

Excuse the noob questions - but my only exposure to mac has been the mini and an ipod as a xmas gift....Now for some questions.. BTW - I got the iMAC 20 with 256 VRAM/2 GIG RAM/MODEM/500G HD - still cheaper than the dell xps believe it or not!(Although the dell did have better cpu specs - but it was windows and i have played with media center and hated it)

WIll the apple apps run natively on the iMAC or will they be running under Rosetta?

Can i move my itunes library over to the new imac from my current windows pc?

Can i update my ipod(manually - i know) from both my windows machine and the imac?

Can i move all my files over, vobs, docs etc. All created with windows apps?

Am so excited i cannot stand it. This is my first pc purchase(not including kids who build theirs!) for me in about 4 years. Although my machine is decent - I HATE windows and all the yuck that comes with it and really became enamored with Tiger by playing around with the mini for my parents. Everything was just so easy and worked!

Thanks for any help!!!
Therese

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
wpwj40e said:
Hi all from a new mac user(or soon to be!),

Congatulations!

Bought a mini (updated one) for my parents over the holidays and was wanting one for me. Like everyone else - held out until MacWorld. No mini and the iMAC looked really nice...so made the leap.

Excuse the noob questions - but my only exposure to mac has been the mini and an ipod as a xmas gift....Now for some questions.. BTW - I got the iMAC 20 with 256 VRAM/2 GIG RAM/MODEM/500G HD - still cheaper than the dell xps believe it or not!(Although the dell did have better cpu specs - but it was windows and i have played with media center and hated it)

WIll the apple apps run natively on the iMAC or will they be running under Rosetta?

All the apps that come with the iMac (excepting third party trials like Quicken and Office if they come with it) will run natively I believe.

Apps you have purchased may not.

Can i move my itunes library over to the new imac from my current windows pc?

Yup.
Can i update my ipod(manually - i know) from both my windows machine and the imac?

I think so, but don't ask me how.

Can i move all my files over, vobs, docs etc. All created with windows apps?

yep! As long as they aren't executables, they're not tied to a platform. If you have the appropriate program to open them (Word for .doc, for example) they should run.

Am so excited i cannot stand it. This is my first pc purchase(not including kids who build theirs!) for me in about 4 years. Although my machine is decent - I HATE windows and all the yuck that comes with it and really became enamored with Tiger by playing around with the mini for my parents. Everything was just so easy and worked!

Thanks for any help!!!
Therese

You're welcome, good to have you here! :)

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
wpwj40e said:

Congratulations, first off, on taking the plunge.

Second, you can use your iPod between both the Windows box and the iMac, but you'll need to make a quick change. When you connect the iPod to the iMac, wait for it to finish syncing and then hit the little iPod button down at the lower right of the iTunes window. This will bring up iPod preferences. You should deselect autosync and this will allow the iPod to connect to both, however the iPod will not automatically sync playlists and music from either machine. To do this, you'll need to pick a machine for the music to reside on and the iPod to connect to. You could always stream everything to the PC, instead.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
wpwj40e said:
BTW - I got the iMAC 20 with 256 VRAM/2 GIG RAM/MODEM/500G HD - still cheaper than the dell xps believe it or not!(Although the dell did have better cpu specs ...)
Actually, it doesn't. The Dell XPS are dual core P4s. You can compare the approximate CPU performance by multiplying the Intel Core Duo clock speed by 1.5 (probably should be more - the new Intels are supposedly 10-20% faster than the Pentium-Ms), so the 2GHz iMac should perform about the same as a dual core 3GHz P4. The lowest spec XPS (with dual core 2.8GHz P4) is not as fast (theoretically, I should add), and those with 3 GHz and 3.2 GHz dual core P4s are more expensive. And they run a lot hotter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.