Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Gov98,

It does seem odd, right? I bought my Penryn MBP last fall as the unibody was just released. Got a great deal because it had just been discontinued. When I went to register my AC down the road, the registration date was the day I purchased it from Amazon. So when the Genius told me today that my warranty started in March already, I was a bit shocked to be honest. But didn't really care.

Also, Gov98 - is the fan in your MBA making noise relatively early in your use of the MBA? I've just been using my MBA for about an hour, very light stuff (mail, firefox, tweetdeck open), and the fan is going strong. Genius said this is normal in MBA's, but it still concerns me a bit.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
tim100,

funny you should say that. i actually just returned a 13" mbp a few days ago. i had a big problem getting beach balls that would last for 30 seconds a few times every hour. this is a problem affecting other 13" mbp owners and if you want the full story, you can find it if you search under my other posts. the problem is also discussed on apple's discussion boards.

but, that certainly does not mean you'd have the same problem too. truth is the 13" mbp is a great computer (if you have no issues with it). for me personally, i decided i won't be using my laptop for anything more than basic use (web, email, itunes, movies, word). with that established, i wanted something super light and the easiest thing to carry around when i leave my home. also, i believe the current line of mbp's are more glossy than the macbook air because it has an edge to edge piece of glass as a display. there is also another post on mac rumors where a mba owner has photo proof that the mba's are less prone to glare. i'll report back after i use my new mba a bit to see if that is indeed true.

do you still prefer your air over the pro you returned?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Gov98,

It does seem odd, right? I bought my Penryn MBP last fall as the unibody was just released. Got a great deal because it had just been discontinued. When I went to register my AC down the road, the registration date was the day I purchased it from Amazon. So when the Genius told me today that my warranty started in March already, I was a bit shocked to be honest. But didn't really care.

Also, Gov98 - is the fan in your MBA making noise relatively early in your use of the MBA? I've just been using my MBA for about an hour, very light stuff (mail, firefox, tweetdeck open), and the fan is going strong. Genius said this is normal in MBA's, but it still concerns me a bit.

I NEVER hear the fan in my 2.13 GHz SSD model. I keep hearing about the fans, but I never hear them. Mine never blow fast or loudly... didn't in my 1.86 SSD either. Now my original MBA had fans blowing literally all the time, like a helicopter too.

I would just like to know what MBAs have fans blowing all the time??? Just original MBAs? Makes sense...

I have worked mine pretty hard and still never been a factor.

Gov98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Gov98,

I haven't really heard the fan at all...At the same time having 2 little ones keeping it loud in the house can make it hard to hear much...but haven't heard anything.

As to the A/C vs. Warranty issue...I suppose that is different...AppleCare registration period can probably be from whenever Apple wants to when they want it to stop...I do not think they can legally expire your warranty early (a different thing altogether) so that may be the difference. And well I don't know that the "genius" would know everything about the law, but if authorized retailers (like Best Buy) are saying the warranty is one year (look at Best Buy's website) and Apple is not honoring it I have every expectation that some class action lawyer would love some of that action!

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Here is the BB link to the REV B:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9119633&type=product&id=1218026345967

Tim100: I can't answer that question just yet. As of right now, I'm willing to accept the chirping sound that the Genius says is fine. However, my fans are going on about an hour in to using my MBA. We are talking very simple tasks (mail, firefox with no more than 2 or 3 tabs open, and tweetdeck). I told the Genius about the fans coming on often and he kinda shrugged it off saying it was fine because the MBA has one fan, the MBP in his words has two. But honestly, I'm not sure I can handle this. It's one thing to mentally block out a chirp. It's another thing entirely to pretend like everything is fine when the fans blast off so quickly when I'm doing so little. My MBP's fan only came on after long hours of use. Like 5 plus.

If I had to give my opinion right now, putting the fan issue aside, I'd go with the MBA simply because the screen does not have nearly as much glare as the MBP. However, I believe I was getting 2 hours more per charge with the MBP. I'm getting roughly 3 hrs with my MBA in normal use. 5 with the MBP. If my MBA didn't have the fan blaring and 5 hours of battery life, I'd be in heaven.

Gov98: I see your point for sure. How can you buy a new computer from a retail store, esp an authorized Apple reseller, then come to find your one year warranty is actually six months in? I might go to BB and confront them about this, see if I can get a new MBA for this issue. Gonna see how my fans react tomorrow during the day, keep an eye on the temps, maybe post here to see what people say, and then take action.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Saw this thread and wanted to share something.

I have seen 2 MBA and 1 MBP open box items at 2 different best buys around here.

thing i thought was weird is they all had a brownish tinge to the aluminum.

kina like making a picture antique or sepia.

it looked dirty buy did would not wipe off.

has anyone seen this before, if so what makes it turn color.

the MBA i saw yesterday was open box, all scratched up, had a dent on the lid from the security device. it was a rev b 1.6 for $1299.

i have a feeling they will have it awhile.

Gov98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Here is the BB link to the REV B:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9119633&type=product&id=1218026345967

Tim100: I can't answer that question just yet. As of right now, I'm willing to accept the chirping sound that the Genius says is fine. However, my fans are going on about an hour in to using my MBA. We are talking very simple tasks (mail, firefox with no more than 2 or 3 tabs open, and tweetdeck). I told the Genius about the fans coming on often and he kinda shrugged it off saying it was fine because the MBA has one fan, the MBP in his words has two. But honestly, I'm not sure I can handle this. It's one thing to mentally block out a chirp. It's another thing entirely to pretend like everything is fine when the fans blast off so quickly when I'm doing so little. My MBP's fan only came on after long hours of use. Like 5 plus.

If I had to give my opinion right now, putting the fan issue aside, I'd go with the MBA simply because the screen does not have nearly as much glare as the MBP. However, I believe I was getting 2 hours more per charge with the MBP. I'm getting roughly 3 hrs with my MBA in normal use. 5 with the MBP. If my MBA didn't have the fan blaring and 5 hours of battery life, I'd be in heaven.

Gov98: I see your point for sure. How can you buy a new computer from a retail store, esp an authorized Apple reseller, then come to find your one year warranty is actually six months in? I might go to BB and confront them about this, see if I can get a new MBA for this issue. Gonna see how my fans react tomorrow during the day, keep an eye on the temps, maybe post here to see what people say, and then take action.

I'd just go to Best Buy and see if they'd exchange, let them know about it and indicate why you're unsatisfied. I'm sure they'd be fine with it, because if they're trying to clear them out and customer returns it as problem with the system then open or not they send it back to Apple. I'm not certain but I bet Best Buy gets appropriately reimbursed for the situation, I bet as a result, it will be quite easy to do an exchange at Best Buy.

As it relates to the warranty, I doubt Best Buy is going to have much of an answer, I guess my thought is I don't believe the "Genius."

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Gov98,

I wish the Genius was wrong, but he was right in terms of my warranty.

I've attached a photo as proof when I enter my serial number. I'm definitely going to return my MBA at some point this weekend. Even if the fan is a non issue. I bought this MBA a few days ago and my warranty is set to expire in late March. There is something very wrong here. I'll speak to a manager (because as I bought the MBA they even said "your warranty is for one year under AppleCare"). I will play this angle with hopes that they will give me a new HDD Rev C for my troubles. If not, then I will really get mad if they charge me for a restocking fee.

Fingers crossed that they will give me a Rev C because chirping sound and fan revving aside, I love this computer.

In case your curious about your own MBA, click this link and enter your serial number to see when your one year warranty expires.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    202.7 KB · Views: 68

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I wish the Genius was wrong, but he was right in terms of my warranty.

This might not be a big deal, although typically, it's Apple that deals with it and not Best Buy. The problem arises because the computer's serial number was already activated in the Apple warranty database, either when it was registered the first time or (sometimes) automatically based on sales projections and manufacture dates.

When AT&T sold refurbished iPhones, the same thing would happen -- I bought mine in February of 2007, I think? And it indicated the warranty expiration date was October 2007. You just have to show Apple your receipt and they'll happily update your computer in their system. I believe you can do it either by faxing the receipt to them or by just going to an Apple store with the product and receipt.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Very interesting. Thanks for that.

If that is the case, I'm gonna wait and see how my fans react today, and go from there.

UPDATE: returned my MBA and got a 13" MBP instead. Fans blowing during Youtube videos was too much for me to accept.

Gov98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009

If that is the case, I'm gonna wait and see how my fans react today, and go from there.

UPDATE: returned my MBA and got a 13" MBP instead. Fans blowing during Youtube videos was too much for me to accept.

How did that go? Did they charge a restocking fee? Or did they cooperate. Sorry to hear that it didn't work out, but glad to hear that the problem was found before too late!

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I didn't play the warranty angle. Mainly because I was really unhappy with how my MBA would have it's fans start revving once I was watching videos on Youtube. I just wanted to get it exchanged.

Side note. BB charges 15% as a restocking fee. Apple's retail locations charge 10%.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

You would have had 10x the MBA experience IF you would have bought the SSD model. $1349 rev B 1.86/SSD. Spend any less you should prepare for disappointment.

If anyone wants to complain about their experience or buy a Pro model they have missed ever truly experiencing the MBA. The experience requires a 1.86/2.13 GHz CPU, Nvidia GPU, and SSD!

Want a full Mac experience and require the MBA to be your primary Mac? Add a 24" LED ACD, AEBS, and MobileMe.

The MBA shines when it has the components it needs to be a primary Mac. Don't expect to be cheap and get the HDD model to save a few bucks and get the real experience. The 4200 rpm HDD underwhelmes any Mac, so don't expect to be happy with it. Want to complain about a 1.6 GHz CPU working to display HD video when the very apps used recommend 2 GHz.

The MBA 2.13 GHz with SSD is a bargain at $1799. Spend $1549 and get it refurbished. Spend $1349 and get the 1.86 with SSD for a still wonderful experience. The cost of reducing weight and thinning the MBA is a little money. 18 months ago people were paying $3099 for 1/5th the experience. Don't expect to spend $1099 and get the full experience. At the same time, one can get a 2.13GHz/SSD MBA, 24" LED ACD, AEBS, and MobileMe for less than a rev B 1.86 GHz/SSD MBA cost just three months ago.

Be realistic with your expectations people! Don't go cheap and expect the full experience. It's cheaper than ever to get the full experience but it's not cheap!

In the end you get what you pay for!

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I didn't know I would need a SSD MBA in order to avoid this issue with the fan. I originally got my MBA at such a low price that I was thrilled that I could afford it. But given it's performance, even such a great deal did not matter in the end if I was unhappy with the laptop.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
I got one at my local Best Buy for $760, although it was open. Even included Snow Leopard & iLife 09. Now I just need to get a SSD to put in it..

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I didn't know I would need a SSD MBA in order to avoid this issue with the fan. I originally got my MBA at such a low price that I was thrilled that I could afford it. But given it's performance, even such a great deal did not matter in the end if I was unhappy with the laptop.

I don't have an Air with an SSD and I have zero fan issues. When I upgraded to SL I had some weird bug that was fixed with an SMC reset.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
When I say "fan issue" I'm talking about the fans revving up while watching Youtube video's. Maybe the fans are just doing their job, but to me it's extremely distracting.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
When I say "fan issue" I'm talking about the fans revving up while watching Youtube video's. Maybe the fans are just doing their job, but to me it's extremely distracting.

You weren't willing to pay the little extra money to get the innovative features that takes the MBA from a common ultraportable to a super thin and lightweight Mac that performs like its full version counterparts (MBPs).

Next time buy the SSD and better CPU if you want a better experience. The MBA shines when it has the components it needs to run like a bigger Mac in its Air form factor.

You cannot pay bottom dollar and expect to receive the premium luxuries afforded by SSD and a fully capable 2.13 GHz Low Voltage true Penryn Core 2 Duo CPU.

Be realistic with your expectations...

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
It wasn't an issue of paying "a little extra". I got my Rev B new for $909.

I wasn't expecting the "premium luxuries" of the SSD. I just didn't expect my MBA to starting making a ton of noise doing simple tasks like watching a Youtube video. I've moved on to a MBP and I'm perfectly happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.