Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Keep the comments coming on grease and dirt covering the white keyboard … I had the MK grey from last year and really want the white, so I bought it and will have both for now, but in the next 14 days I’d love to hear continued comments on how dirty it gets before my return period. Just in case … I’ll take care of it, but worried how messed up it will get.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Keep your hands clean before using the keyboard and you should be fine. Fingertip shine is what you will see on the keys and trackpad just like other keyboards, unless you use a cover. Many on the internet have made a bigger deal out of the Magic Keyboard getting dirty than it really needs to be.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
Honestly, I think you pick your poison on this one. I got the black, but it shows smudges on the case and finger oil on the keys probably worse than the white one. It’s kind of like a black car showing dust worse than a white one. If there’s a problem with white, I think it will be over time, longer than your return period. I shied away from white, and while I’m not sorry I chose black, I think there’s probably not a big difference between the two and get white if that’s what you like.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Honestly, I think you pick your poison on this one. I got the black, but it shows smudges on the case and finger oil on the keys probably worse than the white one. It’s kind of like a black car showing dust worse than a white one. If there’s a problem with white, I think it will be over time, longer than your return period. I shied away from white, and while I’m not sorry I chose black, I think there’s probably not a big difference between the two and get white if that’s what you like.
I have to agree. The black keyboard (well, grey actually) also shows a lot of grease, dust and random stains. I think it has something to do with the material of the keyboard.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
After using the white MKB since it was released mine is spotless. I remember the black one looking like Tony Montana’s desk after a week or two.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have had white mechanical keyboards for years. And if I happened to buy a black keyboard, I would change out the key caps to white.

I have a white iPhone case on my phone since the fall - still looks like new.

I agree that the black keyboards show shiny wear and grime more easily than the white. I bought the white keyboard to go with my silver IPP and love the look. I won’t worry about it and will clean when it gets yucky.

Let’s check back in 6 months with photos and compare the white vs black.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Still waiting for mine, was hoping it would arrive today, looks like it’ll arrive tomorrow now ?going to be a long 30 hours wait ??‍♂️?

04FB524A-A5BB-489D-A2CC-9D0A41954E7A.jpeg

Reactions: Bea220

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Still waiting for mine, was hoping it would arrive today, looks like it’ll arrive tomorrow now ?going to be a long 30 hours wait ??‍♂️?

View attachment 1785331
The wait is brutal, isn’t it? I have 2 final things coming this week for my new iPad and then I’m finished. I’m waiting on a white faux leather DBrands skin and a Nedrelow magic sleeve. Both should arrive by Friday. ?

Reactions: LFC2020 and Bea220

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
The wait is brutal, isn’t it? I have 2 final things coming this week for my new iPad and then I’m finished. I’m waiting on a white faux leather DBrands skin and a Nedrelow magic sleeve. Both should arrive by Friday. ?
I can’t wait to get my dbrand skins. As I was out running yesterday I began to wonder if maybe I should have gone to the mall to see if they have any kiosks that offer wrapping like this - just so that I don’t mess up the install.

Excited for us both to have our set up. Finally got my ESR case for tablet mode.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Hopefully they arrive earlier or on time ?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I can’t wait to get my dbrand skins. As I was out running yesterday I began to wonder if maybe I should have gone to the mall to see if they have any kiosks that offer wrapping like this - just so that I don’t mess up the install.

Excited for us both to have our set up. Finally got my ESR case for tablet mode.
I’m terrible at applying these kind of things also ?‍♂️? the amount of screen protectors I’ve stuffed up when I use to use them ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️? if you can’t find a kiosk, maybe YouTube videos ? good luck ??

• Love

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
I’m terrible at applying these kind of things also ?‍♂️? the amount of screen protectors I’ve stuffed up when I use to use them ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️? if you can’t find a kiosk, maybe YouTube videos ? good luck ??
Much appreciated. What color iPad did you get?

I got Space Gray but the MK in white. I just know I'll love typing on the white keys vs the black. Can't wait to wrap the board so I can stop stressing out about accidental smudge/dirt.

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
The spigen full screen with black border are excellent, comes with a tray so you can’t go wrong, from pro gadgets, $20 for 2 Pack.
I wouldn’t put a skin on the MKB.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Much appreciated. What color iPad did you get?

I got Space Gray but the MK in white. I just know I'll love typing on the white keys vs the black. Can't wait to wrap the board so I can stop stressing out about accidental smudge/dirt.
Always had a feeling you had great taste ? got the exact same combo as you, space grey iPad, white magic keyboard ????

I was wowed as soon as I saw the white magic keyboard at the apple store ??? If only I purchased it then ?‍♂️?

Make sure you post plenty of photos of your beast once you’ve finished installing your wrap, good luck ?

• Love

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
The spigen full screen with black border are excellent, comes with a tray so you can’t go wrong, from pro gadgets, $20 for 2 Pack.
I wouldn’t put a skin on the MKB.
Honestly prefer using my apple devices without a screen protector, been doing this for a while now, like the feel of the screen more without a screen protector.

• Love
Reactions: Surfman and Bea220

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I’m the “go to” in my family for screen protector installations. I use the steamy bathroom method and patiently work it until it is spot on with no dust. My son-in-law had me install film protectors on a bunch of touch screens that he had to install for his work. ?

Reactions: LFC2020 and Bea220

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I’m the “go to” in my family for screen protector installations. I use the steamy bathroom method and patiently work it until it is spot on with no dust. My son-in-law had me install film protectors on a bunch of touch screens that he had to install for his work. ?
Hope he was paying you for your good work ??

Reactions: haruhiko and Bea220

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
Now that we are beyond the 14 day return period (if you bought on launch day), is anyone interested in trading their 11” white magic keyboard for a black? I have a black magic keyboard that I’m going to get replaced via AppleCare+. They’ll provide a brand new one, but before I unwrap it I wanted to see if anyone was interested in trading colors. If interested DM or reply and we’ll talk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.