Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
I have just one MacBook, and 1 airport express. i have a cable modem. i live in manhattan.

on the airport, even plain ol' web browsing is arduous - a hollerback to dial up days. forget about streaming or large downloads - i can get a soda while waiting for the days email.

if i plug the cable modem straight into the macbook, i'm back up to cable speeds - i can even stream 720 hd movies from apple's website.

i have factory reseted the airport. i have turned on interference robustness on the macbook and airport. i have set the airport to channel 1 (everyone else is 6 or 11). i have jacked up the multicast to 24. i'm on g only. the networked is closed, and wpa personal secure. and i have cycled through a factory reset several times.

i'm growing desparate here. please help. cnet ranks me about 80-90 kbps per second over airport; plug up to the modem and i'm around 1500. even hijacking the neighbors unsecured channel 6 gets at least 500. this sucks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Do the settings in the Internet tab of AirPort Admin Utility mimic those in the Network pane of System Preferences on the MacBook (under Ethernet)? Does your ISP require a DNS Server? :)

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Yes, all settings are the same - and it's only auto dhcp. this is really pissing me off - i'm paying $30/month for the cable and blew over $130 on the damn airport, and yet i'm still hijacking slower connections because my wi-fi operates at ISDL speeds. this is god damn ridiculous. apple says the thing is out of warranty so they won't give me a new one.

I trying to think i'm doing something wrong - i want to think i am. but i just can't imagine what it can be.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
get this - turning off IPv6 in the TCP/IP settings has me back up to over 2kbps! fancy that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.