Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Sometimes when I'm thinking really hard I'll repeatedly pick up and drop my Apple Pencil by a few centimeters onto its tip on the table as a way of fidgeting. And that got me thinking, how much impulse (as defined in physics as change in momentum) can the tip as well as the mechanism underneath withstand? I know it should be quite a bit because the Apple Pencil incorporates a strain gauge that's meant to handle a lot of force, but... I don't know.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
It's amazing the things we sometimes wonder about, randomly.
I sometimes wonder how much wood could a wood chopper chop if a wood chopper could chop wood.

• Haha
Reactions: bondr006

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Sometimes when I'm thinking really hard I'll repeatedly pick up and drop my Apple Pencil by a few centimeters onto its tip on the table as a way of fidgeting. And that got me thinking, how much impulse (as defined in physics as change in momentum) can the tip as well as the mechanism underneath withstand? I know it should be quite a bit because the Apple Pencil incorporates a strain gauge that's meant to handle a lot of force, but... I don't know.
so go and do your own experiment… seems straight forward, right? ?

please do not forget to report your results. ?

if you referring to the force which is defined as the change in momentum produced by force, and which is equal to the product of force and the time for which it acts - what do you expect from obtaining that information?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I dropped my pencil on the floor and it hit on the tip. Bent the new of the tip and it didn’t track as well. Replaced tip and it was good as new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.