Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dupedd

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I've been hanging around Macrumors for a couple weeks and have spent most of my time trying to decide if it's worth it to buy the Macpro now or wait and it seems it's not really worth it for me to wait. qIt doesn't seem like quad-core prices will drop that significantly when and if 8-cores come out.... and it's not worth waiting a couple or a few months for......same thing with the idea of waiting for Leopard. I could get the upgrade if I want later on. See, right now I am going crazy with my Dell Dimension xps from 2000 or whenever. I'm really anxious to start my digital home studio and the few months of potential waiting and money saved just don't seem worth it.

Anyway, that aside, I'm still confused on RAM upgrade configurtions. I'll be getting a 2.66ghz 1(2x512mb) RAM and I want to upgrade, buying from other sources, to at least 1gb more, so I need to to know, what is the best way to config.? (2x512mb) vs (1x1gb), or (4x512mb) vs (2x1gb) and which slots?
Today the recommended RAM sites had these prices and selections:

Crucial: 512mbx2 $157, 1GBx2 $293
OWC: 512mbX2 $174, 512mbX4 $349, 1GBx2 $249
DMS: 512MBx2 $198, 512MB x4 $396

I willing to upgrade to either 2 or 3GB at this point so a recommendation on the best route would be very helpful.

Also, what's with OWC's Apple certified vs. Apple qualified rating for the RAM they sell?

Thanks alot you all. This site has been very helpful to me in making my decisions to buy my first Mac.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
You *must* install RAM in pairs, and having 4 of the same size in the right slots gives you some extra stuff.

Therefore if you want to go for 2GB, I'd suggest 2x512MB, if you want 3GB you might as well go for 2x1GB and save space on your risers.

I'd go for Apple Certified, as Apple has very strict heat tolerances.

hessdesigns

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
I saw that Crucial set (2x512gb) for $154 today as well (it's on sale at New Egg). I've heard good things about Crucial in these forums, but these are the cheapest I've seen for the Mac Pro. Here's the link to the product page. Any reason these are so cheap? I'm thinking about getting these, but not sure if it's too good to be true!

dupedd

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Thanks Silentwave. So then what if I do have 2x1gb's that I buy, I'll not have 4 of the same, I'll have 2 of each. How do I configure these in the slots?

Believe it or not, this is all very new to me.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.